Fayetteville ISD, TX School Guardian Program

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Cheapsk8
Posts in topic: 1

Fayetteville ISD, TX School Guardian Program

Post by Cheapsk8 »

Similar to the proposal being put forward by Mr Cotton.

https://www.fayettevilleisd.net/apps/pa ... ID=1380364

The Guardians will be staff members who have passed each of the following requirements (and more):
1. Hand selected staff members.
2. Must have their License to Carry permit (LTC).
3. Must pass a psychological exam just like local law enforcement.
4. Must qualify annually with the specific handgun they will carry.
5. Must be on the random drug testing list and pass all tests.
7. Must be trained in tactics for denying an intruder entry into a classroom or facility.
8. Must be approved by the school board.
In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Fayetteville ISD, TX School Guardian Program

Post by Oldgringo »

This sounds like a "Common Sense" approach to the problem of school security. I might add that all entrance doors should be locked between starting and stopping hours with a single secured entrance closely monitored between these hours.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Oldgringo wrote:This sounds like a "Common Sense" approach to the problem of school security. I might add that all entrance doors should be locked between starting and stopping hours with a single secured entrance closely monitored between these hours.
This is what scares me as a retired Volunteer Firefighter. Do we want to lose the ability to evacuate our kids quickly? Attacks my these homicidal maniacs is made even worse by limiting egress. The attackers at Las Vegas and Colorado Springs movie theaters both took advantage of trapped targets unable to get away as well as the Orlando nightclub.

17 kids got killed. and its very unfortunate, but we need to be careful about overreaction. It might put people in even more danger, and make more of us victims maybe even killed. There are things we can do and we can learn from mistakes. But we really need to take our time and understand any unintended consequences. Security theater, and gun free zones played a large part in getting these kids killed. Getting the kids out of killing zone might have been the only thing that went right.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Liberty wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:This sounds like a "Common Sense" approach to the problem of school security. I might add that all entrance doors should be locked between starting and stopping hours with a single secured entrance closely monitored between these hours.
This is what scares me as a retired Volunteer Firefighter. Do we want to lose the ability to evacuate our kids quickly? Attacks my these homicidal maniacs is made even worse by limiting egress. The attackers at Las Vegas and Colorado Springs movie theaters both took advantage of trapped targets unable to get away as well as the Orlando nightclub.

17 kids got killed. and its very unfortunate, but we need to be careful about overreaction. It might put people in even more danger, and make more of us victims maybe even killed. There are things we can do and we can learn from mistakes. But we really need to take our time and understand any unintended consequences. Security theater, and gun free zones played a large part in getting these kids killed. Getting the kids out of killing zone might have been the only thing that went right.
The doors have panic hardware that can be opened from the inside while still being locked from the outside. The problem could be teachers/kids propping them open.

allisji

Post by allisji »

Oldgringo wrote:
Liberty wrote:

The doors have panic hardware that can be opened from the inside while still being locked from the outside. The problem could be teachers/kids propping them open.
I like the idea of securing all entrances. Certainly there would have to be means for first responders (law enforcement, fire, and ems) to gain access to any entrance when needed. But the general public should be restricted from accessing the schools without checking in at a secured entrance.

I picture a system where anybody can leave through any exit, but students and visitors can only enter through security entrances. Faculty, staff, and first responders would be able to enter through any entrance.

Do I think that this should be a federal law? No. But I think that all schools should have some policies aimed at maintaining secure facilities. For example, I know lots of schools where a teacher has an external door or window in the back of the classroom, and if the teacher wants to open the door or window to allow fresh air in on a nice day, then they should close and lock it when they leave the room.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Over 170 School Districts have chosen to arm staff. Kudos to them and I hope Charles is successful in getting legislation passed in 2019 similar to the Church Security Bill.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ELB

Post by ELB »

puma guy wrote:Over 170 School Districts have chosen to arm staff. Kudos to them and I hope Charles is successful in getting legislation passed in 2019 similar to the Church Security Bill.
Do you have a source for the "170"? Better, a list of school districts?

I was researching this a couple years ago, and at that time found news articles about 35 or so districts, and an article that said there were 78 districts that had "adopted the guardian program." I would love to think there's been 100 districts added.

Here's the list I compiled then:
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 14#p810414

Ok, that was more than a couple years ago, it was...5. Yikes time flies
USAF 1982-2005

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

ELB wrote:
puma guy wrote:Over 170 School Districts have chosen to arm staff. Kudos to them and I hope Charles is successful in getting legislation passed in 2019 similar to the Church Security Bill.

I was researching this a couple years ago, and at that time found news articles about 35 or so districts, and an article that said there were 78 districts that had "adopted the guardian program." I would love to think there's been 100 districts added.

Here are some links. The first two are articles with general information on current numbers and the last one is dated when Texas had 110 armed districts and has other states included. Per the articles Texas has around 1000 districts so 170+ armed means 17% are protecting their students and campuses. I hope Charles is successful in getting legislation passed in 2019 similar to the church bill. I haven't run across an actual list or data base.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/over- ... fCKwABO8K/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ools-dont/

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavl ... d-n2454454

:tiphat: Hope this helps.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ELB

Post by ELB »

puma guy wrote: ...
:tiphat: Hope this helps.
It does, thanks!
USAF 1982-2005

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

ELB wrote:

I'd like to build off this list.

You can add:
Whitharrel
Whiteface
New Deal
Anton
Smyer
Forsan
Coahoma
Seminole
Lubbock Christian School

Morton - I heard they were (or were going to) but there was a change in leadership so I don't know the current status.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”