If the 2nd Amendment is repealed poll

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Percent of Americans who will take up arms to defend their right to keep firearms if 2A is repealed?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:55 pm

<1%
16%
1%
7%
2%
4%
3%
9%
4%
No votes
5%
7%
>5%
55%

Total votes: 67

cirus
Posts in topic: 3

Re: If the 2nd Amendment is repealed poll

Post by cirus »

Oh no not THAT! Anything but THAT! :lol:

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

Don’t worry. As long as you have an Armani suit and Gucci shoes on you will be fine.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

anygunanywhere wrote:Don’t worry. As long as you have an Armani suit and Gucci shoes on you will be fine.
"rlol"

Good one! And don’t forget, the GOP will save us.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

J.R.@A&M wrote:Well, if they come for my revolver collection, that would be a worst case scenario. Still, I reject the premise of the post. I wouldn’t turn them in, nor would I declare war. I would probably just wait and see.
Matthew 10:16
Persecution Will Come
“Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.
cirus wrote:I intend to live out the rest of life a free man. You take that anyway you want.
I’m taking it that we agree.
Beiruty wrote:This poll is not helpful.
Probably not.
Soccerdad1995 wrote:Roughly 1/3 of American households own guns. I am guessing that at least one out of 5 of those would defend their right to keep and bear arms, believing that it does not derive from any government.

So if the 2nd Amendment is repealed, and the government tries to seize privately owned weapons, then I believe the percentage would be somewhere north of 5%. In other words, 6 times the number of people in the U.S. military at the moment. The end result would not be pretty.
I would like to think that too. I would add that there are millions of living veterans who have never been relieved of their oath to the Constitution. But I would also add that many of them vote democrat and have a different view of the Constitution than we do. Historically, I believe that 3% is the number of colonists who actively took up arms against the king in our Revolutionary War ....... and people in that day had a far less encumbered view of the right to keep and bear arms than is understood by modern Americans. They didn’t need anyone to explain it to them. If they wanted a cannon and could afford to buy one, they went and bought one. How many Americans today think that a citizen ought to have the right to own a functioning howitzer if he can afford to buy it? I’m guessing that would be a pretty small percentage of even 2nd Amendment supporters.

To my mind, guessing what percentage of people would rise up in defense of the 2A is useless speculation. What is more interesting to me is the question of whether or not anyone would rise up at all, and if so, what that would look like. I don’t have a lot of faith in the appreciation of most Americans for just how special and precious are the nation’s founding principles, as codified in the Constitution. MOST won’t find them worth defending, because they ALREADY don’t find them worth defending. Those who are willing to die for it are a small lot.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

As are most polls.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

The Annoyed Man

Commander Cody wrote:
As are most polls.
Wait..... are you saying most polls ARE helpful? :mrgreen:

#TINVOWOOT

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I figure 1 in 100 is maybe optimistic when it gets right down to it. It's probably 1 in 10 when it's forum talk but I doubt it will hold that level if it gets to it.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

What's the percentage of folks that are willing to join the NRA, TSRA, and call the reps and senator on call to action? I suspect the percentage will be much lower for folks to actually put their lives and families on the line.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

montgomery
Posts in topic: 4

Post by montgomery »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:Well, if they come for my revolver collection, that would be a worst case scenario. Still, I reject the premise of the post. I wouldn’t turn them in, nor would I declare war. I would probably just wait and see.
Matthew 10:16
Persecution Will Come
“Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.
cirus wrote:I intend to live out the rest of life a free man. You take that anyway you want.
I’m taking it that we agree.
Probably not.
Soccerdad1995 wrote:Roughly 1/3 of American households own guns. I am guessing that at least one out of 5 of those would defend their right to keep and bear arms, believing that it does not derive from any government.

So if the 2nd Amendment is repealed, and the government tries to seize privately owned weapons, then I believe the percentage would be somewhere north of 5%. In other words, 6 times the number of people in the U.S. military at the moment. The end result would not be pretty.
I would like to think that too. I would add that there are millions of living veterans who have never been relieved of their oath to the Constitution. But I would also add that many of them vote democrat and have a different view of the Constitution than we do. Historically, I believe that 3% is the number of colonists who actively took up arms against the king in our Revolutionary War ....... and people in that day had a far less encumbered view of the right to keep and bear arms than is understood by modern Americans. They didn’t need anyone to explain it to them. If they wanted a cannon and could afford to buy one, they went and bought one. How many Americans today think that a citizen ought to have the right to own a functioning howitzer if he can afford to buy it? I’m guessing that would be a pretty small percentage of even 2nd Amendment supporters.

To my mind, guessing what percentage of people would rise up in defense of the 2A is useless speculation. What is more interesting to me is the question of whether or not anyone would rise up at all, and if so, what that would look like. I don’t have a lot of faith in the appreciation of most Americans for just how special and precious are the nation’s founding principles, as codified in the Constitution. MOST won’t find them worth defending, because they ALREADY don’t find them worth defending. Those who are willing to die for it are a small lot.
Well written and thoughtful, as always.

I am part of that small lot. The ones who are not are the ones that pose as 2A supporters by posting foolish polls and the ones who are willing to give the first inch of many miles to the enemy because the topic - bump stocks for example - is not a hill worth dying for. We are not fighting for a novelty item, we are fighting for the ideology of freedom and liberty as the Founding Fathers envisioned.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

LDB415 wrote:I figure 1 in 100 is maybe optimistic when it gets right down to it. It's probably 1 in 10 when it's forum talk but I doubt it will hold that level if it gets to it.
After listening to all the stand and fight cold dead hands ever since Sandy Hook, I have looked over 1,000 men - aged 25 to 50 - in the eye and asked "are you willing to fight and die for your gun rights?"

To a man, every single one said they had too much to lose - kids, wife, house, job, free wifi. So, the actual number is something higher than 1,000-to-1.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Grundy1133 wrote: sounds like a george bushism :lol:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... ontificate

:???:
Psalm 91:2

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grundy1133 »

SQLGeek wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote: sounds like a george bushism :lol:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... ontificate

:???:
i know but it sounds like one tho... like how he used to add "icate" to words.
NRA Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

montgomery wrote:
LDB415 wrote:I figure 1 in 100 is maybe optimistic when it gets right down to it. It's probably 1 in 10 when it's forum talk but I doubt it will hold that level if it gets to it.
After listening to all the stand and fight cold dead hands ever since Sandy Hook, I have looked over 1,000 men - aged 25 to 50 - in the eye and asked "are you willing to fight and die for your gun rights?"

To a man, every single one said they had too much to lose - kids, wife, house, job, free wifi. So, the actual number is something higher than 1,000-to-1.
Assuming that you polled a truly representative sample of the population, then your poll may be an accurate reflection of the percentage willing to fight. Did you have any other conversation, or ask any other questions that might bias the responses (e.g. asking if they were "sure" given what they had to lose, etc.)?

The more interesting question would be to ask about the number of people who are willing to fight to preserve our system of self governance. Based on military enlistment numbers alone, I'd say that number is quite a bit higher. The key is to help people understand the real issue that we are talking about, so they don't mistakenly believe that we are only at risk of losing gun rights, or only at risk of losing our ability to own a bump stock.

To paraphrase, at first they came for the bump stocks, and I did not fight them because I didn't see a use for bump stocks. Then they came for 60 round magazines, and I did not fight them because all of my magazines are less than 40 rounds. Then they limited gun ownership to a max of 5 handguns and 5 long guns, and I did not fight them because I had less than those numbers.............. Finally, they came for my freedoms, and I gathered like minded friends to resist, but we did not have the means to do so.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
montgomery wrote:

Assuming that you polled a truly representative sample of the population, then your poll may be an accurate reflection of the percentage willing to fight. Did you have any other conversation, or ask any other questions that might bias the responses (e.g. asking if they were "sure" given what they had to lose, etc.)?

The more interesting question would be to ask about the number of people who are willing to fight to preserve our system of self governance. Based on military enlistment numbers alone, I'd say that number is quite a bit higher. The key is to help people understand the real issue that we are talking about, so they don't mistakenly believe that we are only at risk of losing gun rights, or only at risk of losing our ability to own a bump stock.

To paraphrase, at first they came for the bump stocks, and I did not fight them because I didn't see a use for bump stocks. Then they came for 60 round magazines, and I did not fight them because all of my magazines are less than 40 rounds. Then they limited gun ownership to a max of 5 handguns and 5 long guns, and I did not fight them because I had less than those numbers.............. Finally, they came for my freedoms, and I gathered like minded friends to resist, but we did not have the means to do so.

No poll. Asked so-called patriots and gun guys I personally know from all walks of life, man to man, eye to eye. By no means was it scientific, but it was telling.

The real issue is the average person is too complacent in their comfortable lives to get informed and get engaged. In the spirit of the Harley-Davidson mantra, "If you have to explain, they won't understand".

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grundy1133 »

montgomery wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
montgomery wrote:

No poll. Asked so-called patriots and gun guys I personally know from all walks of life, man to man, eye to eye. By no means was it scientific, but it was telling.

The real issue is the average person is too complacent in their comfortable lives to get informed and get engaged. In the spirit of the Harley-Davidson mantra, "If you have to explain, they won't understand".
omg this! so much this! I've been saying this for years.... the majority of the younger generations (including people my age. im 30) are so complacent with their lives and the delusion that the govt will "protect them" should they strip them of their rights.... the government isnt stripping you of your rights in exchange for protection.... they're doing it so they can CONTROL YOU. if they want you to do something all they have to do is point a gun at you. if they want to commit genocide because the US is over populated, all they have to do is point a gun at you.... once they take away the 2nd, all our other rights will soon follow...
NRA Member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”