Bump stop ban signed today

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

Post by Oldgringo »

I wondered what a bump stock is and how it works so:
https://www.facebook.com/JerryRigEveryt ... 063651188/
After watching this, I don't see myself needing or wanting one. If this video is real, these things should fall under the same restrictions as do full automatics, IMO.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

All this talk about bump stocks being banned reminded me of this thread discussing bump stocks. http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... ump+stocks

They were offered up to appease the anti-gun nuts that wanted something done and to get out ahead of the issue. Even though this last shooting didn't involve a bump stock, as far as I know, I am still hearing about banning them in addition to banning semi-autos, raising the age to purchase certain guns, more common sense gun control etc. Now people are wondering what the pro-gun and 2nd Amendment folks are going to get in return for throwing the bump stocks on the table.

The answer isn't giving up more rights. It is putting a full court press on to address real and meaningful changes that will preserve our rights and protect the children and citizens. I hope all will support Charles in his effort to get some meaningful legislation passed in Texas that will actually help protect people.

Again, I have zero interest in bump stocks. I am concerned about the tactics and "strategy" of offering to give up rights just because some emotional thinkers think something, just anything has to be done.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

Oldgringo wrote:I wondered what a bump stock is and how it works so:
https://www.facebook.com/JerryRigEveryt ... 063651188/
After watching this, I don't see myself needing or wanting one. If this video is real, these things should fall under the same restrictions as do full automatics, IMO.
I can't see whatever it is you posted here (maybe later at home), but all a bump stock does is make it easier to pull the trigger faster. You can do the same thing with your finger alone. The gun still only fires once for each pull of the trigger.

I think it would be difficult if not impossible to write a law or regulation banning bump stocks that could not be easily twisted to affect all sorts of things.

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

Did you hear the pure enjoyment and happiness in him after he fired the rifle with the bump stock? Sounds like a ban on these would take away from "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness." Could you imagine how many happy Americans there would be if full auto was completely legal and affordable?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Wow. You have no idea what the 2nd amendment is about do you? The NFA act is a massive violation of the intent of the 2nd if you read the words of the framers when they discuss it.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rm9792 wrote:

Wow. You have no idea what the 2nd amendment is about do you? The NFA act is a massive violation of the intent of the 2nd if you read the words of the framers when they discuss it.
:iagree:

Those who say they are "staunch supporters" of the 2nd Amendment, and then say that military style weapons should not be owned by citizens have zero understanding of the reason for the 2nd Amendment in the first place. It is not there to protect our right to hunt, to have fun, to collect, or even to defend ourselves from criminals. A simple read of the founding documents should make this very clear. Our founders believed that we have the right to overthrow any government that becomes destructive of our God given rights. They then explicitly guaranteed that this new government they were forming would not interfere with our right to free speech, to organize, to be free from unreasonable searches, to have due process, and to keep and bear arms. Anyone who reads these documents and honestly concludes that the founders did not want us to own weaponry that was on par with that available to our government controlled military forces is, at best, deluding themselves.

This does not mean that I think anyone should overthrow our government. That would be a tragedy and I sincerely wish that never happens. I also know that the fact that a citizenry possesses the means to put up a meaningful resistance against government military forces makes such a result less likely, not more.

If we, as a people, believe that we have moved past the point where we need to be wary of government overreach, then we can, and should, change the Constitution. Maybe we no longer need guarantees against unreasonable government searches. Maybe we no longer need to be concerned that the government will use the FBI to investigate political opponents. Personally, I think we need all of these guarantees now more than ever before, but my point is that there is a process for We the People to make changes to how we are governed. And if we believe we need to make changes, we should follow the process that is outlined in the Constitution so we never have to follow the process that is outlined in the Declaration of Independence.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

rm9792 wrote:

Wow, you're right! I'm not as smart as you. I didn't realize the framers discussed automatic weapons when they wrote the Constitution that was finally ratified in 1789. BTW, that was then, this is now.
Last edited by Oldgringo on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rm9792 wrote:

{snip}
Those who say they are "staunch supporters" of the 2nd Amendment, and then say that military style weapons should not be owned by citizens have zero understanding of the reason for the 2nd Amendment in the first place.
{snip}
Surely to goodness, you're not stating that citizens should have bazookas, rocket launchers, howitzers, machine guns, flame throwers and other military style weapons? Say it ain't so.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Oldgringo wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rm9792 wrote:

{snip}
Those who say they are "staunch supporters" of the 2nd Amendment, and then say that military style weapons should not be owned by citizens have zero understanding of the reason for the 2nd Amendment in the first place.
{snip}
Surely to goodness, you're not stating that citizens should have bazookas, rocket launchers, howitzers, machine guns, flame throwers and other military style weapons? Say it ain't so.
I'll say it's so. I believe I should have the right to own a fully equipped and armed M1 Abrams tank if I want it. Now, I don't have an issue having a background check done, but if I want an F-16 with full armament, and if I have a clean background and no (recorded) history of mental illness (and about $25 million spare change lying around) I should be able to get one.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

Keith B wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rm9792 wrote:

{snip}
{snip}
I'll say it's so. I believe I should have the right to own a fully equipped and armed M1 Abrams tank if I want it. Now, I don't have an issue having a background check done, but if I want an F-16 with full armament, and if I have a clean background and no (recorded) history of mental illness (and about $25 million spare change lying around) I should be able to get one.
Oldgringo must not be a Texan. If so, he has forgotten what the Come and Take It Flag was all about (hint: it wasn’t a rifle or musket)

Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

Oldgringo wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rm9792 wrote:

{snip}
{snip}
Citizens already own and use flame throwers. They are not considered a firearm by the ATF. Only cost between 3-900 dollars

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I am a lot less worried about banning bump stocks than I am about the probability that this latest school shooting has probably put both the Hearing Protection Act and any other favorable suppressor legislation onto the endangered species list.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/repub ... le/2636379
House Republican leaders Tuesday distanced themselves from legislation that would lift taxes and regulations on gun suppressors and expand access to hunting and sports shooting, two days after the largest mass shooting in U.S. history happened in Las Vegas.

The measure cleared a House committee last month and was on deck for possible consideration, but Republicans have not scheduled a vote on the so-called suppressor legislation. The future of the legislation is now uncertain.

———SNIP———

"I think it is safe to say in our Republican conference, you are not going to see those bills moving forward," Rep. Chris Collins, R-N.Y., told reporters.
Other than providing giggles and grins, bump stocks are a distraction. They don’t really move the ball forward in terms of gun rights, acting instead as a sort of workaround to existing NFA regs; and gov’t hates nothing more than an attempt to get around its authority .... which is just ONE reason why we need less gov’t......

But suppressors are a different matter. Their use is just plain good manners, and they are a hearing health issue for the shooting community. They improve the target, hunting, and self-protection environments, and they can improve your tactical position if you’re in a tactical scenario. Plus, we already have to jump through a bunch of hoops to legally obtain them. The HPA would have made them easier to buy, and vastly reduced the purchase price over the long haul .... not to mention doing away with the $200 tax.

Frankly, I just can’t get that worked up if bump stocks get banned......not my ox being gored, and I’ve always thought they were an unwise poking of the bear. That said, I would hope that that people who currently own them would be grandfathered in somehow so that they don’t lose their investment if a ban passes. It would be better to have the NFA entirely repealed, but that’s never going to happen, and there is simply no profit in poking the bear. But here we had a realistic chance on the table of getting Congress to ease up on suppressors, and now that opportunity has nearly vanished.

And THAT really chaps my hide. :grumble
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Keith B wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rm9792 wrote:

{snip}
{snip}
I'm not disagreeing with you (mostly); however to paraphrase Bob Dylan, "The Times They Are A-Changin'' and not necessarily for the better. :patriot:

Although not born in Texas, I do know the what, when and where of "The Come and Take it Flag". :txflag:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Bump stocks are the result of grown adults finding a work around and loophole in order to circumvent the intent of a law. It doesn't surprise me when such loopholes get closed.

There is always some that want to push the limits and exploit loopholes. It usually ends up costing everyone. Bump stocks are a prime example. Now the government elite are talking about going well beyond bump stocks.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TreyHouston »

mojo84 wrote:Bump stocks are the result of grown adults finding a work around and loophole in order to circumvent the intent of a law. It doesn't surprise me when such loopholes get closed.

There is always some that want to push the limits and exploit loopholes. It usually ends up costing everyone. Bump stocks are a prime example. Now the government elite are talking about going well beyond bump stocks.
Obama’s ATF have reviewed them and said they were fine....
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”