Texas Military Forces Directive on Personally Owned Firearms

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 6

Texas Military Forces Directive on Personally Owned Firearms

Post by oljames3 »

https://tmd.texas.gov/Data/Sites/1/medi ... rearms.pdf
Major General John F. Nichols, Texas Adjutant General, issued TMD Directive 5210.01 on 01/17/2018, replacing JFTX P15-08.
3. POLICY.
a. Pursuant to Texas Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H, anyone
issued a handgun license recognized and valid in the State of Texas may possess a
handgun on their person or in a properly secured vehicle while on TMD installations or
facilities. This authorization encompasses all buildings and property under the control
of the TMD.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas Military Forces Directive on Personally Owned Firearms

Post by bblhd672 »

oljames3 wrote:https://tmd.texas.gov/Data/Sites/1/medi ... rearms.pdf
Major General John F. Nichols, Texas Adjutant General, issued TMD Directive 5210.01 on 01/17/2018, replacing JFTX P15-08.
3. POLICY.
a. Pursuant to Texas Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H, anyone
issued a handgun license recognized and valid in the State of Texas may possess a
handgun on their person or in a properly secured vehicle while on TMD installations or
facilities. This authorization encompasses all buildings and property under the control
of the TMD.
:thewave
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

So this effects National Guard posts?

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

clarionite wrote:So this effects National Guard posts?
https://tmd.texas.gov/Data/Sites/1/medi ... rearms.pdf
2. APPLICABILITY AND SCOPE. This issuance applies to TMD employees, civilian
visitors, contractors, and service members of all other military service components while
on any TMD installation or facility.
"... any TMD installation or facility." TMD comprises Texas Army National Guard, Texas Air National Guard, and Texas State Guard.

However, some TMD facilities are co-located with federal facilities or on federal property. See paragraph 3. b.
... This directive does not apply or authorize the carry of POFs on federally owned, operated, or
controlled property including Armed Forces Readiness Centers controlled by the U.S.
Army Reserves.
Since 1/1/16, I have carried openly on Camp Mabry in Austin as provied for by JFTX P15-08 Privately Owned Firearms, dated 1 December 2015. This new directive continues the previous policy, which had expired last December. I feel free to carry openly in any Texas Army or Air National Guard armory/facility that is not on federal property or property under federal control.

Direct questions to the:
9. POINT OF CONTACT. J3/4 Anti-Terrorism Force Protection at (512) 782-5172.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It’s nice to see some recognition from the powers that be that the 2nd Amendment isn’t a permission.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

:hurry: :hurry:

Great news!! This means that our men and women, who protect our country, won't have to be unarmed, and helpless, while traveling, to and from military installations in the great State of Texas!!

The very limited scale of restrictions, i.e. Not carrying while carrying military issued weapons.. Etc. is very reasonable, and guarantees, that they can defend themselves, if necessary. I just wish other military installations across the country would follow suit. If they would, it could be the first step to getting national reciprocity, passed. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

tool4daman

Post by tool4daman »

As a former Warrant Officer in the TXARNG I’m happy to see this! Somewhat surprised, but extremely happy.
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

Wow! I seem to remember a State ad slogan, something about "Texas friendly." Sounds like a prime example.

There is a museum I've been wanting to visit at Camp Mabry in Austin, but I haven't been too keen on disarming. No special reason, other than I really don't like messing with my pistol. A good day is when it just stays in my holster and I largely don't give it a second thought.

Bravo to the Texas Military - which has a nice ring to it, anyway!

:tiphat: :txflag:

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

:thewave

I am glad they renewed! As Texas State Guard, its carry as usual but NOT when we drill at a Federal base such as Ellington!!!!

PLEASE NOTE : make very sure if it a state or federal base you are headed to! PLEASE don’t make that mistake!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

To be clear, Texas supporting her military in protect themselves is not new.
https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governo ... ns_on_base

Even Texas supporting her citizens in protecting themselves is not new. Major General Nichols issued JFTX -P15-08 in December of 2015, to clarify the open carrying of handguns in Texas Military Department (TMD) facilities.
https://tmd.texas.gov/Data/Sites/1/medi ... policy.pdf

For TMD personnel, carrying openly is covered by the uniform regulations of the various forces (Army Regulation 670-1).
https://www.army.mil/e2/c/downloads/337951.pdf

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

treadlightly wrote:Wow! I seem to remember a State ad slogan, something about "Texas friendly." Sounds like a prime example.

There is a museum I've been wanting to visit at Camp Mabry in Austin, but I haven't been too keen on disarming. No special reason, other than I really don't like messing with my pistol. A good day is when it just stays in my holster and I largely don't give it a second thought.

Bravo to the Texas Military - which has a nice ring to it, anyway!

:tiphat: :txflag:
I've carried openly in the Texas Military Forces Museum many times. Functions or just visiting. The only place on Camp Mabry that I am sure is prohibited is the Reserve Center. No problem getting onto Camp Mabry. I shop at the PX and exercise regularly on the track, carrying openly. Just show a photo ID at the guarded gate on 35th Street. The gate on 45th is not always open.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

KWTX in Waco ran a story yesterday about several gun thefts from unlocked cars, which, of course, is a real brain burp on the part of a gun owner. No telling whether or not the theft victims were licensed or not.

A Waco PD spokesperson warned against leaving guns in cars. The anchors stated the same thing, but it would have been nice if they had gone on to say if you're licensed, carry it. Don't leave it laying around unattended, locked up or not.

I like that provision of the TMD directive, "The handgun must remain on your person or properly secured."

Yes, sir. Not a problem, sir.

Bozz48

Post by Bozz48 »

Since this directive expired in January, does anyone know if it has been extended. I need to go to Mabry to renew an ID card.

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The Texas Military Department web site lists TMDD 5210.01 Privately Owned Firearms as "Current." I would not hesitate to carry openly on Camp Mabry. In fact, I carried openly in February when I took my son to the ID Card section to get a new ID Card. You do you. https://tmd.texas.gov/Data/Sites/1/medi ... rearms.pdf

If you have concerns, call: POINT OF CONTACT. J3/4 Anti-Terrorism Force Protection at (512) 782-5172.
Last edited by oljames3 on Tue May 05, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”