Armed citizens patrol SA neighborhoods

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Armed citizens patrol SA neighborhoods

Post by rotor »

How unfortunate that there is a need for armed vigilantes for home protection. These people will not have the legal protection that LEO have when the you know what hits the fan. It's one thing to have volunteer firefighters and another to have volunteer armed police with armored vests and marked vehicles. Wait until there is a problem. Remember Zimmerman? Trials can go either way and the expense can be enormous. Justice is not always rendered.

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

crazy2medic wrote:The thing I see coming is the liberal press will make them out to be a bunch of blood thirsty vigilantes, if they should happen to shoot a bad guy then it'll be made out that they were just lookin to kill somebody!

me personally I think there should more of this, people taking responsibility to protect their own!
All neighbors should be polled to determine their stance on liberty and the 2nd Amendment. Liberal anti-2A neighbors should be allowed to have their stuff stolen. :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Heaven help them if they shoot a black teenager......
-Ruark

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Well, in Dallas...
the (police) department’s goal is to answer the most serious calls within 8 minutes. The department’s response time is currently just over 8 minutes. However, response times for priority two calls, which include domestic disturbances, now average almost 22 minutes.

Dallas police have lost 244 officers this fiscal year. The department is on track to lose well over 300 this fiscal year.The department currently has about 3,177 on staff including about 100 rookies that are in the academy. It’s about 500 officers fewer than the department had six years ago.

Police officials are concerned the department will soon be at that 3,000 officer tipping point and the department won’t be able to keep up with the rising call load.

“The problem is you don’t have enough officers so it’ll take longer for us to respond to crime,” said Mika Mata, President of the Dallas Police Association. “Crime will obviously shoot through the roof. Violent crime is already rising. The public needs to get ready. It’s going to get worse.”

Overall crime is down about 4.6 percent through the first part of April. Property crime is down about 6.1 percent.

But violent crime was up about 2.2 percent, driven mostly by rises in the city’s aggravated assault numbers.
Source:
http://www.khou.com/news/local/texas/de ... /433911596
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

rotor wrote:How unfortunate that there is a need for armed vigilantes for home protection. These people will not have the legal protection that LEO have when the you know what hits the fan. It's one thing to have volunteer firefighters and another to have volunteer armed police with armored vests and marked vehicles. Wait until there is a problem. Remember Zimmerman? Trials can go either way and the expense can be enormous. Justice is not always rendered.
What we need is the Bexar County sheriff to swear 'em in as a posse, and give them a shiny tin badge to wear. :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

RPBrown wrote:
suthdj wrote:They are just a group of people walking around checking things out getting some fresh air an exercise while exercising their 2A. Nobody asked them to do it and nobody is paying them to do it.

However they are going around in Marked vehicles.
Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with it but want to know how they circumvent the security license law when we cant even get the legislature to pass an okay for volunteer church security.
I would guess they are not organized from a higher central authority eg.. a church is how this might be skirted maybe members of the church can/are doing same thing. IANAL and this is all guessing.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Well, in Dallas...
the (police) department’s goal is to answer the most serious calls within 8 minutes. The department’s response time is currently just over 8 minutes. However, response times for priority two calls, which include domestic disturbances, now average almost 22 minutes.

Dallas police have lost 244 officers this fiscal year. The department is on track to lose well over 300 this fiscal year.The department currently has about 3,177 on staff including about 100 rookies that are in the academy. It’s about 500 officers fewer than the department had six years ago.

Police officials are concerned the department will soon be at that 3,000 officer tipping point and the department won’t be able to keep up with the rising call load.

“The problem is you don’t have enough officers so it’ll take longer for us to respond to crime,” said Mika Mata, President of the Dallas Police Association. “Crime will obviously shoot through the roof. Violent crime is already rising. The public needs to get ready. It’s going to get worse.”

Overall crime is down about 4.6 percent through the first part of April. Property crime is down about 6.1 percent.

But violent crime was up about 2.2 percent, driven mostly by rises in the city’s aggravated assault numbers.
Source:
This is what happens when you cut pay and benefits. Cops will go elsewhere to the greener fields. Dallas needs to do whatever it takes to make their department more attractive to officers. I see these rookies only staying a year or so then moving on to better paying departments.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

nightmare69 wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:Well, in Dallas...

Source:
This is what happens when you cut pay and benefits. Cops will go elsewhere to the greener fields. Dallas needs to do whatever it takes to make their department more attractive to officers. I see these rookies only staying a year or so then moving on to better paying departments.
Yep. Seems a little ironic that Dallas was "up in arms" over San Antonio actively recruiting DPD officers. Neither city seems to have their stuff together.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

stroo

Post by stroo »

Does anyone know if the neighborhoods they are watching are high crime?

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

bblhd672 wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:The thing I see coming is the liberal press will make them out to be a bunch of blood thirsty vigilantes, if they should happen to shoot a bad guy then it'll be made out that they were just lookin to kill somebody!

me personally I think there should more of this, people taking responsibility to protect their own!
All neighbors should be polled to determine their stance on liberty and the 2nd Amendment. Liberal anti-2A neighbors should be allowed to have their stuff stolen. :biggrinjester:
:txflag: get onboard or get out!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Crime is one of the hazards of living in an urban area. I had to almost knock my nephew and his wife over the head to make them realize leaving their garage door open during daylight and early evening was a bad, really bad idea. His wife was a stay-at-home homeschooler and alone all day (except for the kids.) For me I love living on our small ranch. Everybody around here is armed and if the dogs don't get you first, the rancher will if you try a home invasion.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

When I was growing up (pre-internet, pre-pc, etc) I was taught that the word "COP" was an acronym for the phrase " Citizen on Patrol". I see now that wiki says it came from "Constable on Patrol". But anyway it's not a new concept.
N5PNZ

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

2farnorth wrote:When I was growing up (pre-internet, pre-pc, etc) I was taught that the word "COP" was an acronym for the phrase " Citizen on Patrol". I see now that wiki says it came from "Constable on Patrol". But anyway it's not a new concept.
I was told when I was in high school that it goes back to police and copper badges. Cop being the nickname referencing the guys with the copper badges.

I never gave it more thought until now and did a quick google search and found an interesting write up on Snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/cop.asp

and excerpt from that Snopes article:
"....the police-specific use of “cop” made its way into the English language in far more languid fashion. “Cop” has long existed as a verb meaning “to take or seize,” but it didn’t begin to make the linguistic shifts necessary to turn it into a casual term for “police officer” until the mid-19th century. The first example of ‘cop’ taking the meaning “to arrest” appeared in print around 1844, and the word then swiftly moved from being solely a verb for “take into police custody” to also encompassing a noun referring to the one doing the detaining."

It goes on a bit from there. The Snopes article also references the wikipedia entry.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”