Carrying an empty holster

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SIGFan43
Posts in topic: 2

Carrying an empty holster

Post by SIGFan43 »

Has anyone ever worn an empty holster inside of a premises with 30.06/30.07 signs? I've done it in my apartment's leasing office, which is signed 30.06/30.07, and no one noticed or said a word. If you've done this, what happened in your experience?
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying an empty holster

Post by imkopaka »

I do that in Costco ever since they gave me oral notice. I don't know why, I guess I feel like I'm making a statement or something. I'm sure no one's noticed, but I do it almost spitefully. Like, "Hey LOOK everybody, I DISARMED like you WANTED ME TO. DOES THIS MAKE YOU HAPPY??" :grumble
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I have done it a couple of times at places I had to enter but always leave my spare mag in place and my knife, so far no one has said a word!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have done that once. I was moving on a very hot day and really needed some water. The convenience store I pulled into had a 30.06 and 30.07 on the door. So I unholstered my 1911 and wore the empty holster into the store. The clerk's mouth dropped open but he didn't say anything about my lack of a gun.

To me, this is a clear and straightforward way to show that you are complying with the property owners wishes for you to not carry that one specific weapon in their store. And I would probably do the same if I was to go into another 30.06 posted location in the future. Of course I would also make sure that I had other, non-offending, weapons with me, like a knife, or a rifle.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lynyrd »

I carry an empty holster every time I go to the doctor's office. My mag pouch, with a mag in it, are still attached to my belt. My doctor does not own the building, and can't set policy. The first time I did it he complimented my holster, and apologized for the signs. The people there are pretty much used to it by now, but I did get a startled glance from a new receptionist last week.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Yes I've done it while still having loaded magazines on the left side of the belt.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I openly carry my S&W M&P Mod 2.0, 9mm, 5 inch, FDE, in a Safariland 7TS ALS with Guard and QLS. I can easily detach the holstered pistol from my belt, if need be, leaving the empty QLS receiver. Not quite the same as an empty holster, but same basic idea. My multiple spare magazines are always visible on my support side.
https://www.safariland.com/products/hol ... ng-system/
Last edited by oljames3 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I wore an empty holster to jury duty. Guard asked of I was a LEO, i said "no". Waved me through. I didn't get picked for jury . :headscratch
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lynyrd »

TreyHouston wrote:I wore an empty holster to jury duty. Guard asked of I was a LEO, i said "no". Waved me through. I didn't get picked for jury . :headscratch
:thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :cheers2:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

TreyHouston wrote:I wore an empty holster to jury duty. Guard asked of I was a LEO, i said "no". Waved me through. I didn't get picked for jury . :headscratch
Excellent! New method for getting dismissed from jury duty. :mrgreen:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Yeah, I had to walk in to the Zion NP office to pull a permit. I was OCing a G21 that whole trip. I walked in with an empty Safariland 7390 holster.

Got a strange look from one woman.

In a completely unrelated note, appendix Mexican carry with a Glock 21 is not fun, even if just for 5 minutes. Again, completely unrelated...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

Done it at courtroom body scan recently at large county courthouse. Just dropped in with my belt into the bucket to pass. Asked what I like to carry in it was all. Strapped back on on other side and went to court.

Topic author
SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

I got distracted one time at a hospital, where I went to have blood drawn in the lab, walked into the lab. When I remembered I was wearing an empty holster, I apologized to the female tech for the empty holster, and she said, "I don't care if you had a loaded gun in that holster, but the hospital wouldn't like it." Before the hospital posted valid 30.06 signs, I carried a pocket holster with a .38 revolver on every visit, but one time, my doctor was assisting me pulling my pants down to look at my leg, and it scared me a little. I didn't know he was going to look at my leg that I complained about. I always carry a semi-auto now on my belt, and it's easier to remember where my gun is at. :roll:
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I'm guessing you guys are talking about an empty OWB holster that's open carried? Anytime I've had to "carry" a holster without a gun (Post Office/FedEx), no one would have been the wiser as it's not really visible anyway with what I generally wear.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote:I'm guessing you guys are talking about an empty OWB holster that's open carried? Anytime I've had to "carry" a holster without a gun (Post Office/FedEx), no one would have been the wiser as it's not really visible anyway with what I generally wear.
I am assuming the same. I have carried an empty OWB holster several times and nobody noticed or reacted or cared. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”