What would you do

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Stormvet
Posts in topic: 5

What would you do

Post by Stormvet »

Please watch video and tell me what's the right thing to do if you where a 3rd party in this situation.
1. If you witnessed the action.
2. If you were the gentleman walking in.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What would you do

Post by Flightmare »

Video has been removed from facebook
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Stormvet

Post by Stormvet »

Got the video off KTRE channel 9 east Texas web site.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjabread »

This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Topic author
Stormvet

Post by Stormvet »

Facebook has pulled the video. Sorry. It was a graphic vid of a guy 1 walking into a store to pay for gas. A guy 2 in front of him sees his cash, takes his wallet and when guy 1 confronts him, guy 2 beats him unconscious. The gearing lasted a good 20 seconds. No one helped.
Does a third party have the right to draw weapon and defend guy #1?

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Is this what you're trying to post?
https://www.facebook.com/lufkinpolicede ... 490853324/
Sorry, posting the video directly to the forums does not work. I was able to at least post a link.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

NavAir

Post by NavAir »

Stormvet wrote:Does a third party have the right to draw weapon and defend guy #1?
Absolutely. The thug could have easily killed him. I like to think that I would have drawn, yelled for the thug to stop a few times, and if he didn't, or he advanced on me, I would have popped him. If he ran out, I would have held fire. One never knows for sure until you are in that situation, but about thirty five years ago, I did have to draw on someone breaking down the front door of my apartment in Philly. They were literally 5 pounds of pressure away from dying and didn't know it.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I hope anyone who is armed would have intervened. I would have established a safe distance then gained the attackers attention. He would have been forced to stop the attack or be shot. If I came late to the attack and had seen the attacker leave, I would have followed at a safe distance, called 911 and taken video.

Topic author
Stormvet

Post by Stormvet »

Flightmare wrote:Is this what you're trying to post?
https://www.facebook.com/lufkinpolicede ... 490853324/
Sorry, posting the video directly to the forums does not work. I was able to at least post a link.

Yes it is

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It depends. If I was alone and had seen the whole thing and was certain that this was a robbery followed by an assault, I would have intervened. If I had others with me, their safety would take priority over the well being of a stranger, but I would have intervened if able to consistent with that higher priority. If I came in later and was uncertain of exactly what was happening that would have been trickier.

Intervention would be an escalation of verbal to display of weapon, to use of deadly force. Stopping when the attack stopped. I would not have felt the need to stop the BG from escaping once the attack was stopped. That is my personal approach. Others may certainly take a different line.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Even if unarmed, if all the guy is doing is beating him with hands, fists, and or feet, I would have intervened. If the attacker had a knife I would probably throw something heavy at his head. Then I would find something to arm myself with quickly.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is my OPINION, not legal advice.
Emphasis is mine.
PC §9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON.
(a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:

(1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and
(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to protect the actor against the other’s use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or
(B) to prevent the other’s imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.
(b) The actor’s belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:
(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the deadly force was used:
(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor’s occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;
(B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor’s habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; or
(C) was committing or attempting to commit an offense described by Subsection (a)(2)(B);
(2) did not provoke the person against whom the force was used; and
(3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic at the time the force was used.
ETA:
Sec. 29.02. ROBBERY. (a) A person commits an offense if, in the course of committing theft as defined in Chapter 31 and with intent to obtain or maintain control of the property, he:
(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another
; or
(2) intentionally or knowingly threatens or places another in fear of imminent bodily injury or death.
(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree.

Sec. 29.03. AGGRAVATED ROBBERY. (a) A person commits an offense if he commits robbery as defined in Section 29.02, and he:
(1) causes serious bodily injury to another;

(2) uses or exhibits a deadly weapon; or
(3) causes bodily injury to another person or threatens or places another person in fear of imminent bodily injury or death, if the other person is:
(A) 65 years of age or older; or
(B) a disabled person.
(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the first degree.
(c) In this section, "disabled person" means an individual with a mental, physical, or developmental disability who is substantially unable to protect himself from harm.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

http://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/lo ... /786160626
Editor's Note: This video is graphic in nature and should not be watched by all audiences.
I disagree - everyone should be required to watch this video and understand the depravity that exists around them so they can better prepare to deal with it.
In the video, you can allegedly see Vanzandt beat up Archer.

"Allegedly" he was a good young man who made a mistake. :banghead:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

bblhd672 wrote:http://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/lo ... /786160626
Editor's Note: This video is graphic in nature and should not be watched by all audiences.
I disagree - everyone should be required to watch this video and understand the depravity that exists around them so they can better prepare to deal with it.
In the video, you can allegedly see Vanzandt beat up Archer.

"Allegedly" he was a good young man who made a mistake. :banghead:
There is only one way to cure that sociopath. :mad5
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

lama

Post by lama »

Am I reading it correctly that it was for $35? Sociopath might be a bit kind.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”