Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Post by philip964 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... 9c675f3539

I've been banned from the Reddit gun politics subreddit, so sorry you get to read my rants.

When I looked at this article, I didn't realize I was reading from the gun politics subreddit as it is an anti gun subreddit. It started out like "hey we are really going to look into it, not be biased, give you the facts". After a few paragraphs I noticed the bent towards anti gun and by the end I was laughing.

In their article there is a big elephant in the room. They don't talk about it and neither will I. But it is a really big elephant and no one ever talks about it, if they do, they are immediately labeled something and everyone hates them for the rest of their lives.

That said. They mention Chicago, St Louis and New Orleans. One has tough gun laws and the other two don't, Chicago has a lower murder rate than the other two. Here is the latest list. https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/ ... ate-cities.

What is interesting is that high murder rates correlate in cities with and without strict gun laws. Washington DC and Camden NJ stand out in my mind. If gun laws work, then they would not be on the list. California is on the list, Texas is not.

So it would seem that gun laws have no effect on murder rates. Criminals get guns any way they can and murder people.

So if your NOT a criminal where do you want to live: in a city with a high murder rate where you can't get a license to conceal carry or in a city with a high murder rate, but a city where you can at least shoot back.

If you look at the list. I think its about the people not the weapon. That is where the truth lies. I'll give my analysis four American flags :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
Last edited by philip964 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Washington Post fact check on gun laws and gun violence

Post by Abraham »

I don't see your post as a rant.

I see it for what it is: Factual and interesting.

I liked it.

Thanks!

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Abraham wrote:I don't see your post as a rant.

I see it for what it is: Factual and interesting.

I liked it.

Thanks!
One would think pointing out Mexican gun bans and gun murder rates in Mexico in a Gun Politics reddit forum wouldn't get you banned either.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

philip964 wrote: One would think pointing out Mexican gun bans and gun murder rates in Mexico in a Gun Politics reddit forum wouldn't get you banned either.
Well, they sure taught you a lesson about having a viewpoint other than theirs'! :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Speaking of cherry picking data, the Post article ignores Camden and Newark, both in NJ. NJ has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country and a bleak history of prosecuting otherwise innocent people whose only "crime" is the violation of those gun laws. Granted that in several of those prosecutions, the public outcry about them forced a reversal but the charges were filed and without the publicity, the gun-law violators would have faced stiff sentences. And all the while, the murder rates and Camden and Newark were high as was the fact that there is a significant amount of gun violence. Exactly how much is unclear since NJ shields that information from public scrutiny.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... n/2113737/
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

chasfm11 wrote:Speaking of cherry picking data, the Post article ignores Camden and Newark, both in NJ. NJ has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country and a bleak history of prosecuting otherwise innocent people whose only "crime" is the violation of those gun laws. Granted that in several of those prosecutions, the public outcry about them forced a reversal but the charges were filed and without the publicity, the gun-law violators would have faced stiff sentences. And all the while, the murder rates and Camden and Newark were high as was the fact that there is a significant amount of gun violence. Exactly how much is unclear since NJ shields that information from public scrutiny.

I agree with most of your post except the use of the misnomer "gun violence". That is a Anti's phrase that is used to mislead ignorant persons.

An inanimate object, such as a firearm, is INCAPABLE of committing violence. That two word phrase should NEVER be used by those of us who support the 2nd Amendment and the right of defense of self and others. Don't give others any slack by misusing words.
:nono:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:Speaking of cherry picking data, the Post article ignores Camden and Newark, both in NJ. NJ has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country and a bleak history of prosecuting otherwise innocent people whose only "crime" is the violation of those gun laws. Granted that in several of those prosecutions, the public outcry about them forced a reversal but the charges were filed and without the publicity, the gun-law violators would have faced stiff sentences. And all the while, the murder rates and Camden and Newark were high as was the fact that there is a significant amount of gun violence. Exactly how much is unclear since NJ shields that information from public scrutiny.

I agree with most of your post except the use of the misnomer "gun violence". That is a Anti's phrase that is used to mislead ignorant persons.

An inanimate object, such as a firearm, is INCAPABLE of committing violence. That two word phrase should NEVER be used by those of us who support the 2nd Amendment and the right of defense of self and others. Don't give others any slack by misusing words.
Since most violence is from "alcohol violence " why dont they ban alcohol or have people submit a background check and wait a week or 2 before picking it up? This should be the New Democratic Campaign!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Voltron

Post by Voltron »

look up your osn facts. any liberal rag is aimed at fooling and pacifying the mindless and tries to piss off the mindful as a course of their normal business.

howdy

Post by howdy »

Gun Violence
car violence
abortion violence
drug violence
medical violence
hammer violence
knife violence
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Also the very popular cricket bat & golf club & pointy stick violence

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

The ever popular shod foot violence.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:

So is "violence committed with guns" better? Gun crimes? I do understand the point that some groups use this phrase to try to distort the fact that there are human actions responsible, not the inanimate object. But I have to confess to be being more than a little frustrated by a barrage of "you cannot say that word." I rail against politically correct speech. Because someone else has hijacked a word or a phrase for their purposes, does it then become off limits to anyone else? The concept that I was trying to communicate was that NJ grossly distorts laws about guns, wielding them mightily against people who are not otherwise criminals and giving a pass to those who have long rap sheets. If we are in agreement with that concept, let's just agree to agree.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”