Is Cornyn's time up?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rotor
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Is Cornyn's time up?

Post by rotor »

What specific things are people critical of? 1 vote senate majority and takes 60 to pass something. What do you expect Cornyn to pass? I see no better candidate out there.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

I sure hope so.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

strogg wrote:In reality, Cornyn is pro-2A. He's just not as ardent about it as most 2A supporters are. He's more on the middle, which still makes him a far better candidate than any Demorat. I will vote for him if he is my best choice, regardless of political party affiliation.
BBYC wrote:The way things are going, I know a few people who may not self-identify as Republicans in 2020.
On paper or reality? I identify myself as Republican on paper, only because they are the closest party in existence I can call home. I agree with them on about 70% of the issues, albeit I may agree with them for completely different reasons. I will continue to identify myself on paper as such until a better party comes along or things just naturally shift. By the time 2020 rolls along, I'll still probably be Republican on paper. In reality, I consider myself my own person. There is no political party that describes my true political beliefs.

I think the same can be said for most people out there right of center-left. My theory is, it's one of the reasons why the Republicans have been doing so poorly even after gaining the majority of the government. People on the center-left and over all share pretty much the same views for the same reasons (very emotionally too), which is why they're so strong. People on the center-right and over have many views for many different reasons, some of which may or may not be emotionally motivated, and that makes it harder for them to band together to make meaningful decisions.
You mean he is a fudd ?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

miljet

Post by miljet »

Cornyn is trying to fill John McCain's shoes.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

RoyGBiv wrote:If Betto manages to beat Cruz, Cruz can run against Cornyn. :mrgreen:
If Robert O'Rourke loses to Rafael Cruz, O'Rourke can lose again in two years against Cornyn. :mrgreen:
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

kscaddo

Post by kscaddo »

Swamp Creature :rules:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

:smash: Cornyn is another example of the ever pressing need for TERM LIMITS at all levels of elective service.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

mrvmax wrote:He’s part of the swamp and needs to go along with most of the rest of them.
:iagree:

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Oldgringo wrote::smash: Cornyn is another example of the ever pressing need for TERM LIMITS at all levels of elective service.
:iagree:

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

I wrote to Cornyn asking him to continue to push the Hearing Protection Act and Concealed Carry Reciprocity. What I got back, which I'm sure is his canned response to anything related to the second amendment, was his contribution to safety through Fix NICS and mental health.

The solution to bad government is not more government.

Is he the less bad candidate? Yes, in my opinion, but I would love to have the option of a good one. I agree that term limits would help a lot with this.

Jeff

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

We could do better than Cornyn, but we could also do a whole lot worse especially if we primary him out and a Dem slips in in his place. I think he's probably better than people give him credit for, but I also think he's far too entrenched in the establishment to be a true conservative leader at this point. I'd prefer another Cruz but Cornyn's not bad enough (yet) to throw out in a fit of voter anger, like say, a McCain or Collins, or even McConnell, might be, especially without a slam dunk alternative waiting in the wings.

I don't know, but first things first - we MUST get Cruz re-elected. We can worry about Cornyn in a couple of years.

BBYC
Posts in topic: 5

Post by BBYC »

strogg wrote:
BBYC wrote:The way things are going, I know a few people who may not self-identify as Republicans in 2020.
On paper or reality? .
Reality.

They didn't repeal Obamacare. They didn't eliminate any Federal anti-Bill-of-Rights zones like USPS or COE wetlands. They didn't pass national reciprocity. They did support further restrictions on civilian arms. They did pass legislation that will increase the national debt. They didn't make any meaningful progress, if any, to "drain the swamp."

If they continue to pander to the progs, I think they will lose more votes than they gain. If the Republican politicians choose that path, they shouldn't complain where that path takes them on election day.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

rotor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rotor »

BBYC wrote:
strogg wrote:
On paper or reality? .
Reality.

They didn't repeal Obamacare. They didn't eliminate any Federal anti-Bill-of-Rights zones like USPS or COE wetlands. They didn't pass national reciprocity. They did support further restrictions on civilian arms. They did pass legislation that will increase the national debt. They didn't make any meaningful progress, if any, to "drain the swamp."

If they continue to pander to the progs, I think they will lose more votes than they gain. If the Republican politicians choose that path, they shouldn't complain where that path takes them on election day.
If you were there how would you do it without more senators? As long as it takes 60 votes we are dead. Tax relief passed because it didn't take 60 votes. We all complain but technically how can we pass anything when all of the dems vote no?

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

rotor wrote:
BBYC wrote:
strogg wrote:
On paper or reality? .
Reality.

If you were there how would you do it without more senators? As long as it takes 60 votes we are dead. Tax relief passed because it didn't take 60 votes. We all complain but technically how can we pass anything when all of the dems vote no?
Trump and the GOP managed to eliminate the individual mandate. Barely.

The GOP needs to stop promising the moon during election time and then deliver only "crumbs" during congressional time.

It continues to amaze me how the progs can ram through so much crap and the GOP cannot. The GOP turns tail and runs at the slightest provocation from the progs. Heck, look at the bloated budget they passed. Even Chucky Schumer was laughing at all he got.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

allisji

Post by allisji »

rotor wrote:What specific things are people critical of? 1 vote senate majority and takes 60 to pass something. What do you expect Cornyn to pass? I see no better candidate out there.
I am curious as well. Here are some things that I have questions on about him.

1. he voiced support of a bump-stock ban
2. he separated fix NICs from National Reciprocity to pass fix NICs because he knew he couldn't pass Reciprocity.
3. Has he ever tried to reduce government spending?
4. Has he ever pushed to end US involvement in a foreign war?
5. Has he ever voted to defund Planned Parenthood?
6. Has he ever taken serious actions to stop illegal immigration and reduce US residency for refugees/asylum seekers/etc.

If the answers to the last 4 points are all "No" then he definitely needs to go. Though it is wise to weigh the cost of defeating him in a primary against the likelihood of losing the senate seat to a democrat.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”