Supressor should be allowed for LTC/ CHL holder?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 1

Supressor should be allowed for LTC/ CHL holder?

Post by bmwrdr »

Are there any forum members with a valid LTC/ CHL who would mutually agree with my thought about the legal possession of a silencer without the currently required and difficult regulations? If so please post your thoughts. Thank you in advance.

:tiphat:

Edited title, changed the term "silencer" to "suppressor."
Last edited by bmwrdr on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Re: Silencer should be allowed for LTC/ CHL holder?

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

It should be regulated in the same way as a long gun - NICS background check and you buy it. No tax stamp, no etched name/trust on it, etc.

Please see http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=87563 and contact your representatives and senators!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

The Wall
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Wall »

I don't know why they need to be registered, regulated or licensed period for anyone. I wish people would quit calling them silencers. There's no such thing. They suppress not silence. And without the right ammo they don't do a very good job of that either. Why don't they license and register camouflaged guns since they are harder to see? Just liked suppressed guns are harder to hear.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

superchief wrote:Why limit it to LTC holders? Tell your representatives to support the "Hearing Protection Act" and let freedom ring!
Be careful of what you wish for. When they find out how well they work it may become mandatory for all guns. :lol: Where I live, every year residence complain about the noise from the duck hunters. It has been brought up to require suppressors on their guns. Amazing how the sound carries over the water. Doesn't bother me.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The Wall wrote:I don't know why they need to be registered, regulated or licensed period for anyone. I wish people would quit calling them silencers. There's no such thing. They suppress not silence. And without the right ammo they don't do a very good job of that either. Why don't they license and register camouflaged guns since they are harder to see? Just liked suppressed guns are harder to hear.
This^^^
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
The Wall wrote:I don't know why they need to be registered, regulated or licensed period for anyone. I wish people would quit calling them silencers. There's no such thing. They suppress not silence. And without the right ammo they don't do a very good job of that either. Why don't they license and register camouflaged guns since they are harder to see? Just liked suppressed guns are harder to hear.
This^^^
I heard many countries in Europe require them if you go hunting. Could become another charge!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

jason812

Post by jason812 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:It should be regulated in the same way as a long gun - NICS background check and you buy it. No tax stamp, no etched name/trust on it, etc.

Please see http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=87563 and contact your representatives and senators!
That's the first step but why should they be treated like a firearm? If you can legally possess a firearm, the amount of noise it makes shouldn't matter. You can legally make your own firearm without letting the government know. Treat a suppressor the same way and I will make my own and save some dollar bills doing so.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

superchief wrote:Why limit it to LTC holders? Tell your representatives to support the "Hearing Protection Act" and let freedom ring!
Hear! Hear! I agree with that as does the ringing in my ears!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TreyHouston wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
This^^^
I heard many countries in Europe require them if you go hunting. Could become another charge!
And in many European countries, the hard part is getting gun. You can buy the suppressor at a hardware store, and it costs about $35.

https://www.amazon.com/Lawn-Mower-Muffl ... =155375011
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Re: Supressor should be allowed for LTC/ CHL holder?

Post by rotor »

If you can legally own a gun why can't you just go out and buy a silencer? If you can legally own a semi-auto carbine why can't you own a fully auto carbine? These are both "legal" items with a complicated and expensive taxation to own. I am not talking about grenades or items that are technically illegal but items that if you jump through the loops and pay the dollars you can own now.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

It should be as regulated as a bugle mute.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

rotor wrote:If you can legally own a gun why can't you just go out and buy a silencer? If you can legally own a semi-auto carbine why can't you own a fully auto carbine? These are both "legal" items with a complicated and expensive taxation to own. I am not talking about grenades or items that are technically illegal but items that if you jump through the loops and pay the dollars you can own now.
If you're willing to jump through the hoops, spend the money, and find someone who will sell it to you you can buy a mortar and ammunition or a grenade launcher and grenades. What you can't do is buy a full auto that was made after 1986... So yes to cannons but no to automatic Glock 18's. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS

Delete

Post by ScottDLS »

Wrong topic area.
Last edited by ScottDLS on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

rotor

Post by rotor »

ScottDLS wrote:
rotor wrote:If you can legally own a gun why can't you just go out and buy a silencer? If you can legally own a semi-auto carbine why can't you own a fully auto carbine? These are both "legal" items with a complicated and expensive taxation to own. I am not talking about grenades or items that are technically illegal but items that if you jump through the loops and pay the dollars you can own now.
If you're willing to jump through the hoops, spend the money, and find someone who will sell it to you you can buy a mortar and ammunition or a grenade launcher and grenades. What you can't do is buy a full auto that was made after 1986... So yes to cannons but no to automatic Glock 18's. :rules:
Which is why a .45 Tommy Gun sells for $30K and a semi-auto (new) one is what $1,200 or so. I really don't want a mortar or cannon but I might want a Thompson sub if it were affordable just to play with and don't see why I should not be able to buy one without going through all the hassle. Silencers, machine guns, toys for people. Silencer may have some value as more than a toy if they help with hearing loss prevention but for most people I think they are in the toy category, which is OK.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”