And we move further toward Civil War

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

And we move further toward Civil War

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

One could reasonably argue that the next Civil War has already begun. We have states and localities openly declaring their defiance to the authority of the Federal Government with Sanctuary City / State resolutions. Isn't local defiance of the Federal Government's authority pretty much the definition of a Civil War? Or at least the start of one?

Now it is coming from the other side, as several rural counties in Illinois have declared their sanctuary status for gun owners. Like the policies of the left on immigration, these counties are barring their employees from enforcing gun laws that they view as wrong.

Like it or not, history does have a way of repeating itself. Keep your powder dry folks.

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2018/05/06/il ... un-owners/

chamberc
Posts in topic: 1

Re: And we move further toward Civil War

Post by chamberc »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:One could reasonably argue that the next Civil War has already begun. We have states and localities openly declaring their defiance to the authority of the Federal Government with Sanctuary City / State resolutions. Isn't local defiance of the Federal Government's authority pretty much the definition of a Civil War? Or at least the start of one?

Now it is coming from the other side, as several rural counties in Illinois have declared their sanctuary status for gun owners. Like the policies of the left on immigration, these counties are barring their employees from enforcing gun laws that they view as wrong.

Like it or not, history does have a way of repeating itself. Keep your powder dry folks.

There is a large difference between today's society and an actual, shooting, civil war. In a society with outstanding quality of living such as ours, a great deal of oppression will be tolerated before any significant amount of citizens would pick up arms.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

chamberc wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:One could reasonably argue that the next Civil War has already begun. We have states and localities openly declaring their defiance to the authority of the Federal Government with Sanctuary City / State resolutions. Isn't local defiance of the Federal Government's authority pretty much the definition of a Civil War? Or at least the start of one?

There is a large difference between today's society and an actual, shooting, civil war. In a society with outstanding quality of living such as ours, a great deal of oppression will be tolerated before any significant amount of citizens would pick up arms.
We have states that are officially refusing to recognize the authority of the federal government. I agree that we likely are a ways from a shooting war, and that's a good thing. But we are headed down the path to states openly asserting their right to challenge federal rule, and that is also a good thing IMHO.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

Be prepared. It is not known whether the left will to continue to push their civil war against Americans who oppose their views until the war goes from cold to hot.

Why Science and Experience Command That You Buy an 'Assault Rifle'
https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtsch ... e-n2478108
Because, while the chance you will ever have to fire a weapon is very low, the downside of not having one when you need it is very high. You die.
The Surprisingly Solid Mathematical Case of the Tin Foil Hat Gun Prepper Or, “Who Needs an AR-15 Anyway?”
https://medium.com/s/story/the-surprisi ... fce7d10437
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

bblhd672 wrote:Be prepared. It is not known whether the left will to continue to push their civil war against Americans who oppose their views until the war goes from cold to hot.

Because, while the chance you will ever have to fire a weapon is very low, the downside of not having one when you need it is very high. You die.
The Surprisingly Solid Mathematical Case of the Tin Foil Hat Gun Prepper Or, “Who Needs an AR-15 Anyway?”
The old saying is that a gun is like a parachute, if you ever need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

bblhd672 wrote:Be prepared. It is not known whether the left will to continue to push their civil war against Americans who oppose their views until the war goes from cold to hot.

Some good reading there!

I like this quote about the LA riots:
At the time, the then-geniuses running the Guard centralized all the Guard’s ammo about four hours away. But the Guardsmen – many of them from the affected neighborhoods – took the kind of initiative that makes American soldiers the best in the world. They brought their own stuff. I never saw so many guns in my life...
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

bblhd672 wrote:...snip articles...
That was a good read. Thanks for sharing!!!

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

PriestTheRunner wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:...snip articles...
That was a good read. Thanks for sharing!!!
Every piece written by him is great. I recommend reading them all.
https://medium.com/@bjcampbell/everybod ... 08ed400be5
https://medium.com/@bjcampbell/the-gun- ... 13b21ff3f9
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

that's a great read!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Paladin wrote:

Some good reading there!

I like this quote about the LA riots:
At the time, the then-geniuses running the Guard centralized all the Guard’s ammo about four hours away. But the Guardsmen – many of them from the affected neighborhoods – took the kind of initiative that makes American soldiers the best in the world. They brought their own stuff. I never saw so many guns in my life...
I lived there then, and worked right in downtown L.A. I illegally carried a 1911 to work with me every day. It was a darn scary time.

Kurt Schlichter, by the way, is one of my favorite writers / columnists. His novels are awesome. I had no idea he was from Pasadena - my home town. And the Turner’s Outdoorsman he mentions, where he bought a gun, is where I bought my Model 29 and a Remington Viper .22, and a ton of .45, .44 mag, .22LR, and .308 Winchester ammo over the years - not to mention the hours upon hours I spent there over the years just hanging out.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

[quote="bblhd672"]Be prepared. It is not known whether the left will to continue to push their civil war against Americans who oppose their views until the war goes from cold to hot

I often wonder if the loony left really grasps the number of guns and amount of ammo in the hands of the American Public.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

KLB

Post by KLB »

lonestar144 wrote:So what if a State/County decides they want to create these so called "gun sanctuary cities", this is well within the laws of the Constitution.
Relations between a state and the federal government are one thing. Relations between a state and its political subdivisions are another. In our federal system, the federal government is a repository of sovereignty, but the states are repositories as well. Subject to the effect of the Supremacy Clause, states can refuse to enforce federal laws, but they cannot prohibit the federal government from doing so.

The Illinois case is different. The downstate counties are concerned about laws that might be passed by the Chicago-dominated legislature. But the counties are political subdivisions of the state. They have no power the state does not give them. I'm no Illinois lawyer, but I'm skeptical that the Illinois constitution or legislature would empower counties to resist state laws.

The counties can argue that the state laws violate individual rights granted by the state or federal constitutions, but to the extent the subject Illinois statutes don't violate such rights, the counties will be out of luck.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Not necessarily. It could be a legitimate exercise of Tenth Amendment rights. The same for individual defiance of the government. Civil disobedience is not the same as civil war.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

BBYC wrote:
Not necessarily. It could be a legitimate exercise of Tenth Amendment rights. The same for individual defiance of the government. Civil disobedience is not the same as civil war.
So what if a state openly declared that they would not accept the authority of the federal government, and would not allow any state employees to enforce laws that had been passed by the "illegitimate" government in DC? What exactly differentiates the current actions of certain states from what we saw happening in the 1860's? Official declarations of independence / war? We have leaders of state governments openly calling the current U.S. President "illegitimate" and forbidding their employees from cooperating with federal law enforcement agents. The lines between civil disobedience and outright rebellion are not always black and white. We can argue semantics, but in substance, I think we are further down the path than most people would like to admit.

And BTW, I believe that rebellion is also a "legitimate" exercise of a state's rights, on behalf of it's people. The Declaration of Independence makes a very compelling case for the legitimacy of such an action.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:The Declaration of Independence makes a very compelling case for the legitimacy of such an action.
The Declaration of Independence is the founding document most applicable to what the government of today has become. I have read many times that the fatal flaw of the Constitution is that there is no mechanism included to force the government to abide by it, especially when the legislative, judicial and executive branches act in a manner contrary to the Founder's intentions.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”