Old Charles Krauthammer quote - disturbing

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Old Charles Krauthammer quote - disturbing

Post by treadlightly »

I had no idea the depth of his statist views. Krauthammer and George Will have both bothered me for years, even though I don't hear or read them very much. They seem like they should be conservative voices, but they are not.

I found this link in a blog linked to by bearingarms.com: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 41c728338/

It's old and I shouldn't pay attention, I guess, but good grief, what treacherous polemic:
Ultimately, a civilized society must disarm its citizenry if it is to have a modicum of domestic tranquillity of the kind enjoyed in sister democracies like Canada and Britain.
There's more, too, and worse in that column in Krauthammer's own words.

Personally, I'll take the largely avoidable risk of dying in a hail of lead over the domestic tranquillity of an inescapable, unavoidable, bulletproof cage. Yes, please, let me take my chances. My constant firearm in my walks is a better solution than Krauthammer's plan to declaw me. A law abiding citizen's pistol tyrannizes no one and endangers none save those who would first offer violence.

The same can be said of the law abiding citizen's modern sporting rifle with its standard capacity magazine, but that's hardly surprising.

rotor

Re: Old Charles Krauthammer quote - disturbing

Post by rotor »

That was written in 1996 and who knows what his current view is but probably not pro-2A. I wonder if he considered Nazi Germany a civilized society when their Jewish citizens were disarmed. I would bet that many of his relatives were killed in Nazi concentration camps (as my relatives were) and yet he would still (in 1996) let the citizens become disarmed. Only of course for civilized society, whatever that is.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Yeah, Krauthammer claims GOP affiliation, but he is definitely of a “moderate” stripe. (“Moderate” means something squishy resembling a large African game animal.) Before becoming a talking head, he was a practicing psychiatrist. He is a quadripalegic, having injured his spine during his first year at Harvard Medical School in a diving accident. He is New York City born and raised, of 1st generation immigrant European parents. He’s east coast all the way. You could probably convince him that “disarming the citizenry” should not mean confiscating $40,000 shotguns from east coast Brahmins who do a spot of upland bird hunting whenever this or that potentate is in town......but he is not a friend of pistol carry or MSRs.

The life and times of CK here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Krauthammer.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Known about him for quite a while. He's always rubbed me the wrong way and I've shaken my head a few times that he was on FOX at all, but then again so is Shepherd Smith. :grumble
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

It would do us all very well indeed to remember that you can count on a few fingers the number of elites in media, business, the government or any other group or sector of society that you can trust absolutely with your freedoms.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

In the classical Estates of the Realm, "those who work" was one of three. The other two Implicitly lived off the backs of those workers. When the Fourth Estate is part of the establishment, they also live off the backs of the workers and have the same motivation to keep the productive class under heel. When "those who work" are armed, they have some ability to limit how much the others can take from them.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”