So the President is a Gun Free Zone?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 4

So the President is a Gun Free Zone?

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Yeah, I guess I knew that (or would assume that). Anyone know right off-hand the specific federal law that gives all the details (occasions, conditions, distances, persons [President, Vice-President, Speaker, Cabinet member(s)], etc.)?

Just idle curiosity.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02 ... vered.html

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Re: So the President is a Gun Free Zone?

Post by TreyHouston »

Yes. Just YES, and this is just something you will have to live with, sorry.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

TreyHouston wrote:Yes. Just YES, and this is just something you will have to live with, sorry.
From the story it appears that he was released without charge. So it’s only a gun free zone in the sense that Secret Service will keep you out of a certain zone that they establish, but having the weapon is not in itself a crime.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
thatguyoverthere

TreyHouston wrote:Yes. Just YES, and this is just something you will have to live with, sorry.
Whoa, chill there, Trey. It's all good. :thumbs2:
thatguyoverthere wrote: Just idle curiosity.

Topic author
thatguyoverthere

Here's another example I found:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/27/politics ... index.html
The US Secret Service said Thursday attendees at President Donald Trump's speech Friday at the [2017] National Rifle Association's annual meetings in Atlanta will have to leave their firearms outside.

Federal law provides the Secret Service the authority to prevent guns from entering sites visited by protectees...
Again, anyone know the specific law? I googled some phrases, but guess I didn't stumble on the right word combination.

Just thought we (I) might learn something. :tiphat: If not, no big deal, because I was just curious. :patriot:

Edited to get the right link in. :oops:

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

thatguyoverthere wrote:Again, anyone know the specific law?
18 USC 1752 appears to be what you want. Bolding is mine.

18 U.S. Code § 1752 - Restricted building or grounds
(a) Whoever—
(1) knowingly enters or remains in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority to do so;
(2) knowingly, and with intent to impede or disrupt the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions, engages in disorderly or disruptive conduct in, or within such proximity to, any restricted building or grounds when, or so that, such conduct, in fact, impedes or disrupts the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions;
(3) knowingly, and with the intent to impede or disrupt the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions, obstructs or impedes ingress or egress to or from any restricted building or grounds; or
(4) knowingly engages in any act of physical violence against any person or property in any restricted building or grounds;
or attempts or conspires to do so, shall be punished as provided in subsection (b).
(b) The punishment for a violation of subsection (a) is—
(1) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, if—
(A) the person, during and in relation to the offense, uses or carries a deadly or dangerous weapon or firearm; or
(B) the offense results in significant bodily injury as defined by section 2118(e)(3); and
(2) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than one year, or both, in any other case.
(c) In this section—
(1) the term “restricted buildings or grounds” means any posted, cordoned off, or otherwise restricted area—
(A) of the White House or its grounds, or the Vice President’s official residence or its grounds;
(B) of a building or grounds where the President or other person protected by the Secret Service is or will be temporarily visiting; or
(C) of a building or grounds so restricted in conjunction with an event designated as a special event of national significance; and
(2) the term “other person protected by the Secret Service” means any person whom the United States Secret Service is authorized to protect under section 3056 of this title or by Presidential memorandum, when such person has not declined such protection.

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RicoTX »

Just curious...not really related to the story....
What if you are eating in a BBQ place, or maybe enjoying a day in the park, carrying as usual, and the secret service show up to do a security sweep due to an unscheduled stop, and say you have to leave or disarm.

Are you okay with that?
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

RicoTX wrote:Just curious...not really related to the story....
What if you are eating in a BBQ place, or maybe enjoying a day in the park, carrying as usual, and the secret service show up to do a security sweep due to an unscheduled stop, and say you have to leave or disarm.

Are you okay with that?
I know what I'd do, how would you handle such an event?

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Are you okay with that?
If the protectee was President Trump, I'd disarm and stay to meet him. If the protectee was President Clinton, Pelosi, Schumer, Lee-Jackson, etc I would leave.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
thatguyoverthere

CleverNickname wrote:
thatguyoverthere wrote:Again, anyone know the specific law?
18 USC 1752 appears to be what you want.
Yep, looks like that's what I was looking for. Thanks, Clever. I had done some searching, but apparently didn't put the right words together.

So, rights, privledges... eh, whatever. :evil2:
What if you are eating in a BBQ place, or maybe enjoying a day in the park, carrying as usual, and the secret service show up to do a security sweep due to an unscheduled stop, and say you have to leave or disarm...

Rico brings up an interesting thought. I know President Obama did that a few times while campaigning for his second term and for other Dems - just dropped in on local hangouts to eat a sammich or drink a beer and mix with the "folks." I wonder how that actually works? Does the Secret Service just walk into the BBQ joint first and say: "Anybody with a weapon, get out." ? Do they physicallly search the people who want to stay? Again, just curious.

Hey, it's been raining the last couple of days and I can't work outside - I gotta have SOMEthing to occupy my time! :lol:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Are you okay with that?
If I don't own the property, then I would oblige the secret service by leaving. If the President is planning to walk through my neighborhood and the secret service wants me to surrender my firearms while he is nearby, then I would say no.

It would be interesting if this was a sit down restaurant as opposed to a BBQ joint, and you had not yet received your full meal when the secret service made you leave. I'm assuming they cover the restaurant owner's costs for food in that situation.

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RicoTX »

Here is what I would do...regardless of who the President was at the time...if I was already eating, be it bbq or lobster, I would insist that I was going to finish my meal before I left. I would then see what the owner had to say. If they said to leave... I would ask for a to go box, a refund of my meal if I had already paid, and I would make sure everyone in the town knew what happened. I dont think the SS is keen on just jerking a guy up from a table and throwing him out. If they are, then I no longer recognize either the SS or that President as representing my government.

As for the other scenario brought up, I agree...if I was in my yard, tough. If they dont like it, they are going to have to forcibly remove me, which I would consider assault.

Here is my opinion...if a President or any politician is truly pro 2a, then prove it or you are a liar...that simple. If it's good enough for you and me, it's good enough for them.

Oh yeah...still waiting on a law change so I can carry in the post office... :totap:
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”