Carters Country!!! Dang it!

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carters Country!!! Dang it!

Post by SQLGeek »

Looks like my personal boycott continues.
Psalm 91:2

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott B. »

The Annoyed Man wrote:OK..... I’m not trying to argue here.....I’m genuinely trying to learn something..... Previously, you said “Well, a pistol grip firearm is not a rifle or shotgun”. You didn’t say “a receiver is not a rifle [or shotgun]. I think I get why a receiver is not a rifle. It’s also not a pistol. Building it into a firearm is what makes it into that type of a firearm - which is how we end up with AR15 pistols, and AR15 rifles; two different kinds of firearms based on the same kind of receiver. But when you said “a pistol grip firearm is not a rifle or shotgun,” that is inconsistent with what I believe to be true about an AR15 long gun having a shoulder stock and a 16” or longer barrel - which indeed has both has a pistol grip, and is governed by the regulations concerning carbines/rifles. So can you see how that leaves me confused?

If you can clear this up for me, I’d appreciate it.

Okay, I see the disconnect, I wrote "...a pistol grip firearm is not a rifle or shotgun*, and therefore can't be sold to somebody under 21. Same applies for a stripped receivers [sic]..."

As already mentioned, "Pistol Grip Firearm" is a technical category, meaning it has only a pistol grip, not a pistol grip/stock combo. So, like a receiver it is neither a 'rifle' nor a 'shotgun'. Only an issue when trying to sell to an individual 18 - 21 yrs of age...until the govt and some boot licking companies screw that up.

The Mossberg Shockwave and the Remington Tac-14s are recorded as "Firearms" and not "Pistol Grip Firearms" or "Shotguns" to further confuse things.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I'm of the opinion, if a store doesn't want to sell a gun to someone under 21, then so be it. If they do not want to bake a cake for a gay couple, so be it. If they don't want to sell black scary guns, so be it.

I have never bought a gun at Carter's or Dick's and do not plan to lose any sleep over it. There are other places to shop these company's aren't conducive to your age or align with your beliefs.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Nice to know smaller gun stores are getting a business boost. Like this gem that just opened in Lubbock:

Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Scott B. wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:OK..... I’m not trying to argue here.....I’m genuinely trying to learn something..... Previously, you said “Well, a pistol grip firearm is not a rifle or shotgun”. You didn’t say “a receiver is not a rifle [or shotgun]. I think I get why a receiver is not a rifle. It’s also not a pistol. Building it into a firearm is what makes it into that type of a firearm - which is how we end up with AR15 pistols, and AR15 rifles; two different kinds of firearms based on the same kind of receiver. But when you said “a pistol grip firearm is not a rifle or shotgun,” that is inconsistent with what I believe to be true about an AR15 long gun having a shoulder stock and a 16” or longer barrel - which indeed has both has a pistol grip, and is governed by the regulations concerning carbines/rifles. So can you see how that leaves me confused?

If you can clear this up for me, I’d appreciate it.

Okay, I see the disconnect, I wrote "...a pistol grip firearm is not a rifle or shotgun*, and therefore can't be sold to somebody under 21. Same applies for a stripped receivers [sic]..."

As already mentioned, "Pistol Grip Firearm" is a technical category, meaning it has only a pistol grip, not a pistol grip/stock combo. So, like a receiver it is neither a 'rifle' nor a 'shotgun'. Only an issue when trying to sell to an individual 18 - 21 yrs of age...until the govt and some boot licking companies screw that up.

The Mossberg Shockwave and the Remington Tac-14s are recorded as "Firearms" and not "Pistol Grip Firearms" or "Shotguns" to further confuse things.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought I was losing my mind! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I had no idea of the history regarding Carter's. I will keep that in mind.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Gosh,

What a name from the past.. I started shopping at Carter's Country in the late 70's. I don't think I've been there in over 30 years..(Of course I moved to Dallas 25 years ago). Back then it was just a long 2 lane road way out in the country to get there with hardly anything around it. I wonder what it's like now... Is the large Grizzly still in the corner when you walk in?

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

So who purloined the name from whom?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075489/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Years ago I bought a 12 gauge Browning Over and Under Citori with a schnable for end with a 24 "inch barrel with the Invector Choke System. No small dollars for such a gun...

It was to be a dove and quail gun.

The sales person acted bored and bothered with my purchase.

It was at that point - I thought I'll be going elsewhere for further gun purchases. And no, I didn't take hours to make up my mind. I said, please show me that o/u and bought it, there and then. Took, hhmmm 5 minutes to make up mind.

And no, I didn't expect balloons and exhortations of elation from the sales staff for my purchase, but boredom and vague annoyance, well adios forever...

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”