Bad News from the Scotus--Again

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Bad News from the Scotus--Again

Post by dlh »

Supreme Court declined to hear the California case imposing a ten day waiting period on the purchase of firearms.

Loved the Thomas dissent.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.asp ... &type=Site
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bad News from the Scotus--Again

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Important to note, this doesn't confirm or strike down the law, simply leaves it in place. The issue can be brought back up again from another case.

I believe most justices are waiting for someone to retire to hope they can get a better shot at their preferred ruling on 2A topics. Right now 5-4 rulings abound relating to 2A, and I bet theres some conservative justices betting that there will be retirement soon and maybe they can get 6-3 rulings, and at the same time liberal justices hoping the same thing to make it flip 5-4 the other way.

But yes, not good news.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

As long as Roberts is there it could be 5-4 or 4-5. Roberts doesn't even know the difference between a tax and an unconstitutional law.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

He makes me think more and more of the bumbling comedy of "Mr. Roberts" than of a SC justice.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

tool4daman

Post by tool4daman »

I’m not saying I like the 10 day waiting period, but… I have an easier (not easy) time digesting that than I do the fact that we have to be issued a permit/license to carry/possess a firearm.

Not trying to hijack this thread and get it on the Constitutional carry conversation. Just saying I can see where moderates could see a waiting period as not infringing on Second Amendment rights since after the ten-day waiting period a person could legally purchase the firearm.
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

tool4daman wrote:I’m not saying I like the 10 day waiting period, but… I have an easier (not easy) time digesting that than I do the fact that we have to be issued a permit/license to carry/possess a firearm.

Not trying to hijack this thread and get it on the Constitutional carry conversation. Just saying I can see where moderates could see a waiting period as not infringing on Second Amendment rights since after the ten-day waiting period a person could legally purchase the firearm.
But in California, you have the waiting period, AND you have difficulty getting a permit to carry. Los Angeles County has 197 issued permits - mostly to the well connected - for 10.2 million residents. http://www.breitbart.com/california/201 ... residents/. I have actually lived under LA County’s 10 day waiting period. It sucks. You can have it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

And this particular 10 day waiting period also applied to those that had already undergone background checks and were already registered gun owners and already own other firearms.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Walking down the waiting period path - some think that moderates would be ok extending from 3 days to 10 days on a delay, or even instituting a waiting period for every purchase. Would they also be ok waiving it for individuals with a license to carry from their home state?

I’m not saying I support or don’t support this, just discussing.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Our 10 day waiting period has been beneficial and helped and it's a good start but we need to do more. Common sense says we need to extend it to a 30 day waiting period to allow enough time to properly check and vet buyers and for tempers to cool for buyers. We know you'll be fine with this since the 10 day wait was approved.

Just imagining what the left is going to go after next.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

NOT

ONE

MORE

INCH!!!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

yodajim

Post by yodajim »

Pawpaw wrote:NOT

ONE

MORE

INCH!!!

Copy That

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

AndyC wrote:Anyone notice that the FL killer waited 7 days to collect the AR he'd bought? Doubt 10 days would have changed his mind.
As you know, they're worthless in 99.99999% of situations anyway.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”