Is it time to get serious?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Is it time to get serious?

Post by puma guy »

I just responded to someone on Face Book who posted an outrageous anti-gun meme that included the official NRA logo/seal. I was wondering if that is a copyright protected emblem and if the NRA could legally prevent it's use or misuse. I also thought that maybe it's time we fight back the way the left and anti-gunners do. Lawsuits, large scale boycotts and protests at banks, businesses and other anti gun institutions. I think its time we start proactively rather than re-actively address the anti-gunners. Sort of AAG - anti-anti-gunners. Other suggestions are welcomed. It would be nice to have a benefactor or benefactors like the left has and organizers to coordinate the AAG effort. The left has been able to outgun us with johnny on the spot responses and we are left looking anemic with the NRA trying to plug the dike. I'm not saying the NRA is anemic in their attempts but they are pretty much taking the brunt of the bashing. I'd like to see some bashing from our side.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is it time to get serious?

Post by RicoTX »

99.999999% of memes are copyright protected photos or images that have been "stolen". My solution to the problem you mentioned is I just don't use Facebook. Not helpful I know... but your time is much better spent taking someone shooting who has never been to the range, etc. We won't win on social media...let those idiots waste each other's time.

My 2 cents anyway. :patriot:
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Allons

Post by Allons »

RicoTX wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:10 pm 99.999999% of memes are copyright protected photos or images that have been "stolen". My solution to the problem you mentioned is I just don't use Facebook. Not helpful I know... but your time is much better spent taking someone shooting who has never been to the range, etc. We won't win on social media...let those idiots waste each other's time.

:iagree:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

RicoTX wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:10 pm 99.999999% of memes are copyright protected photos or images that have been "stolen". My solution to the problem you mentioned is I just don't use Facebook. Not helpful I know... but your time is much better spent taking someone shooting who has never been to the range, etc. We won't win on social media...let those idiots waste each other's time.

I'm sure that many are CR images, but when you use an official logo in a negative or denigrating manner it's a little different; at least it seems so to me. I am not a legal eagle so I don't know if there's a possibility of litigation. My main point is the left uses lawsuits all the time to punish and bankrupt their enemies and opponents. Why don't we reciprocate? I do actually invite some of them to go shoot with me. No takers as of yet. I'm not going to change their minds, but maybe some lurker will be inspired to look up the truth and check the facts I post.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Not to throw cold water on your theory, but our current POTUS, has done exactly that. In fact the only thing the left can point to regarding "Russian interference" in the election, was supposedly, they used social media, to influence voters. Not that they have been able to produce one single voter, who was "influenced", the power of social media cannot be ignored.
I too am a huge proponent, of one on one, face to face, interactions, regarding any interactions, with those who I may disagree, in this day and age, the most vulnerable among us (specifically, the youth) rely almost exclusively, on social media. This forum, is an example of social media, and I push many people, that I meet to at least visit the site, even if they don't join.
I too, do not Facebook, Twitter, or any other popular social media, outlets, but I fully understand their influence.

That being said, to answer the OP question, I believe that we do need to "get our message out" in any form possible. My preferred method, is to let my government representatives, know exactly where I stand, not only on 2A issues but several others.
Our fight is going to be never ending. Our only hope, is to "de-indoctrinate" our youth, to try and stem the tide, to push them further left, and currently, the only proven way to accomplish that, is through social media. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Jusme wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:16 pm
I too am a huge proponent, of one on one, face to face, interactions, regarding any interactions, with those who I may disagree, in this day and age, the most vulnerable among us (specifically, the youth) rely almost exclusively, on social media. This forum, is an example of social media, and I push many people, that I meet to at least visit the site, even if they don't join.
I too, do not Facebook, Twitter, or any other popular social media, outlets, but I fully understand their influence.

That being said, to answer the OP question, I believe that we do need to "get our message out" in any form possible. My preferred method, is to let my government representatives, know exactly where I stand, not only on 2A issues but several others.
Our fight is going to be never ending. Our only hope, is to "de-indoctrinate" our youth, to try and stem the tide, to push them further left, and currently, the only proven way to accomplish that, is through social media. JMHO
This is why we struggle. Us older more conservative types stay away from where the young folks are. Social media such as this forum isn't going to reach the millennials. They won't come here on our own and we don't go to their places. As the greatest generation and boomers die out we are replaced by millennial tide eaters. We need to remember that they don't hate us, they don't ignore us intentionally, we are invisible to them because we don't exist in their world of social media, and Facebook. We can't change people if we aren't willing to reachout to them.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Liberty wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:35 pm This is why we struggle. Us older more conservative types stay away from where the young folks are. Social media such as this forum isn't going to reach the millennials. They won't come here on our own and we don't go to their places. As the greatest generation and boomers die out we are replaced by millennial tide eaters. We need to remember that they don't hate us, they don't ignore us intentionally, we are invisible to them because we don't exist in their world of social media, and Facebook. We can't change people if we aren't willing to reachout to them.
:iagree: I keep telling myself that my kidd’s do not intentionally ignore me, but I haven’t convinced myself yet. I have know clun how to find Facebook much less get on it. I have no desire.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Facebook is, like, for old people... :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

bbhack
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bbhack »

Using a trademark is probably fair use as parody. As bad as some parts of the DMCA are, filing a false DMCA complaint is actionable in a civil suit, and can be considered perjury.

https://blogs.lawyers.com/attorney/inte ... est-10363/
Attachments
DdpqhD5UQAAwFaH.jpg
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I guess the example for the logo was not the best. My other suggestions can be acted on by anyone. There are 300 million guns in the US. I don't know how many gun owners there are, though I'm sure there are statistics out there. I do know there are approx 70 million hunters, so I'd say there are far more than 70 million gun owners. That is a staggering demographic which if incited to say boycott a major bank that is anti gun. Or an insurance provider that refuses to write policies for gun related businesses. I realize responsible gun owners have better things to do that join protest marches, but we at some point have to fight fire with fire. We are facing serious threats to our ability to the right to bear arms and they will not give up.

bbhack
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bbhack »

Ridicule works if done effectively. I'm not an expert on that, but here is an example. This example is NOT aimed at the current villain. The purpose is to heap ridicule so that future nut jobs and psychos realize that they will receive the same treatment. This is not a good example, just an example.
nutter.jpg
Insignificant nobodies on social media are immune to ridicule because they are already ridiculous. Marxist style companies and high profile idiots are sensitive to it, but they are usually shielded because the social platforms are on their side. But if you have a talent for it, use it. The other side sure does.

Much fun has been made at Dick's expense. It's my fault if I don't amplify each one.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I would love to see lawsuits and any/everything else possible to work against the anti-gun crowd. I'd like to see them all bankrupted. If I'd been born rich instead of so good looking I'd be spending copious amounts toward that goal. I will participate in any way possible. I look forward to this happening.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”