AR: No campus carry probs, antis complain anyway

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

AR: No campus carry probs, antis complain anyway

Post by ELB »

No gun troubles yet, say Arkansas colleges; lawmakers hear mixed opinions
University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff Police Chief Maxcie Thomas, however, told members of the Arkansas Legislative Council's Higher Education Subcommittee on Thursday that he still has qualms with the new law.

Thomas said he's concerned that a permitted gun carrier could "become an active shooter" if a situation upset him. Additionally, Thomas fears that police would have a hard time distinguishing between an active shooter and gun-carrying resident in an emergency situation.

"It'd be hard to tell a good person from a bad person," he said. "It's really challenging for us."

Conversely, Henderson State University Police Chief Johnny Campbell said licensed firearm carriers could be beneficial in a shooting situation because it could be two or three minutes before police can make it to the scene.

"Thomas said he's concerned that a permitted gun carrier could 'become an active shooter'"

Yeah, like those kids at Columbine, or the guy at Parkland, or the dude at the Pulse nightclub in Florida, or the guy who shot at the Republican lawmkers softball practice, or the guy who shot Gabby Giffords, or .... Ya mean like those "permitted gun carriers, Chief?"
USAF 1982-2005

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: AR: No campus carry probs, antis complain anyway

Post by Paladin »

Thomas fears that police would have a hard time distinguishing between an active shooter and gun-carrying resident in an emergency situation.

"It'd be hard to tell a good person from a bad person," he said. "It's really challenging for us."
Sounds like a training deficiency on the Chief's side of the house. Perhaps someone more qualified than Maxcie Thomas needs to be Chief? ;-)
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Paladin wrote:
Thomas fears that police would have a hard time distinguishing between an active shooter and gun-carrying resident in an emergency situation.

Sounds like a training deficiency on the Chief's side of the house. Perhaps someone more qualified than Maxcie Thomas needs to be Chief? ;-)
By the same token, they might want to ban licensed driving of automobiles. How's a LEO supposed to distinguish between a vehicle that was used in a crime and a similar looking vehicle that is being driven legally? By all means, let's limit the exercise of civil rights to only those that make LE's job easier.

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Seems to me like it would be pretty easy to tell the GG from a BG. The BG would likely be shooting at the police, while the GG isn't.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

kayt00 wrote:Seems to me like it would be pretty easy to tell the GG from a BG. The BG would likely be shooting at the police, while the GG isn't.
True! There are too many that train for "see a gun, shoot". That leads to all kind of problems, for example cops shooting other cops. It is a dangerous training deficiency.

You have to look at the whole person before you look at the hands and make a shoot/no-shoot decision.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

E10

Post by E10 »

For those Spenser: For Hire fans out there, this reminds me of an exchange between Spenser and Hawk about a man trying to kill Spenser.
(Spenser): Tell me about the shooter!
(Hawk): I think that was him shootin' at ya!
Maybe that episode should be required viewing for LEO's who work in "shall issue" states.

Allons

Post by Allons »

sbrawley wrote:Odd! We have campus carry and I have yet to hear of a student start shooting up a classroom because (s)he was upset.
Of course not because now they know that people on campus are carrying so it is not a gun free zone now.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

The only ones sooting up places are liberals. Take their guns away and we all will be safe. :thumbs2:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Allons

Post by Allons »

TreyHouston wrote:The only ones sooting up places are liberals. Take their guns away and we all will be safe. :thumbs2:
:iagree:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”