Oklahoma House passes "Constitutional Carry" bill

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

apostate
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Oklahoma House passes "Constitutional Carry" bill

Post by apostate »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Tex1961 wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/04 ... -bill.html

I dunno.. I'm all PRO carry (obviously). But untrained, unlicensed folks walking around with a concealed firearm... Just don't know how I feel about that.
I feel the same way about unlicensed, untrained folks posting on the internet, exercising their religious beliefs, and voting in our elections.
:iagree: especially voting!

Daddio-on-patio
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Stop the personal attacks and insults!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't give a hoot how strongly you feel about anything, keep that crap off the Forum. I'm tired and I'm tired of having to give this warning every few weeks. The usual suspects are going to be gone if it continues.

In case you are wondering, I deleted the typical insulting post and the one that quoted it.

Chas.

Sir,
The diligent work by you and the other moderators is why I enjoy participating on this forum. I recommend the site to others largely due to its oversight. Thank you for all the work you and the staff put in on our behalf.
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

howdy

Post by howdy »

My only concern is that the 30.06/30.07 signs would not be valid for those that do not have a license so the politicians would have to come up with another method for antis to keep out those who carry. Would they go to a ghost buster sign to keep out the unlicensed and 30.06/07 for the licensed or just a ghost buster sign for all those who carry. We saw a boat load more 30.06 signs go up after open carry was passed and very few of us take advantage of open carry. (I was for open carry) It is just too easy now to get a license and maintain that license. I just don't like the politicians getting any more involved with our gun rights. Sometimes we regret getting what we wish for.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

jason812

Post by jason812 »

howdy wrote:My only concern is that the 30.06/30.07 signs would not be valid for those that do not have a license so the politicians would have to come up with another method for antis to keep out those who carry. Would they go to a ghost buster sign to keep out the unlicensed and 30.06/07 for the licensed or just a ghost buster sign for all those who carry. We saw a boat load more 30.06 signs go up after open carry was passed and very few of us take advantage of open carry. (I was for open carry) It is just too easy now to get a license and maintain that license. I just don't like the politicians getting any more involved with our gun rights. Sometimes we regret getting what we wish for.
Easy, if you have a license, you get to carry same as LEO. 30.06/.07 signs apply to unlicensed. Then in a few years when nothing happens, signs go away and we get true constitutional carry. Too bad we can't just jump straight to constitutional carry.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

jason812 wrote:
howdy wrote:My only concern is that the 30.06/30.07 signs would not be valid for those that do not have a license so the politicians would have to come up with another method for antis to keep out those who carry. Would they go to a ghost buster sign to keep out the unlicensed and 30.06/07 for the licensed or just a ghost buster sign for all those who carry. We saw a boat load more 30.06 signs go up after open carry was passed and very few of us take advantage of open carry. (I was for open carry) It is just too easy now to get a license and maintain that license. I just don't like the politicians getting any more involved with our gun rights. Sometimes we regret getting what we wish for.
Easy, if you have a license, you get to carry same as LEO. 30.06/.07 signs apply to unlicensed. Then in a few years when nothing happens, signs go away and we get true constitutional carry. Too bad we can't just jump straight to constitutional carry.
I wish but using your logic we shouldn't have 30.06/07 signs now. But we can all hope for a change.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Wyoming has constitutional carry. has for awhile and you never hear anything about shootings happening up there. I think people who want to carry for self defense are going to get some form of training or another so that they will be apt to protect themselves should they need to...
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

rotor wrote:
jason812 wrote:
I wish but using your logic we shouldn't have 30.06/07 signs now. But we can all hope for a change.
I think if constitutional carry passes, the 30.07 30.06 signs would either come down, or establishments would add the blue "unlicensed possession" signs to their doors and windows. that would bar anyone with a license nad anyone without a license so they'd have their bases covered...
NRA Member

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

Grundy1133 wrote:
rotor wrote:
jason812 wrote:
I think if constitutional carry passes, the 30.07 30.06 signs would either come down, or establishments would add the blue "unlicensed possession" signs to their doors and windows. that would bar anyone with a license nad anyone without a license so they'd have their bases covered...
Not sure what you mean. Blue signs? Alcohol signs? Blue alcohol does not bar you from entering now with a LTC.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

rotor wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
rotor wrote:
jason812 wrote:
Not sure what you mean. Blue signs? Alcohol signs? Blue alcohol does not bar you from entering now with a LTC.
I'm not talking about the 51% sign becuase it says licensed OR unlicensed... the blue sign im talking about is this one Image since this sign applies to UNLICENSED gun carriers (constitutional carry) and the 30.06/30.07 signs apply to LICENSED carriers, they have all their bases covered.
NRA Member

apostate

Post by apostate »

Grundy1133 wrote:
rotor wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
rotor wrote:
jason812 wrote:
I'm not talking about the 51% sign becuase it says licensed OR unlicensed... the blue sign im talking about is this one Image since this sign applies to UNLICENSED gun carriers (constitutional carry) and the 30.06/30.07 signs apply to LICENSED carriers, they have all their bases covered.
Unless the store sells alcoholic beverages, the TABC blue sign is irrelevant.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Since I understand the concern about "untrained" people carrying guns, I re-read the Second Amendment. It does NOT say:

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed if a person has state approved training.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

You wouldn't need to change the law at all. Unless I'm mistaken, property owners currently can grant conditional permission to enter their property. But this takes more than a "ghost buster" type sign with a circle/slash through a picture of something. A sign like the following would be legally enforceable right now, I believe. Lawyers please chime in if I am mistaken.
Entry onto this property is granted subject to the following conditions:
1. You must have voted in the last U.S. Presidential election.
2. You must have never in your life supported any candidate for any political party other than the Libertarian party, in any way whatsoever.
3. You must be wearing underwear.
4. Such underwear must not be of the form commonly known as "boxers".
5. You must be wearing a small medallion in the shape of the state of Texas on a chain around your neck. Such chain must be between 16 and 32 inches in total length.
6. You must not be in possession of any firearms.
7. You must be in possession of socks, but you are not required to be wearing them on your feet.
8. You must not have any intent to commit any crimes upon entry to this property, or to cause any harm whatsoever to come to any other person during your visit, even if the infliction of such harm is not illegal. This includes intentionally hurting someone's feelings.

If you are not in compliance with 3 or more of the above conditions then you do not have permission to enter these premises, and any entry on your part will constitute trespassing, except that if you are not in compliance with entry condition 6 or 8, then that one condition of non-compliance will be sufficient to constitute trespassing on it's own even if the total conditions you are not compliant with are less than 3.
If property owners want to get "cute" with such conditional permissions for entry, they can do so, and anyone violating their conditions would be guilty of trespass under section 30.05. They just need to clearly state that entry is not permitted if you don't meet their conditions.

I would also point out that we currently have constitutional carry in Texas. The only exception is for some guns (handguns) and then only in certain circumstances (outside your home / vehicle). Any discussion really should just be about eliminating these few exceptions to our current constitutional carry rights.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I dunno.. I'm all PRO carry (obviously). But untrained, unlicensed folks walking around with a concealed firearm... Just don't know how I feel about that.
I feel great about it. One more state that understands that the 2nd Amendment says that the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. They preceded us with licensed open carry too. I recall no headlines about blood running in the streets. Oklahomans - despite the fact that their football sucks :mrgreen: - are leading the way. Good for them. If this bill gets signed into law, they’ll prove that Constitutional Carry will not cause blood to run in the streets either......just as in other states that have had it for a long time.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

That is Part of what the 2nd Amendment means. Licensing laws are quite literally unconstitutional. To some it may not be sensible but that is the root of it.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

strogg wrote:In Texas, "trained" would be people who know some amount of Texas law and are able to shoot somewhere near the middle of a giant sheet of paper. It's not difficult. So constitutional carry in a state like Oklahoma where the gun culture is woven into society? Works for me. But if constitutional carry would be passed in a state like California, I'd honestly be worried. Not that I don't trust the typical gun owner in CA, but there are enough crazies there that it genuinely would be a problem. Just my $.02 on the issue.
The good guys who would carry in CA have as much gun culture as anywhere else in the US. The entire state isn't San Francisco.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”