Flashback 30 Years: Guns Were in Schools ... and Nothing Happened

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Flashback 30 Years: Guns Were in Schools ... and Nothing Happened

Post by bblhd672 »

https://pjmedia.com/jchristianadams/fla ... -happened/
The millennial generation might be surprised to learn that theirs is the first without guns in school. Just 30 years ago, high school kids rode the bus with rifles and shot their guns at high school rifle ranges.

After another school shooting, it's time to ask: what changed?

Cross guns off the list of things that changed in thirty years. In 1985, semi-automatic rifles existed, and a semi-automatic rifle was used in Florida. Guns didn’t suddenly decide to visit mayhem on schools. Guns can’t decide.
Read the whole thing. Understand that the left is coming for all guns. If it takes destruction of society to do so, they are willing.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Flashback 30 Years: Guns Were in Schools ... and Nothing Happened

Post by Maxwell »

Yep. I remember rifles and shotguns in the back window of student pickups in the high school parking lot. Many boys also had a decent sized lockback "pocket" knife. And no one was bothered by any of it.
:txflag:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I well remember having a 12 ga and a .22 hanging in the gun rack of my pickup parked in the high school parking lot. And I was the norm. All the boys carried pocket knives and we all had guns in our trucks. No one ever got shot, no one ever got stabbed. There was the occasional fist fight, but bringing weapons into an argument was something that never crossed our minds.

We used to get licks from teachers and principles if we were even disrespectful in class. Heck, I've even seen a school bus driver stop the bus and take a kid off the bus and give him a paddling on the side of the road. And then we would get worse at home when the school called our fathers. Then parents sued schools to stop corporal punishment. We used to get our ears boxed at the table for not saying sir or ma'am to our parents. Then parents said that a child should be able to express themselves.

I'm reminded of a song by Merle Haggard titled Okie From Muskogee. I doubt those lyrics would resound with the kids of today, but it was very popular with my high school friends.

The whiners of society have succeeded in taking God out of schools. The entertainment industry has pushed the boundaries of decency into extinction. Kids are blasted with foul language both in entertainment and sometimes at home. Look at the lyrics of the songs nominated for Grammy awards this year. I dare you to read the words and not be repulsed.

Yes, our young children wouldn't recognize the America I grew up in. My grandchildren sometimes ask me questions about some event from 30 or 40 years ago and say, "Pawpaw, did that really happen?"

Paul Harvey's words titled, "If I were the devil" were pretty spot on, and chilling if you go back and read them.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Lynyrd wrote:I well remember having a 12 ga and a .22 hanging in the gun rack of my pickup parked in the high school parking lot. And I was the norm. All the boys carried pocket knives and we all had guns in our trucks. No one ever got shot, no one ever got stabbed. There was the occasional fist fight, but bringing weapons into an argument was something that never crossed our minds.

We used to get licks from teachers and principles if we were even disrespectful in class. Heck, I've even seen a school bus driver stop the bus and take a kid off the bus and give him a paddling on the side of the road. And then we would get worse at home when the school called our fathers. Then parents sued schools to stop corporal punishment. We used to get our ears boxed at the table for not saying sir or ma'am to our parents. Then parents said that a child should be able to express themselves.

I'm reminded of a song by Merle Haggard titled Okie From Muskogee. I doubt those lyrics would resound with the kids of today, but it was very popular with my high school friends.

The whiners of society have succeeded in taking God out of schools. The entertainment industry has pushed the boundaries of decency into extinction. Kids are blasted with foul language both in entertainment and sometimes at home. Look at the lyrics of the songs nominated for Grammy awards this year. I dare you to read the words and not be repulsed.

Yes, our young children wouldn't recognize the America I grew up in. My grandchildren sometimes ask me questions about some event from 30 or 40 years ago and say, "Pawpaw, did that really happen?"

Paul Harvey's words titled, "If I were the devil" were pretty spot on, and chilling if you go back and read them.
Another article, backing what you say above:

https://pjmedia.com/andrewklavan/left-r ... ture-made/
It was after a school shooting near Spokane last September that Spokane Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich addressed a clutch of reporters:

When I was in high school, every one of those rigs in the high school parking lot had a gun in the gun rack. Why? We went hunting on the way home. None of those guns ever walked into a school, none of those guns ever shot anybody... Did the gun change or did you as a society change? I'll give you odds it was you as a society. Because you started glorifying cultures of violence. You glorified the gang culture, you glorified games that actually gave you points for raping and killing people. The gun didn't change, we changed.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

Had a 410 shotgun in the window of my truck and plus I never locked my truck. As the article states guns are the same it is the evil in the hearts of man that has changed.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Oh, yeah, I wouldn't have been caught dead without my official Boy Scout Barlow pocket knife. "The America Norman Rockwell painted." We've lost something very, very special in this country, and we're not getting it back.
-Ruark

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

carlson1 wrote:Had a 410 shotgun in the window of my truck and plus I never locked my truck. As the article states guns are the same it is the evil in the hearts of man that has changed.
Ban guns, and evil will find another weapon to take the lives of innocents. And the innocents will have no way to protect themselves against the evil.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

bblhd672 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Had a 410 shotgun in the window of my truck and plus I never locked my truck. As the article states guns are the same it is the evil in the hearts of man that has changed.
Ban guns, and evil will find another weapon to take the lives of innocents. And the innocents will have no way to protect themselves against the evil.
:iagree:

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

We often brought guns and ammo in the principals office so we could hunt squirrels, rabbit, quail, and pheasant on the way home. I'm talking about 13, 14, and 15 years old.
N5PNZ

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Back in the summer of 1983, I took a required speech class at A&M. We had to make one presentation a week. A fella did one about how to disassemble and clean a shotgun, for which he used his own shotgun as a demo. Right there in a Blocker Building classroom.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I was in high school in the late 90’s. Smaller town, most people had a knife in their pocket and gun in their car or truck. Some smoked during lunch and dipped during class. It was quite obvious who had a can of dip in their back pocket and had a worn white circle in the jeans... and no, we never had any problems or nor even think something would!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The first thing I added to my "new" (three year old 1974 Chevy 3/4 ton) was a gun rack I ordered from a catalog. I carried a shotgun, and 22 rifle everywhere I went, including the high school parking lot. The truck was unlocked, and most times keys still in it, so my buddies could use it if they needed to. I carried a Schrade knife in a leather sheath on my belt. Not one time did I, or any of my friends, ever considered, using the guns, or knives, to harm another person.
As stated, the guns haven't changed, but the attitudes have. If I had done anything irresponsible, with any of those things, including my truck, I would have quickly, and unceremoniously, lost the privilege of possessing it, even though I had paid for it with my own money. All of my friends understood this, and would have faced the same circumstances.
Today, parents, have completely given up their jobs, of raising their kids, and are then shocked, when those kids commit atrocities.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Jusme wrote: Today, parents, have completely given up their jobs, of raising their kids, and are then shocked, when those kids commit atrocities.
Yep, subjugated their responsibilities to the state "village" and technology. Blame everything but themselves for their kids' behavior.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I grad. high-school in 83, they weren't allowed to dip during class, but one of my boyfriend's dipped between classes. Many smoked behind the buildings. Most of the guys had guns in their trucks, some, so they could go hunting wild hogs after school, others just because they could.
Same through college, just not as many.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

We had 'em in the dorms at Tenn Tech, 60-62, and later in the married student apartment at Univ. TN, 65-67. We hunted and we shot but nobody ever shot nobody else. :roll: What we didn't have was cable TV, computers, social media, smart phones, etc., etc.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”