More "Compromise"

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 3

More "Compromise"

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Republicans’ Omnibus Bill: More Background Check Gun Laws, No Concealed Carry Reciprocity
"Fix NICS" included in Republican omnibus bill; reciprocity is not included. No big surprise, I suppose. At least now it's officially out there.

I think I'll invent a new term for this kind of situation: "unilateral compromise."

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ciprocity/

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/politics ... index.html

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: More "Compromise"

Post by Abraham »

Given the morass of different states/different carry law specifics, I never thought the reciprocity idea one that'd work unless it was completely standardized throughout 'all' the states.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

"States Rights", where have I heard that expression?

circumspice_tuebor

Post by circumspice_tuebor »

thatguyoverthere wrote:
I think I'll invent a new term for this kind of situation: "unilateral compromise.”
No need for new terms. Appeasement is appropriate. :banghead:
Micah 6:8

strogg

Post by strogg »

Ugh... I saw this coming from a mile away, but it is still extremely disappointing and angering to hear the news.

apostate
Posts in topic: 2

Post by apostate »

Oldgringo wrote:"States Rights", where have I heard that expression?

Probably not in a SCOTUS decision ruling the NFA unconstitutional.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

circumspice_tuebor wrote:
thatguyoverthere wrote:
I think I'll invent a new term for this kind of situation: "unilateral compromise.”
No need for new terms. Appeasement is appropriate. :banghead:
I was leaning towards" Cowardice".
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

We need to start hammering our Senators. I'm sure Cornyn is on board with this bill, but we need to ensure Cruz doesn't support it.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

With that, plug the apparent death of HPA/SHARE Acts, I'd say we're done with pro-2A legislation for this cycle at the federal level.

Maybe I'm wrong...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

1. Omnibus bills need to be outlawed.

2. I never thought National Reciprocity would pass, so I guess I'm not surprised.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by thatguyoverthere »

SewTexas wrote:2. I never thought National Reciprocity would pass, so I guess I'm not surprised.
I thought it might at least have a chance. Especially when it was tied to "Fix NICS." With that, at least there was some spirit of compromise - we give you that, you give us this. But now, with Fix NICS about to pass on its own, it's not even up for debate. I don't think Federal reciprocity has a chance any time in the foreseeable future.
TexasJohnBoy wrote:... I'd say we're done with pro-2A legislation for this cycle at the federal level.
I'm wondering if we're not done with pro-2A legislation at the federal level, period.

Just depends on what the kids decide for us, I suppose.
“The adults know that we’re cleaning up their mess,” says Cameron Kasky, an 11th-grader at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, who started the #NeverAgain movement to curb gun violence three weeks earlier in his living room. “It’s like they’re saying, ‘I’m sorry I made this mess,’” adds buzzcut senior Emma González...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-s ... spartandhp

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

thatguyoverthere wrote:
SewTexas wrote:2. I never thought National Reciprocity would pass, so I guess I'm not surprised.
I thought it might at least have a chance. Especially when it was tied to "Fix NICS." With that, at least there was some spirit of compromise - we give you that, you give us this. But now, with Fix NICS about to pass on its own, it's not even up for debate. I don't think Federal reciprocity has a chance any time in the foreseeable future.
TexasJohnBoy wrote:... I'd say we're done with pro-2A legislation for this cycle at the federal level.
I'm wondering if we're not done with pro-2A legislation at the federal level, period.

Just depends on what the kids decide for us, I suppose.
“The adults know that we’re cleaning up their mess,” says Cameron Kasky, an 11th-grader at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, who started the #NeverAgain movement to curb gun violence three weeks earlier in his living room. “It’s like they’re saying, ‘I’m sorry I made this mess,’” adds buzzcut senior Emma González...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-s ... spartandhp
Children in Florida have no legal standing to tell adults what our rights should be. If they want to talk about gun rights, they need to wait until they are age 21, right?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Look on the bright side. We got 100 miles of wall.

/Sarcasm\ for those that have their sarcasm squelch set top high. :roll:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Reset Button

Post by Reset Button »

Somebody keeps re-electing them.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Felt obliged to send this note to Conaway. Sending individualized versions to all of the others too.

I understand that there is a group of people calling themselves "March for Our Lives" who are planning to gather at your office in Llano on March 24th and march to the courthouse. I support their right to assemble and their right to speak. As a matter of fact, I support all their rights as guaranteed by the constitution and I would like them to respect mine.
My wife, our two children ages 18 and 22, and I are all responsible firearm owners and users, and we do not believe that the people in this group will be made any safer by making us less free. My wife and I have each worked in Texas education systems for over twenty years and believe that school safety is the responsibility of each district and their local law enforcement agencies. We support the arming of school employees including faculty. We support the Hearing Protection Act and the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, and we appreciate you supporting them as well.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”