Best thing we can do for our gun rights - now more than ever

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sig-sog
Posts in topic: 1

Best thing we can do for our gun rights - now more than ever

Post by sig-sog »

Take someone shooting that is new to guns. Talk to them about the Bill of Rights while you're at it.

Join the NRS, TSRA, SAF of whatever. Or don't. But whatever we do let's recruit.

The more of us the better.

Vol Texan

Re: Best thing we can do for our gun rights - now more than ever

Post by Vol Texan »

Yes, yes, yes!

We must always be good ambassadors for the 2A. ThT includes taking any chance we can to bring a new shooter to the range, engage in positive discussions when situations allow, and IF you choose to OC, dress and act as professionally as you can.

And when you do bring the timid new shooter to the range, open up with safety first, and start them out with something small. Don’t break out the Desert Eagle right away - try out a .22 first!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

CZp10
Banned

Post by CZp10 »

Exactly. Just one more thing the NRA should be doing instead of making threatening videos that alienate people. We need a positive gun message and we need to educate people how they can be used to save lives. I don't know how much time people here have spent with average people who are against guns, but if you think that gun owners and the NRA have anything other than a bad reputation, you are mistaken.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Yes, starting with a .22 is a good way to go to introduce new shooters to shooting.

Another tip for teaching new shooters is to load only 1 round into the firearm, since
you don't know how the new shooter will react to even a small caliber's discharge.

As you introduce them to larger calibers, the 1 round policy is still a good idea.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:Yes, starting with a .22 is a good way to go to introduce new shooters to shooting.

Another tip for teaching new shooters is to load only 1 round into the firearm, since
you don't know how the new shooter will react to even a small caliber's discharge.

As you introduce them to larger calibers, the 1 round policy is still a good idea.

SIA
That's exactly what I've done. I was surprised last year when my 9 year old nephew decided he wanted to try the 9mm Beretta M9. After all, he had only shot his first firearm an hour earlier. I had started him off with my S&W 22-A. Not knowing how he might react to the increased recoil, I loaded a single round in the magazine and watched him closely. He did great. This year when I was able to take both him and his sister, he graduated up to using the full size 1911 and M&P shield 45. Again, I loaded a single round to see how he would handle the recoil. Once I was convinced he could handle it and be safe, I gave him more rounds in the magazine.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Call ur federal reps and Senators, no retreat no compromise.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I have talked to one person today who is a casual plinker about joining NRA and TSRA, despite my frustration at the moment, they do many great things for 2A.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”