Rep. Brian Babin (R-TX 36) thinks he's better than you

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

miljet
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rep. Brian Babin (R-TX 36) thinks he's better than you

Post by miljet »

I can't remember the last time I was as angry as I was when I first read about this last night. I simply do not believe that any "Congress Critter's" life is more important than anyone else.

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

miljet wrote:I can't remember the last time I was as angry as I was when I first read about this last night. I simply do not believe that any "Congress Critter's" life is more important than anyone else.
Exactly!!!!! This is the proverbial dangling Carrot they like to present to the peasants with the promise they will expand it! Nothing but hogwash!

equin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by equin »

I agree with the sentiments on here. To me, it sends a message of elitism. More importantly, it is insulting to the families of defenseless murder victims in a city known for its high murder and crime rates - as if their lives are unimportant. But as soon as a member of Congress becomes a victim of a despicable act of violence, then all of a sudden legislation is proposed exempting Congress from the draconian gun laws that impose defenselessness upon everyone else. I've already written my Congressman about this, and threw in my request (again) urging him to also vote dor and support the HPA and the National Reciprocity Act for good measure.
Ed

rotor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rotor »

From everything I see Brian Babin has an excellent record on 2ndA issues. I don't take this as a "he's better than you" issue. I take this as a grab the sentiment moment and get something passed now which can be a stepping stone to reciprocity for all. There is a target over congress peoples heads now with the crazies out there and this has a better chance of passing right after the shooting incident.

doncb

Post by doncb »

rotor wrote:Snip.... get something passed now which can be a stepping stone to reciprocity for all.....Snip
Yeah, hmmm, nope.

This is kind of like in Texas. "Maybe in 2 years...."

Congress treats themselves as a special class all of the time. A prime example is the Affordable Care Act. They foist it on the common folk (us) and exempt themselves. They keep their "Cadillac" healthcare while penalizing companies that provide good benefits.

He isn't calling for reciprocity for EVERYBODY. Nope. Just for THEM. Why not call for reciprocity for EVERYONE? "Let's pass something that will benefit our constituents?" (Laughter breaks out. "rlol" )
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

doncb,

Excellent, spot on post.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Judging by the twitter response to his post announcing this, there are others who aren't thrilled with this proposal.
NRA lifetime member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I do agree they are a special class...of completely unethical an often downright criminal class and that applies to all parties...

I'd like to propose when caught being criminal they vote themselves subject to treble the fine and/or prison sentence the average American is subject to for say... fraud, or perjury or ...well, the list is endless...

equin

Post by equin »

Ed

greyjack

Post by greyjack »

equin wrote:Another article on the issue:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ess-first/
:hurry:

The bills they propose and the laws they pass tell the world if they aim to be public servants or our overlords.

rotor

Post by rotor »

And retired LEO are better than us? Apparently they are.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Babin said:
[Congressmen] are high-profile targets of lone wolf shooters, as we saw [June 14]. We are also high-profile targets of Muslim and other terrorists, and that distinguishes us from the general public. The general public needs to have the right to bear arms to defend themselves from criminal activity. We not only have to be able to defend ourselves from criminal activity, but also from the high-profile target status that we are burdened with as members of the United States Congress.
Mr. Babin, please give me two lists: the first a list of all congressmen killed by terrorists, and the second a list of all private citizens who have been killed by terrorists. You already know which list has a big fat goose egg on it, and which has 50 or more people on it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Babin said:
[Congressmen] are high-profile targets of lone wolf shooters, as we saw [June 14]. We are also high-profile targets of Muslim and other terrorists, and that distinguishes us from the general public. The general public needs to have the right to bear arms to defend themselves from criminal activity. We not only have to be able to defend ourselves from criminal activity, but also from the high-profile target status that we are burdened with as members of the United States Congress.
Mr. Babin, please give me two lists: the first a list of all congressmen killed by terrorists, and the second a list of all private citizens who have been killed by terrorists. You already know which list has a big fat goose egg on it, and which has 50 or more people on it.
Had 2 assigned police officers not been present we might right now have been looking at a very different government. Imagine 8 republican house members killed by a nut case. I think the very legislative agenda of the republican party could have been destroyed by this one gunman. It is not that the congress people are better than us but that the balance of power for legislation could be shifted by one person. Look at how much money was spent in Georgia on one race. The only reason those police were there is because of the majority whip being there. I don't like the idea of treating any class differently. Not LEO, judges or any others. But think of the ramifications of killing a bunch of legislators on the basis of their party. Could have drastic effects on all of us. I do believe that legislators are potential sitting ducks. Nuff said on the subject.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rotor wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Babin said:
Had 2 assigned police officers not been present we might right now have been looking at a very different government. Imagine 8 republican house members killed by a nut case. I think the very legislative agenda of the republican party could have been destroyed by this one gunman. It is not that the congress people are better than us but that the balance of power for legislation could be shifted by one person. Look at how much money was spent in Georgia on one race. The only reason those police were there is because of the majority whip being there. I don't like the idea of treating any class differently. Not LEO, judges or any others. But think of the ramifications of killing a bunch of legislators on the basis of their party. Could have drastic effects on all of us. I do believe that legislators are potential sitting ducks. Nuff said on the subject.
Then all they have to do is pass national reciprocity. If it's a question of where congressmen can carry versus ordinary citizens, then amend the national reciprocity bill to expand it for congressmen, but don't just leave the rest of us out in the cold.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Then all they have to do is pass national reciprocity.
Or better yet, ensure every citizen is free to exercise their 2A rights without infringement by federal, state or local government.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”