KS: KU campus crime down 13 percent; no weapons violations reported in first six months of campus carry

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

KS: KU campus crime down 13 percent; no weapons violations reported in first six months of campus carry

Post by ELB »

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2018/mar/0 ... -no-weapo/
Overall, crime decreased 13 percent, with 671 criminal offenses reported to KU police in 2017 compared to 770 incidents in 2016, according to a news release from the KU Office of Public Safety.

Notably, with lawful concealed carry of handguns being allowed on campus for the first time beginning July 1, 2017, KU police tallied zero criminal weapons violations in 2017, according to crime statistics provided by police.

Prior to 2017, campus police have recorded a total of 14 weapons violations since 2008, according to the statistics.
BAN GUNS ON CAMPUS! THEY'RE DANGEROUS! Especially for criminals.

and:
Three sworn police officers and three security officers were planned to be added in direct response to the start of campus carry, the Journal-World previously reported. The officers were envisioned to increase patrols in busy areas of campus, and the security officers were needed to staff portable metal detectors.

KU Police Chief Chris Keary said in the news release that he believes extra officers have been helpful.
If the Police Chief really thought he needed six new guys to police those with licenses to carry, shame on him. More likely he saw way to use the administration's paranoia to bump up his manpower.
USAF 1982-2005

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Re: KS: KU campus crime down 13 percent; no weapons violations reported in first six months of campus carry

Post by allisji »

ELB wrote:http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2018/mar/0 ... -no-weapo/

If the Police Chief really thought he needed six new guys to police those with licenses to carry, shame on him. More likely he saw way to use the administration's paranoia to bump up his manpower.
Definitely this...

However, I will add that Kansas has constitutional carry now... so, not necessarily policing those with LTCs, though those with licenses still probably are a majority of the people who will utilize campus carry in Kansas.

This being my alma mater, I am glad to see that campus carry is going off without a hitch, though I am embarrassed by the mass hysteria surrounding implementation of the new law.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”