21 or older to buy AR-15?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 21 or older to buy AR-15?

Post by NotRPB »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1G42SR
“I think that’s certainly something that’s on the table for us to discuss and that we expect to come up over the next couple of weeks,” White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said at a daily briefing when asked if President Donald Trump believed there should be an age limit for the purchase of AR-15-type rifles.
I'll be really surprised if the issue of high(?) capacity magazines doesn't come up again real soon. I, for one, won't have a problem with it.
30 round magazines are normal capacity.
:iagree:
As a person born with only one hand, my observation is that forcing "reduced low capacity" magazines on "people like me" is discriminatory, forcing embarrassing and for some "disabled" people, potentially unsafe maneuvers to reload at the range. May need to invoke an Americans With Disabilities Act exception here ...
C7-BitoU8AAkPyJ.jpg
Attachments
20.jpg
20.jpg (9.2 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
CV1HW8uXAAQuSWl.jpg

dlh

Post by dlh »

So President Trump wants to take away some gun rights...hmmmm....Why isn't he more aggressively pushing national conceal carry to promote gun rights--you know, like he campaigned he would? HELLO!

Hillary of course wanted to ban the AR 15 rifle completely and make it PERMANENT--at least President Trump does not want to do that.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

mrvmax wrote:
WTR wrote:My wife is Conservative and very pro 2A. She has been shooting since age 7, has her own pistol, supports all my firearm related activities and purchases. However, she has also has taught Neuro Anatomy, Neuro Physiology and Neuro Pharmacology at a graduate class level. She says the brain at 18 is not fully developed and has issues with decision making and impulse control to name a couple (especially males). She would like to see the minimum age to purchase a firearm be 25. Although, she would compromise to 21. I think the insurance companies have figured it out as rates greatly decrease at 25.
I have read and heard similar info before. To be fair, if we did that then the minimum age for entry to the military would need to be raised too along with the age to purchase cigarettes and alcohol. We would also need to raise the age for getting a drivers license and to vote to 21. It needs to be done across the board or not done at all, it’s not logical to pick and choose, if they aren’t fully developed for one thing then they aren’t for anything.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WTR wrote:
mrvmax wrote:
WTR wrote:My wife is Conservative and very pro 2A. She has been shooting since age 7, has her own pistol, supports all my firearm related activities and purchases. However, she has also has taught Neuro Anatomy, Neuro Physiology and Neuro Pharmacology at a graduate class level. She says the brain at 18 is not fully developed and has issues with decision making and impulse control to name a couple (especially males). She would like to see the minimum age to purchase a firearm be 25. Although, she would compromise to 21. I think the insurance companies have figured it out as rates greatly decrease at 25.
I have read and heard similar info before. To be fair, if we did that then the minimum age for entry to the military would need to be raised too along with the age to purchase cigarettes and alcohol. We would also need to raise the age for getting a drivers license and to vote to 21. It needs to be done across the board or not done at all, it’s not logical to pick and choose, if they aren’t fully developed for one thing then they aren’t for anything.
Exactly, and here CNN is kicking around whether or not we ought to extend the vote to 16 year olds. The vote is an awesome responsibility, and we’ve already seen, time and time again, how that responsibility gets handled by people OVER 21 who vote without any clue at all of the greater ramifications of their vote. But CNN thinks that giving that awesome responsibility to 16 year olds is a good idea? If so, then let us lower the age to purchase an AR15 to 16 years old too.

WTR, with all due respect to your wife (I am sure that she is right about the brain’s development), I would be genuinely interested to know what is her answer to people OVER 21 who abuse their 2nd Amendment rights?
  1. Syed Rizwan Farook was 28 and his wife Tashfeen was 29 when they shot up the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, killing 14 others and wounding 22.....with two AR15s and a Springfield 9mm XD pistol.
  2. Stephen Paddock was 64 the night he shot up Las Vegas with a gozillion ARs.
  3. Omar Mateen was 29 the night he shot up the nightclub in Orlando with a sort of AR derivative.
  4. Cho Seung-hui was 23 when he shot up the VA Tech campus....admittedly with semiauto pistols with 10-round magazines.
  5. Devin Patrick Kelley was 26 when he shot up the Sutherland Springs church with an AR15.
  6. James Holmes was 25 when he shot up the Aurora movie theater with an AR15, a shotgun, and a Glock pistol.
  7. George Banks was 40 when he shot 13 people to death in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania with a Colt AR15.
  8. Michael McClendon was 28 when he shot and killed 10 people in Geneva County, Alabama, with an AR15, an SKS, and a handgun.
  9. James Edward "Pop" Pough was 42 when he shot and killed 9 people and wounded 4 at his place of employment, with an M1 carbine (a previous generation’s iteration of a light AR type weapon).
  10. Chris Harper-Mercer was 26 when he shot up Umpqua Community College with multiple weapons.....which curiously, he had brought along an AR15 which he did not use.
All of these names represent nearly half of the names taken from this Wikipedia list of 23 mass shootings, involving 25 shooters: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_sh ... ted_States. None of these people were deterred from doing what they did by the fact of being well over the age of 21. Most were over 25. The remain 14 shooters, not listed above in my post here, were 20, 35, 41, 25, 19, 45 (Patrick Sherrel/Edmund Post Office shooting, originated the term “going postal”), 17 & 18 (Columbine), 41, 28, 39, 34, 44, and 16 years old at the time they committed their mass shooting sprees. 23 shootings, involving 25 shooters. That’s 18 - more than half of the 25 shooters - being 25 or older.

The 18 year old brain might not be fully mature, but it looks like the 25 year old and older brain is actually more likely to pull off a mass shooting. Consequently, I have to conclude that ANY age limit is purely arbitrary.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

philbo
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philbo »

Does it help help or hurt the argument when one of the largest firearms sellers in the Houston area publicly advertises that you must be 21 to purchase an AR rifle or shotgun with a pistol grip? This is not only a question of a private sellers right to do business with whomever he chooses, but how this practice looks on the community as whole when 2nd Amend supporters otherwise seem to be encouraging the exact stand now being made by anti-gunners.
http://www.carterscountry.net/ads.htm

philbo
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philbo »

And now this:

“We’re going to work on getting the age up to 21 instead of 18,” Trump said at the White House today:
https://apnews.com/b1548e45aabf47d98e59 ... re-weapons

denwego

Post by denwego »

philbo wrote:Does it help help or hurt the argument when one of the largest firearms sellers in the Houston area publicly advertises that you must be 21 to purchase an AR rifle or shotgun with a pistol grip? This is not only a question of a private sellers right to do business with whomever he chooses, but how this practice looks on the community as whole when 2nd Amend supporters otherwise seem to be encouraging the exact stand now being made by anti-gunners.
http://www.carterscountry.net/ads.htm
One of the reasons why I don't set foot in those stores anymore. 30.07 signs were another. The $6k+ I've spent locally on gun stuff since then, well, I wish I were doing so well I could turn away sales like that every day.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Oldgringo »

philbo wrote:And now this:

“We’re going to work on getting the age up to 21 instead of 18,” Trump said at the White House today:
https://apnews.com/b1548e45aabf47d98e59 ... re-weapons
While he's at it, he might also see about raising the voting age back to 21 and mandatory military service for all 3 or 4 sexes. Why stop part way, Mr. President?

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

If we're serious about the age issue, why not make voting age a sliding scale matched to congressional/presidential age requirements. After all, if you are not old enough to hold the office... ;)

18 - Local elections
21 - State
25 - House/General Federal,
30 - Senate
35 - President

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

Iunnrais wrote:If we're serious about the age issue, why not make voting age a sliding scale matched to congressional/presidential age requirements. After all, if you are not old enough to hold the office... ;)

18 - Local elections
21 - State
25 - House/General Federal,
30 - Senate
35 - President
That would multiply the number of ballots by a factor of 5 for each election. Election judges would then be responsible for identifying the age of the individual in order to determine which ballot to assign them. Can't say I'm a fan of separate ballots based on age.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

I say make the age of majority 20 for everything. Draft, voting, alcohol, gun buying.

They're either adults or they're not.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

OlBill wrote:I say make the age of majority 20 for everything. Draft, voting, alcohol, gun buying.

They're either adults or they're not.
Or better yet leave the decision to the states for everything not specified by the Constitution as a Federal power. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Covered I'm sure but a ban on "standard capacity" magazines will do nothing. Everyone should be against this. Everyone. It is an infringement on the 2A. One may not personally own a firearm that uses "standard capacity" magazines or plan to ever own one but to not care about a ban on them is a disservice to everyone. We must all oppose any and every infringement whether it directly affects us or not.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”