Oklahoma House passes "Constitutional Carry" bill

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Oklahoma House passes "Constitutional Carry" bill

Post by Tex1961 »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/04 ... -bill.html

I dunno.. I'm all PRO carry (obviously). But untrained, unlicensed folks walking around with a concealed firearm... Just don't know how I feel about that.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Oklahoma House passes "Constitutional Carry" bill

Post by bblhd672 »

Tex1961 wrote:But untrained, unlicensed folks walking around with a concealed firearm... Just don't know how I feel about that.
The untrained, unlicensed criminals are already walking around with concealed firearm...I know I don't like that, especially if I'm not legally doing the same.

Hopefully the OK Senate passes the bill and it is signed into law by the Gov.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

Anyone can open carry here in NM, but you have to be licensed to CC.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Tex1961 wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/04 ... -bill.html

I dunno.. I'm all PRO carry (obviously). But untrained, unlicensed folks walking around with a concealed firearm... Just don't know how I feel about that.
I feel the same way about unlicensed, untrained folks posting on the internet, exercising their religious beliefs, and voting in our elections.

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

I previously held the same views. Previously. People in Texas without a permit can have a gun in their vehicle now. Bad guys don't follow the law and they carry without a permit now. I think the more good guys carrying makes it better for all of us, especially when it comes to voting and when one party wants to take those rights away. The other issue is that I don't know beyond the course given now in Texas how many people do any significant training after getting a LTC yet we haven't seen any problems. So, I am for it.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:

I feel the same way about unlicensed, untrained folks posting on the :smilelol5: internet, exercising their religious beliefs, and voting in our elections.
I am a “butter”. I’m all PRO freedom of religion BUT I’m worried about all those Jehovah’s witnesses walking around my neighborhood unlicensed and untrained. :smilelol5:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

strogg

Post by strogg »

In Texas, "trained" would be people who know some amount of Texas law and are able to shoot somewhere near the middle of a giant sheet of paper. It's not difficult. So constitutional carry in a state like Oklahoma where the gun culture is woven into society? Works for me. But if constitutional carry would be passed in a state like California, I'd honestly be worried. Not that I don't trust the typical gun owner in CA, but there are enough crazies there that it genuinely would be a problem. Just my $.02 on the issue.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

rotor wrote:

I previously held the same views. Previously. People in Texas without a permit can have a gun in their vehicle now. Bad guys don't follow the law and they carry without a permit now. I think the more good guys carrying makes it better for all of us, especially when it comes to voting and when one party wants to take those rights away. The other issue is that I don't know beyond the course given now in Texas how many people do any significant training after getting a LTC yet we haven't seen any problems. So, I am for it.
:iagree:

I've learned more about the legal responsibilities of carrying here on this forum than I did in my class. As far as practical use of a firearm, my Dad did that well enough for me to shoot a perfect score. For me the class was a formality and a joke.

Allons

Post by Allons »

bblhd672 wrote:
Tex1961 wrote:But untrained, unlicensed folks walking around with a concealed firearm... Just don't know how I feel about that.
The untrained, unlicensed criminals are already walking around with concealed firearm...I know I don't like that, especially if I'm not legally doing the same.

Hopefully the OK Senate passes the bill and it is signed into law by the Gov.
:iagree: With the unlicensed criminals totally right.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

anygunanywhere wrote: I'm PRO carry BUT....

Please spare me the buts because you obviously are not Pro freedom.

The Second Amendment says a well regulated militia which means well trained militia is necessary for a FREE state. The Second Amendment says nothing about permission slips or required training. No other right has these requirements so why do people insist my Second Amendment rights require licensing or training?
:iagree:
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I hope this passes in OK. While there are those who believe that only those properly "trained" should be allowed to carry, I say, having an LTC, only means we have been given "permission" to exercise a right that should not be infringed. As others have posted, the "training" one actually receives, is pretty limited. If I had only that training, I would feel very inadequate, in carrying everyday.
I feel the same way when I hear someone say that only "trained LEO should carry guns." As a former LEO, I know exactly how little training they receive, and how little effort they have to put in to re-qualify.

Law abiding citizens, should not be restricted from carrying firearms. Period. No other Constitutional right, requires training, or special permission, to be exercised. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Allons

Post by Allons »

Jusme wrote:I hope this passes in OK. While there are those who believe that only those properly "trained" should be allowed to carry, I say, having an LTC, only means we have been given "permission" to exercise a right that should not be infringed. As others have posted, the "training" one actually receives, is pretty limited. If I had only that training, I would feel very inadequate, in carrying everyday.
I feel the same way when I hear someone say that only "trained LEO should carry guns." As a former LEO, I know exactly how little training they receive, and how little effort they have to put in to re-qualify.

Law abiding citizens, should not be restricted from carrying firearms. Period. No other Constitutional right, requires training, or special permission, to be exercised. JMHO
:iagree: That is why I train at least 200 rounds a month. I just got my license but I have been doing this for the last 6 months or so. I also had 10 years of military experience firing all kinds of weapons. Just because you have a LTC does not mean you should not train and train frequently.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Mind if I ask what training you've had?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Stop the personal attacks and insults!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't give a hoot how strongly you feel about anything, keep that crap off the Forum. I'm tired and I'm tired of having to give this warning every few weeks. The usual suspects are going to be gone if it continues.

In case you are wondering, I deleted the typical insulting post and the one that quoted it.

Chas.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”