Retired military commanders urge Congress to address 'gun violence crisis'

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Retired military commanders urge Congress to address 'gun violence crisis'

Post by J.R.@A&M »

OlBill wrote:The system is designed for conformity, not character.
Yes, and they seem like separate issues to me.

That military policy is geared toward conformity may be fine for their purpose and function. But it has little to do with my needs as a private civilian or a state employee. That's why I didn't give a hoot about what former Admiral McRaven had to say about SB 11. His professional experience is mostly irrelevant to what my personal situational needs, risks, might be at work or anywhere else.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

OlBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by OlBill »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
Yes, and they seem like separate issues to me.

That military policy is geared toward conformity may be fine for their purpose and function. But it has little to do with my needs as a private civilian or a state employee. That's why I didn't give a hoot about what former Admiral McRaven had to say about SB 11. His professional experience is mostly irrelevant to what my personal situational needs, risks, might be at work or anywhere else.
Exactly. They get to a certain level and some of them start to think they are a separate class.

They are also risk adverse and sure we are all morons.

It seems more and more to me that wearing a uniform of some kind makes people believe we are cattle.

I wore the same uniform they did. They don't impress me.

E10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by E10 »

These officers don’t speak for the American people or ‘most gun owners’ (certainly not for me!), so it’s interesting that they’re criticizing Congress (the people’s elected representatives, by the way). Without further information, I would also disagree that as a group they’ve had ‘considerable firearms training.’ If so, it was many years ago, before they attained flag rank. Generals and admirals don’t get much range time. Their opinions shouldn’t count for much.
Also, we should understand that to attain flag rank, these officers had to be quite risk-averse, especially in the affairs of their subordinates. Control is paramount - so their affinity for gun control isn’t surprising.
I left the Army after 14 years, at the rank of Major. I was far more impressed by some of my colleagues and seniors who didn’t get stars because they were willing to treat soldiers as adults rather than disorderly children.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

E10 wrote:These officers don’t speak for the American people or ‘most gun owners’ (certainly not for me!), so it’s interesting that they’re criticizing Congress (the people’s elected representatives, by the way). Without further information, I would also disagree that as a group they’ve had ‘considerable firearms training.’ If so, it was many years ago, before they attained flag rank. Generals and admirals don’t get much range time. Their opinions shouldn’t count for much.
Also, we should understand that to attain flag rank, these officers had to be quite risk-averse, especially in the affairs of their subordinates. Control is paramount - so their affinity for gun control isn’t surprising.
I left the Army after 14 years, at the rank of Major. I was far more impressed by some of my colleagues and seniors who didn’t get stars because they were willing to treat soldiers as adults rather than disorderly children.
I left as an O5 and never fired a military firearm of any kind. Had my own guns but the closest I ever got to a military gun was walking by a MP.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”