What we have been saying.....

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stever1950
Posts in topic: 1

What we have been saying.....

Post by stever1950 »

I just read an article from an online computer magazine called ZDNet, written by Danny Palmer.
The UK is trying to force internet providers and messaging apps to provide a 'backdoor' into their encryption so they can find terrorists.
If you substitute the word internwet with gun... sure sounds familiar.

"Then there's also the risk that severe regulation of the internet will only hamper regular users, while criminals remain unaffected as they continue to find new ways of staying under the radar.

"How completely stupid is that? Every time we see regulation, we see regular folks being impacted and criminals not being impacted", said Peter Wood, an ethical hacker and member the ISACA London Security Advisory Group.

"How is banning an encrypted algorithm from the US going to sort out criminals in any way? Do they really think terrorists will think 'I'm not allowed to, so I won't use it," he continued. "The naivety astounds me.""

Hmm.. no guns allowed sign prevents shootings and armed robbery... Just found the similarity interesting.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

Liberty

Re: What we have been saying.....

Post by Liberty »

Was a time that encryption technology was considered munitions.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

John has a long mustache. Simple single use codes for important stuff.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

hovercat wrote:John has a long mustache. Simple single use codes for important stuff.
Vive la liberte!
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The chair is by the door.

Crypto gear was my favorite stuff in the radio room.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Liberty wrote:Was a time that encryption technology was considered munitions.
Some still is, though only for export purposes.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

bblhd672 wrote:The chair is by the door.

Crypto gear was my favorite stuff in the radio room.
Ha ha....it was my favorite too, until I had to document (in blood, with countersignature), that I had destroyed it all before they de-commissioned my ship. :mrgreen:

Imagine the Captain's surprise when he saw me with a blow torch on the fantail burning circuit boards from a KW-7. Finally NSA told us we could throw it in 1000 fathoms or more of ocean, since they were obsolete. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

KLB

Post by KLB »

hovercat wrote:John has a long mustache. Simple single use codes for important stuff.
My freshman college roommate and I were friends with a guy who was still a high school senior. We were at UT Austin, and we knew he was about to come to town. We wanted to let him know how to contact us, so (revealing how long ago this was), we sent the following telegram, which was actually delivered to him in class:

"The dove flies low over Moscow tonight. Call xxx-xxxx upon arrival in capital."

It worked.

apostate

Post by apostate »

ScottDLS wrote:
I recall 20-25 years ago, t-shirts with RSA code that were classified as munitions under ITAR, and thus illegal to export from the US.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

apostate wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
I recall 20-25 years ago, t-shirts with RSA code that were classified as munitions under ITAR, and thus illegal to export from the US.
Still have mine.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”