Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts: 5679
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Postby philip964 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... 9c675f3539

I've been banned from the Reddit gun politics subreddit, so sorry you get to read my rants.

When I looked at this article, I didn't realize I was reading from the gun politics subreddit as it is an anti gun subreddit. It started out like "hey we are really going to look into it, not be biased, give you the facts". After a few paragraphs I noticed the bent towards anti gun and by the end I was laughing.

In their article there is a big elephant in the room. They don't talk about it and neither will I. But it is a really big elephant and no one ever talks about it, if they do, they are immediately labeled something and everyone hates them for the rest of their lives.

That said. They mention Chicago, St Louis and New Orleans. One has tough gun laws and the other two don't, Chicago has a lower murder rate than the other two. Here is the latest list. https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/ ... ate-cities.

What is interesting is that high murder rates correlate in cities with and without strict gun laws. Washington DC and Camden NJ stand out in my mind. If gun laws work, then they would not be on the list. California is on the list, Texas is not.

So it would seem that gun laws have no effect on murder rates. Criminals get guns any way they can and murder people.

So if your NOT a criminal where do you want to live: in a city with a high murder rate where you can't get a license to conceal carry or in a city with a high murder rate, but a city where you can at least shoot back.

If you look at the list. I think its about the people not the weapon. That is where the truth lies. I'll give my analysis four American flags :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
Last edited by philip964 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 7140
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Postby Abraham » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 am

I don't see your post as a rant.

I see it for what it is: Factual and interesting.

I liked it.

Thanks!


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts: 5679
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Postby philip964 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 am

Abraham wrote:I don't see your post as a rant.

I see it for what it is: Factual and interesting.

I liked it.

Thanks!


One would think pointing out Mexican gun bans and gun murder rates in Mexico in a Gun Politics reddit forum wouldn't get you banned either.

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 2770
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Postby bblhd672 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:06 am

philip964 wrote:One would think pointing out Mexican gun bans and gun murder rates in Mexico in a Gun Politics reddit forum wouldn't get you banned either.


Well, they sure taught you a lesson about having a viewpoint other than theirs'! :biggrinjester:
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
“What ‘gun law’ would have prevented the Sutherland Springs church massacre? Or the Las Vegas massacre?"


chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts: 3166
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Postby chasfm11 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 am

Speaking of cherry picking data, the Post article ignores Camden and Newark, both in NJ. NJ has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country and a bleak history of prosecuting otherwise innocent people whose only "crime" is the violation of those gun laws. Granted that in several of those prosecutions, the public outcry about them forced a reversal but the charges were filed and without the publicity, the gun-law violators would have faced stiff sentences. And all the while, the murder rates and Camden and Newark were high as was the fact that there is a significant amount of gun violence. Exactly how much is unclear since NJ shields that information from public scrutiny.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/04/new-jersey-gun-laws-dont-curb-violence-in-camden/2113737/
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero

User avatar

OldCurlyWolf
Senior Member
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Postby OldCurlyWolf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:03 am

chasfm11 wrote:Speaking of cherry picking data, the Post article ignores Camden and Newark, both in NJ. NJ has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country and a bleak history of prosecuting otherwise innocent people whose only "crime" is the violation of those gun laws. Granted that in several of those prosecutions, the public outcry about them forced a reversal but the charges were filed and without the publicity, the gun-law violators would have faced stiff sentences. And all the while, the murder rates and Camden and Newark were high as was the fact that there is a significant amount of gun violence. Exactly how much is unclear since NJ shields that information from public scrutiny.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/04/new-jersey-gun-laws-dont-curb-violence-in-camden/2113737/


I agree with most of your post except the use of the misnomer "gun violence". That is a Anti's phrase that is used to mislead ignorant persons.

An inanimate object, such as a firearm, is INCAPABLE of committing violence. That two word phrase should NEVER be used by those of us who support the 2nd Amendment and the right of defense of self and others. Don't give others any slack by misusing words.
:nono:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Postby TreyHouston » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:57 pm

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:Speaking of cherry picking data, the Post article ignores Camden and Newark, both in NJ. NJ has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country and a bleak history of prosecuting otherwise innocent people whose only "crime" is the violation of those gun laws. Granted that in several of those prosecutions, the public outcry about them forced a reversal but the charges were filed and without the publicity, the gun-law violators would have faced stiff sentences. And all the while, the murder rates and Camden and Newark were high as was the fact that there is a significant amount of gun violence. Exactly how much is unclear since NJ shields that information from public scrutiny.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/04/new-jersey-gun-laws-dont-curb-violence-in-camden/2113737/


I agree with most of your post except the use of the misnomer "gun violence". That is a Anti's phrase that is used to mislead ignorant persons.

An inanimate object, such as a firearm, is INCAPABLE of committing violence. That two word phrase should NEVER be used by those of us who support the 2nd Amendment and the right of defense of self and others. Don't give others any slack by misusing words.
:nono:


Since most violence is from "alcohol violence " why dont they ban alcohol or have people submit a background check and wait a week or 2 before picking it up? This should be the New Democratic Campaign!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


Voltron
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Postby Voltron » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:13 pm

look up your osn facts. any liberal rag is aimed at fooling and pacifying the mindless and tries to piss off the mindful as a course of their normal business.


howdy
Senior Member
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:16 pm
Location: Katy

Re: Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Postby howdy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:35 am

Gun Violence
car violence
abortion violence
drug violence
medical violence
hammer violence
knife violence
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Endowment Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979


NotRPB
Senior Member
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 8:24 am

Re: Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Postby NotRPB » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Also the very popular cricket bat & golf club & pointy stick violence


BBYC
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Postby BBYC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:56 pm

The ever popular shod foot violence.
Drain the swamp, and please hurry!


chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts: 3166
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Postby chasfm11 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:32 am

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:Speaking of cherry picking data, the Post article ignores Camden and Newark, both in NJ. NJ has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country and a bleak history of prosecuting otherwise innocent people whose only "crime" is the violation of those gun laws. Granted that in several of those prosecutions, the public outcry about them forced a reversal but the charges were filed and without the publicity, the gun-law violators would have faced stiff sentences. And all the while, the murder rates and Camden and Newark were high as was the fact that there is a significant amount of gun violence. Exactly how much is unclear since NJ shields that information from public scrutiny.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/04/new-jersey-gun-laws-dont-curb-violence-in-camden/2113737/


I agree with most of your post except the use of the misnomer "gun violence". That is a Anti's phrase that is used to mislead ignorant persons.

An inanimate object, such as a firearm, is INCAPABLE of committing violence. That two word phrase should NEVER be used by those of us who support the 2nd Amendment and the right of defense of self and others. Don't give others any slack by misusing words.
:nono:


So is "violence committed with guns" better? Gun crimes? I do understand the point that some groups use this phrase to try to distort the fact that there are human actions responsible, not the inanimate object. But I have to confess to be being more than a little frustrated by a barrage of "you cannot say that word." I rail against politically correct speech. Because someone else has hijacked a word or a phrase for their purposes, does it then become off limits to anyone else? The concept that I was trying to communicate was that NJ grossly distorts laws about guns, wielding them mightily against people who are not otherwise criminals and giving a pass to those who have long rap sheets. If we are in agreement with that concept, let's just agree to agree.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero


Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests