Safer in Britain?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stever1950
Posts in topic: 1

Safer in Britain?

Post by stever1950 »

All the anti-gunners tout how safe it is in Britain since nobody has guns.....

http://americangunnews.com/gun-crime-co ... e-britain/

Only the bad guys have guns.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

bblhd672

Re: Safer in Britain?

Post by bblhd672 »

Considering that Britain has some of the most restrictive firearms laws in the world, it’s clear that a thriving black market is supplying the criminal element there.
Yet, the people who ban things can never grasp that doing so will create a black market for those things. Even the US after Prohibition didn't catch on that they only thing it accomplished was creating an criminal filled black market that exists to this day.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Britain and the US have distinctly different cultural influences that extend into any arguments regarding personal safety. If you see ownership and responsibility of your personal safety as a continuum with "It's Personal and therefore MY responsibility" on one end and "Professionals (the Government) should take care of this for me" at the other, Americans trend toward the "Its Personal" end and the British tend toward the nanny state end. Note, though, that criminals on both sides of the pond understand that their safety is dependent on what they do and how they do it. In Britain this means that the criminals are more likely to have a monopoly of force (or at least they can project force more beyond arms' reach). Criminals in America have to go to the trouble to look for Gun Free (target rich) zones to be so likely to have the monopoly of force.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

London is the only place I have been hurt in a crime. I was the target of an attempted robbery in the tubes, and my hand got nicked when I stopped it. I did not need stitches, but I was irritated that I can not even carry a decent knife there.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Middle Age Russ wrote:Britain and the US have distinctly different cultural influences that extend into any arguments regarding personal safety.
:iagree: Very much this - I work international oil patch and work with many Brits. Lots of them - not all - will actively seek me out to criticize America and harangue me about my guns. And being from Texas......it sets them off so bad that they get to foaming at the mouth.... :fire

It is unreal the difference between the two cultures. They are truly subjects and bow to the King/Queen whether that be government or a actual King/Queen.

Having said, that - I respect their right to believe the way they do. But I take offense to them always criticizing America...

I usually either end the discussion or get the dance started - when after I have been goaded enough - I tell them thats the reason we kicked their rear twice and by the way we saved it twice....ha ha....fun times usually ensue

I have many good friends who are Brits - but they are strange bunch.

Then there was the time a few years ago I was flying British Airways on the 4 of July. That was fun...

Thank God for America and Texas :patriot: :txflag:
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I find the dichotomy between brit and yank especially droll, given that the conceptual base for our constitution and the 2nd amendment owes a fair amount to the Magna Carta. Somewhere along the way, they lost not only the lessons of the Magna Carta, but of Agincourt and Crecy (where commoners with longbows [the 'assault weapon' of that period] carried the day against the french).
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”