Ten arguments against gun control and the facts that proves they are wrong

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Ten arguments against gun control and the facts that proves they are wrong

Post by philip964 »

strogg

Re: Ten arguments against gun control and the facts that proves they are wrong

Post by strogg »

My personal responses toward the author:

1: Nice chart. But what happens when guns are taken away? You're assuming by using that chart as fact that the number of homicides will go down because a lot of those bars will disappear. Where are you getting that info? Huh? All speculation.
2: I disagree. Many left-wing politicians are talking about banning all guns all the time. And I do say that many gun control proposals and laws are going against the second amendment. Look up the work of Professor Joyce Lee Malcolm.
3: So you're saying, the fewer guns there are, the fewer GUN DEATHS there will be. Well, duh. The same can be said about any object. So the first chart is pretty lousy. Also, you need to look at overall violent crime rates internationally, not just gun crimes internationally. At least you put in the second chart with the homicide rates by state. Um... that argument where you say there's a correlation between homicide rates and gun control laws by state is awful. Let's try my favorite one. Look at the same FBI data by community population (which is perfectly correlated with population density). You'll see that homicide rates per capita are higher in denser, more populated areas. General crime is, in fact, higher there too. There also happens to be more left-leaning people per capita in those same densely populated areas than there are right leaning. You can see that with election data from 2016 and 2012. Let that marinate in your brain for a while.
4: OK, I'll give you that one. I was never a fan of the automobile analogy. It is absolutely horrible.
5: You literally just agreed with us on that argument, then calling it something that is very difficult to solve. Well, why don't we SOLVE IT then like we've all been trying to say for who-knows-how-many years.
6: Baseball bats don't work. Knives do, though, with proper training. I'll give you that. But that's where your argument ends. As for the stockpiling argument, ever heard of hobbyists? No one needs to collect anything for the sheer joy of it, but we do anyway. Why stop us? We're not doing anything wrong.
7: Um... There is already a lot of gun regulation already. A ton. And a lot of them are not currently enforced. Why not just improving the enforcement first?
8: So... you're assuming "good guy" means a regular citizen Joe like you or me. Well, it also includes peace officers. Last I checked, they're good guys too. Yes, I'm arguing over semantics, but the truth is, unless you argue against what we are really saying, then your argument holds no water.
9: I'll be honest, I've never heard of that anti-gun control argument before. If that really is something people say as an all-encompassing argument, then I agree with you: it's a pretty lousy argument. It has nothing to do with gun control.
10: Don't just look at the US. Look all over the world. Look at what always happens first when tyrannous governments take over the people: guns get taken away. If you think just because our government is stable enough that it won't ever happen, you are quite naive. I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying that there's always a possibility.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

What happens to those number when you throwout suicides?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

strogg wrote:My personal responses toward the author:

6: Baseball bats don't work. Knives do, though, with proper training. I'll give you that. But that's where your argument ends. As for the stockpiling argument, ever heard of hobbyists? No one needs to collect anything for the sheer joy of it, but we do anyway. Why stop us? We're not doing anything wrong.
Knives, sprays and baseball bats aren't rifles nor handguns, but they have their place.
Baseball bats do work and can be effective, they don't jam nor require one to be as close as they would be with a knife.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

To be perfectly honest, I don’t read stuff like this anymore. It’s not that I don’t care any more, it’s that I care too much and it just drives my blood pressure up.

I hate it, but I do believe there will come a day - most probably in my life time - when gov’t IS going to try and confiscate our guns. On that day, I will no longer be a law abiding person, and it will be a sharp contest to see whose blood pressure bottoms out first - mine, or theirs who came for the guns. I’ll do my best to make sure it’s theirs, but I’m not in charge, The Man Upstairs is. If it doesn’t go well for me, it will still go well for me....if you get my drift.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

The public use of an automobile, like the public use of a gun, is tightly regulated. The use of either on private land is barely regulated, but relatively few people use cars in that way so we don't think about it.

The other arguments are all tired.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”