Banks, credit-card cos. explore tracking gun purchases

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Banks, credit-card cos. explore tracking gun purchases

Post by Grundy1133 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Abraham wrote:Given "Level 3 credit card data" buy all things gun with cash.

Gonna make buying over the internet difficult - like ammo from SGA.

Or, simply not worry ourselves about Level 3 and do what we want when we want and let the devil take the hindmost or something like that...

And if we make a run on the banks - where to put the cash...?

Anyone?
Using a reloadable prepaid card could help break the link between your transactional data and your identity. However, using prepaid cards online will create a link between your account and your ship to address and email address.

:roll:
I've never trusted banks... for good reason. I think if banks begin monitoring what we buy, when it comes to guns and related items, I think maybe a lot of online ammo sites will adopt bitcoin. while it isnt 100% anonymous, it is extremely difficult to trace whose wallet it came from. They'd have to go thru 1 by 1 searching each persons crypto wallet to find the matching transaction.... that would be extremely time consuming. And even then who's to say I even OWN a bitcoin wallet? there's nothing linking it to me... a lot of people hate crypto currency but i love it.
NRA Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Grundy1133 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

Or, simply not worry ourselves about Level 3 and do what we want when we want and let the devil take the hindmost or something like that...

Anyone?
Using a reloadable prepaid card could help break the link between your transactional data and your identity. However, using prepaid cards online will create a link between your account and your ship to address and email address.

I've never trusted banks... for good reason. I think if banks begin monitoring what we buy, when it comes to guns and related items, I think maybe a lot of online ammo sites will adopt bitcoin. while it isnt 100% anonymous, it is extremely difficult to trace whose wallet it came from. They'd have to go thru 1 by 1 searching each persons crypto wallet to find the matching transaction.... that would be extremely time consuming. And even then who's to say I even OWN a bitcoin wallet? there's nothing linking it to me... a lot of people hate crypto currency but i love it.
Or they could just accept payment in gold or silver coin. Takes a couple days to mail in the payment, but we aren't talking about a convenience buy here. Shipping the gun / ammo will take a few days regardless.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

Here let me carve off a chunk of gold for me ammo purchase. Yeah, that makes sense....

Sorry, but someone mentioned 'that horse has already left the barn' or words to that effect.

Guns, ammo, gun tools, holsters all bought in my name, here, there and yonder on my credit card, but NOW I'll be stealthy... it's too late...

I'm not going to worry about what I buy here, there, everywhere, but IF I could start over (too late) I would go off the grid.

Too late, but not too late to say, Molon Labe.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

Anyone?

Or they could just accept payment in gold or silver coin. Takes a couple days to mail in the payment, but we aren't talking about a convenience buy here. Shipping the gun / ammo will take a few days regardless.

Oh, and it wasn't too long ago that owning gold was illegal by the way....

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-ma ... 08196.html

Gotta love our 'free-dom loving' nation. (Which I do, but things are getting rather out-of-hand).

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Gold was confiscated only because the Fed needed more physical gold in order to inflate the currency. Since the end of Bretton Woods and the nominal link between good and the US dollar in 1971, the risk of confiscation has fallen to essentially zero. Our currency is already so debased that any attempt to apply a gold backing to it would necessarily be strongly deflationary, which would be even less appealing to the Fed in a crisis wherein its instinct is to expand the money supply at any cost.

If you want to be scared, look at the M0/M3/money multiplier data from the St. Louis Fed website. The US dollar as a store of value died in 2008-12 due to runaway inflation. You might point out that inflation was exceptionally low during those years, and you'd be correct, at least from the perspective of ants like us. However, the Fed's own data shows M0 increase 300% while the money multiplier goes from 1.3 to 0.74 overnight. In plain English, the Fed bought up the banks' gross negligence (i.e. toxic debt) with newly printed dollars which the banks then stuffed into their figurative vaults. We never saw inflation because the normal propagation of money that naturally occurs in a fractional reserve banking system ended in a matter of weeks in late 2008.

Taking your 10 oz gold bar and then claiming that the dollar is now backed by gold, presumably to quell popular fears and the great of hyperinflation, would backfire because they'd have to publicly claim that a $14000 gold bar was in fact worth a millions, which would put the scale of the problem in terms that even Joe Sixpack can grasp. They want that like they want syphilis.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjabread »

It would move more business into the gray market where there's less pressure to collect sales tax on undocumented transactions.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

In the last month I ate lunch at 3 new places. I opened my Gmail this morning to find emails from 2 of those places, and I most assuredly did not sign up for any program while I was there. My credit card company had to have sold them or in some way conveyed my email address to them.

My guess is the credit card companies are far more savvy than we think they are, and most definitely in bed with retailers as they are in are intertwined.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

My bank is USAA. I'm not concerned.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I'm much less concerned about this than I am about government enforced restrictions. Citi and BoA and some of the other mega-banks are just virtue signaling for short term brownie points with their executives' left wing cocktail party friends. It's like Hollywood. What concerns me much more is the government using banking regulation as a back door way to achieve what they can't through legislation. Obama couldn't get any significant gun control legislation through even a Democrat controlled Congress, he used AG Holder to implement Operation Choke Point to force banks to stop doing business with private gun dealers. Now 8 years later, along comes Citi and company trying to do the same without the Gov telling them to. Banking is very competitive in the US even amongst the mega-banks and of course there are many thousands of smaller banks. No one but the government is going to get them all to stop doing business with the NRA and gun manufacturers/dealers. They really aren't even getting any real credibility with the Code Pink Pacifist Anti Military left. You think Citi and BoA are going to stop doing business with Northrop Grumman and Lockheed Martin and Raytheon because they make Hellfire Missiles, Bombers, Fighter Planes, Attack Helicopters and heavy weapons? If you're concerned about violence, let's start with the big stuff, not Ruger and Remington and Bushmaster. No. This is a fad for the corporatist crony capitalist left to have something to brag about at their dinner party in the Hamptons and Beverly Hills. :coolgleamA:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

oohrah wrote:My bank is USAA. I'm not concerned.
USAA has 30.06/7 signs at their HQ and Offices in San Antonio and the senior executive level may well populated by statist military authoritarian general/flag officer types. These people often have no concern for the rights of "civilians" AKA citizens, or even enlisted or jr officer ranks. Especially insurance conglomerates are often controlled by risk averse "weenies" and desk warriors. However, it is a mutual insurance company, therefore legally run for the benefit of the members/policyholders. So remember that when you vote your proxy for their annual meeting. I started withholding my votes for directors on their slate that appear to be no mare than affirmative action picks vs. people with military and industry experience. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Y’all remember that thread that we had a while back about crypto currency?

Ahem...

Here’s an application for it.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

ScottDLS wrote:
oohrah wrote:My bank is USAA. I'm not concerned.
USAA has 30.06/7 signs at their HQ and Offices in San Antonio and the senior executive level may well populated by statist military authoritarian general/flag officer types. These people often have no concern for the rights of "civilians" AKA citizens, or even enlisted or jr officer ranks. Especially insurance conglomerates are often controlled by risk averse "weenies" and desk warriors. However, it is a mutual insurance company, therefore legally run for the benefit of the members/policyholders. So remember that when you vote your proxy for their annual meeting. I started withholding my votes for directors on their slate that appear to be no mare than affirmative action picks vs. people with military and industry experience. :rules:
YMMV. I've been a member 50 years and quite pleased with the way I am treated.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

EastTexasRancher wrote:In the last month I ate lunch at 3 new places. I opened my Gmail this morning to find emails from 2 of those places, and I most assuredly did not sign up for any program while I was there. My credit card company had to have sold them or in some way conveyed my email address to them.

My guess is the credit card companies are far more savvy than we think they are, and most definitely in bed with retailers as they are in are intertwined.
I'm in retail for IT for a large Fortune 100 company. Big data allows for correlations not previously possible. Google position data, credit card usage data, and publicly available data can be time coordinated very easily now.

All of it is legal, but may not be an understood capability by consumers.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”