Does Texas Have What It Takes To Do This?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
EastTexasRancher
Posts in topic: 2

Does Texas Have What It Takes To Do This?

Post by EastTexasRancher »

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Does Texas Have What It Takes To Do This?

Post by SewTexas »

...they were working on something like this last session, I think? I think it was in the pile that got sidelined by Stickland and his gang's antics.
(Honestly, I do understand most of where they are coming from, but some good bills fell apart because of them)
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Will be hard to get past the full legislature, much less the Governor. Missouri tried to pass a similar bill a few years ago. The Governor vetoed it and the legislature failed to override his veto.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

That would be great. Maybe someone here knows.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Maybe. If we get a decent Speaker of the House to replace Strauss.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

anygunanywhere wrote:Maybe. If we get a decent Speaker of the House to replace Strauss.
And idiots doing idiotic things don’t cause us to expend political capital overcoming their idiocy.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I use adblocker and can't read the article. What was the subject?

Chas.

PBR

Post by PBR »

PHOENIX — A Prescott lawmaker is proposing changes in state law designed to protect the right of Arizonans to keep their firearms no matter what a future Congress decides.

But the attorney who crafted it for Republican state Rep. David Stringer said that still won’t let Arizonans keep their “bump stocks” if the federal government declares them illegal.

HB 2057 seeks to do just that.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Laws like this are very good for pleasing the constituency, but have very little bearing on real life. It might be able to provide some assistance, but a well known fact is that federal law overrides state laws, including those in state constitutions. If the feds pass a law banning AR-15s, no state law or constitution will overrule it.

I do like the idea and think it might be some help in a court case, but I would not place much faith in it. My only hope would be that enough states do it that the feds reconsider passing any laws.

I would suggest that the law copy federal law, sort of, and split the militia definition into a formal and informal militia. It would define the formal state militia as the state guard and national guard with their current membership rules. Then we could have an informal militia that is all willing adults in the state, who have weapons and ammo. While I am not sure I like the idea, I could see how it would help in a court case if the informal militia were required to register their membership with the state and maybe have a one day per year muster where they should show up. I am sure a good lawyer could work this out better than I can and come up with a regulation that would strengthen a court argument that the person is in the informal militia and that it is a well-regulated militia that works int he traditional sense of being citizens who show up when needed.
Steve Rothstein

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Of the 7,943 things/places on my Bucket List, 'bump stocks' for my two (2) AR-15's, comes in at about 8,327. Sorry, am I missing something in my dotage?

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Oldgringo wrote:Of the 7,943 things/places on my Bucket List, 'bump stocks' for my two (2) AR-15's, comes in at about 8,327. Sorry, am I missing something in my dotage?
I think the intent of this concept is about much more than bump stocks. The hope (and the original article) is that it covers other weapons such as AR-15 style rifles, standard capacity magazines, and ammunition limits.

If they define the weapons for the militia correctly, they can name anything and include statements about any weapon issued to any military in the world. ARs and AKs then become much harder to ban.
Steve Rothstein

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

srothstein wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Of the 7,943 things/places on my Bucket List, 'bump stocks' for my two (2) AR-15's, comes in at about 8,327. Sorry, am I missing something in my dotage?
I think the intent of this concept is about much more than bump stocks. The hope (and the original article) is that it covers other weapons such as AR-15 style rifles, standard capacity magazines, and ammunition limits.

If they define the weapons for the militia correctly, they can name anything and include statements about any weapon issued to any military in the world. ARs and AKs then become much harder to ban.
I'm afraid you are correct. Bump stocks are just the beginning. I have four 30 round magazines and am yet to load any of them. As for the so-called 'bump stock', I don't see the point in wasting ammo at an accelerated rate.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Oldgringo wrote:
srothstein wrote:

I'm afraid you are correct. Bump stocks are just the beginning. I have four 30 round magazines and am yet to load any of them. As for the so-called 'bump stock', I don't see the point in wasting ammo at an accelerated rate.
I believe the majority of forum members agree with you on that (including me). However, there is a very serious principle involved.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

srothstein wrote:Laws like this are very good for pleasing the constituency, but have very little bearing on real life.
:iagree: They're "feel good" laws calculated to get votes without accomplishing anything worthwhile.

Look at the effect of the "fines for signs" law in Texas, which seems more like "signs are fine" in real life.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Since federal law generally supersedes state law (especially with respect to firearms), I'd rather see our legislature spend the limited time and finite political capital to get something more worthwhile passed - like putting real teeth into fines for signs and LTC-everywhere.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”