Can it be?: We may lose more gun rights under Trump than Obama?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Can it be?: We may lose more gun rights under Trump than Obama?

Post by Syntyr »

Trump may just be playing chess with the Rats but this kind of talk makes me really uneasy!!!

“Take the guns first, go through due process second,” Trump said.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RicoTX »

Syntyr wrote:Trump may just be playing chess with the Rats but this kind of talk makes me really uneasy!!!

Yeah I caught that too in reference to mental health.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Topic author
Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Doug.38PR »

RicoTX wrote:Did I just hear Trump correctly? He wants to remove the conceal carry reciprocity from the background bill and make it on its own? He says the bill won't pass with it in.

Rep. Rutherford...require buyers to have a permit to buy a gun from anyone...even private sales.

Trump...that's a good idea...then be tough on the black market. Trump...be very strong on background checks.

Trump wants the age at 21 for any gun.

We need to make sure our Reps here from us!

On a good note: Trump did say do away with gun free zones.

I don't get a good feeling from this...
The more he talks, the worse it gets. And the NRA is giving him a free pass. He is betraying gun owners here. They should be up in arms over this. Trump stood before the NRA during the campaign swearing to not only protect but promote the 2nd Amendment

stroo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stroo »

BTW, you can go through NRA-ILA to contact your Congressman about this. In addition, I went to the White House site today and sent a message to the President. Hopefully those contacts make some difference.

Plus I signed my son up to the NRA today.

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 5

Post by imkopaka »

RicoTX wrote:
Syntyr wrote:Trump may just be playing chess with the Rats but this kind of talk makes me really uneasy!!!

This stuff right here is why I was so against voting for Trump. I still did it because the alternative was the Hildabeest, but I suspected from the start that his allegiance was too easily swayed. He flipped between Democrat, Republican, and Independent so many times over the past few decades that I asserted we couldn't trust him to remain conservative once he was in office. The proof is in the orange pudding. :mad5
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

strogg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by strogg »

imkopaka wrote:
RicoTX wrote:

This stuff right here is why I was so against voting for Trump. I still did it because the alternative was the Hildabeest, but I suspected from the start that his allegiance was too easily swayed. He flipped between Democrat, Republican, and Independent so many times over the past few decades that I asserted we couldn't trust him to remain conservative once he was in office. The proof is in the orange pudding. :mad5
He's a populist. Plain and simple. I don't agree with much of anything he spewed out today. On exception is: no gun reform will pass if national reciprocity is still in the bill. Removing schools from the GFZ will also unlikely pass if it's in the bill. At least that's something we can cling to. If those make it into the gun reform thing, it will be huge leverage against the bad provisions, such as fix-NICS (which is a whole lotta nothing), 21-year age limit (ehhh... that will be problematic), and the bumpstock thing (that can be devastating if the Dems get to word it). I can't imagine what will become of any sort of bill at this point. Time to play political chess.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

strogg wrote:
imkopaka wrote:
RicoTX wrote:

He's a populist. Plain and simple. I don't agree with much of anything he spewed out today. On exception is: no gun reform will pass if national reciprocity is still in the bill. Removing schools from the GFZ will also unlikely pass if it's in the bill. At least that's something we can cling to. If those make it into the gun reform thing, it will be huge leverage against the bad provisions, such as fix-NICS (which is a whole lotta nothing), 21-year age limit (ehhh... that will be problematic), and the bumpstock thing (that can be devastating if the Dems get to word it). I can't imagine what will become of any sort of bill at this point. Time to play political chess.

Is this simply a play because he knows nothing will pass anyways? Is this a truck to keep eyes off DACA?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Doug.38PR wrote:
The more he talks, the worse it gets. And the NRA is giving him a free pass. He is betraying gun owners here. They should be up in arms over this. Trump stood before the NRA during the campaign swearing to not only protect but promote the 2nd Amendment
I remember... "my first day in office, those gun-free zones will disappear."
-Ruark

Topic author
Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Doug.38PR »

TreyHouston wrote:
strogg wrote:
imkopaka wrote:
RicoTX wrote:

Is this simply a play because he knows nothing will pass anyways? Is this a truck to keep eyes off DACA?
Actually he’s counting on doing this via executive action without Congress

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ess-second

Trump: 'Take the guns first, go through due process second'

This is by far the biggest problem statement from today
That act should have the same or similar process as a warrant to take away your 4th amendment.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Compromise: an agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.

"Our side" possibly concedes: legal age to purchase a rifle; bump stocks (and maybe other mechanisms to increase rate of fire); national reciprocity; elimination of GFZ's; due process for some folks.

"Their side" possibly concedes: ________, _________, _________, _________

I surely don't claim to understand political back-room deal making, but something seems to be missing in this equation.

Believe me, I feel as badly for the victims and their family and friends as anyone. But I think we here mostly agree that even if we gave up all the things listed above, those concessions would do little or nothing to prevent the next mass murder. So what are "we" prepared to give up the next time this happens? These and similar measures will not stop the shootings, so when will we have given up enough?

strogg

Post by strogg »

:iagree:

You make an excellent point. We've been watching Trump getting the two sides together this past year to pass bipartisan legislation. It may not have been as successful as it should be for true bipartisanship, but it sure has been much better than any other President in recent history. He's now turned his focus on 2A. Hopefully, that's all this talk is, and we won't end up on the short end of the stick at the end.

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

And then there’s this.
President Trump Asks Dianne Feinstein to Add ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban to School Safety Bill

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... fety-bill/

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ess-second

Trump: 'Take the guns first, go through due process second'

This is by far the biggest problem statement from today
That act should have the same or similar process as a warrant to take away your 4th amendment.
:iagree: with fear and trembling.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”