Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Which format would you prefer for the 2010 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC?

Continue with shorter mini-clinics to increase the variety of courses available to participants.
57%
Offer longer clinics even though it will reduce the number of courses a participant can attend.
43%

Total votes: 21

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I am getting feedback from the instructors about this year's event and I also need input from people who participated in the 2009 TexasCHLforum Day. We are constantly trying to improve the event and the largest single problem we face is scheduling of clinics.

This was the first year we used the 45 min. mini-clinic format. Previously, we had a series of 1 1/2 hr. clinics that obviously gave instructors more time with students, but this format cuts down on the number of events people could attend. The mini-clinic concept focuses on a much narrower scope in terms of the subject matter being presented, while offering them three times during the day to increase the opportunity for people to register. Another benefit of the 45 minute format is that it allows people 15 minutes between classes.

Scheduling is always a trade-off between the times spent in individual clinics v. the student's ability to register for more events. We need your feedback on this subject, so please answer the attached poll. I know it's general in nature, but getting an idea which approach is favored by people attending would give us some guidance for planning next year's Forum Day.

Thanks,
Chas.

Piney

Re: Feedback: 2009 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC

Post by Piney »

Perhaps both-- short mini-clinics and some 2x that time. The instructor/topic could set the length as they determine, based on their topic and instructional style.

Quick comment on name tags-- I realize that some wouldn't care to have their screen names associated with their given names-- that's OK. Perhaps leave extra space on the name tags for folks to write their screen names if desired.

We have a fun time ! Robin says she can now shoot on the move and really be moving ! LOL

MrsFosforos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MrsFosforos »

I liked the format change.

Minor Suggestions:
1. It would help to show folks how to hold while they were drawn & waiting for their turn during 1:1 instruction down the line.

2. Ask instructors to use the same terminology for the intended commands: alert, threat, draw, fire etc.

3. We could have used more watering stations available throughout the day.

Positive comments:
-- The whole day was well organized and ran very smoothly.

-- There was a good balance of theory/instruction & hands on practice. Adult learners need to have shorter timelines with exposure to new information; we really can't learn (and retain) A LOT of new stuff at a time. We will retain more if we are taught new information in shorter segments. These mini clinics were perfect for that reason.

-- Having the plate rack available to shoot was a lot of fun (and not as intimidating as the texas star!).

-- I can't get over the WEALTH of experience you draw to the PSC. The idea that you offer that kind of exposure to that caliber of instruction for just the cost of lunch -- is really unbelievable.

That is what keeps bringing us back!! Thank you again!! We can't wait for the next time!

Y2bad4u

Post by Y2bad4u »

I agree with both. I throughly enjoyed the chance to experience various training, but I think that some classes should be longer and keep others short. I know that the defensive shotgun, shooting on the move, and cover and concealment were not long enough. Those definitely need to be longer. The other classes I think were scheduled well, to give us an idea of those topics and encourage us to seek more training. Of course that can be said with all the classes, and maybe there should just be longer classes in home defense for those that may never get to attend more training. I know that saturday sparked our interests to seek more training. Next year I will only take a few classes. I was greedy this year. Plus I didn't get to have much time on the star and plate rack. :txflag:

And maybe have our name tags with our forum names on them.
March 09 --paid online
8-08-09 --Completed CHL class
8-11-09 --App dropped at DPS in person.
8-25-09 --Processing APP
10-04-09 --App completed - License Issued.
10-08-09 --Plastic in hand

MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

It was all so great I can't imagine changing anything would make it better. The only solution to having longer instruction time while maximizing slots would be to make it a 2 day or 1 1/2 day event, but that's asking alot of all the gracious volunteers that make this possible to begin with, not to mention the club members' lost range availability.

Perhaps there could be three tiers instead of two; 45 minute mini-clinics, 1 hr 45 minute clinics, and 2 hr 45 minute super-clinics. I know it would have been great to get more instruction in the shotgun clinic.

Oh yeah, I'll second the additional water stations idea, and forum names on the tags.
Harry
NRA Endowment Life Member
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Skiprr »

MrsFosforos wrote:I liked the format change.

Minor Suggestions:
1. It would help to show folks how to hold while they were drawn & waiting for their turn during 1:1 instruction down the line.

2. Ask instructors to use the same terminology for the intended commands: alert, threat, draw, fire etc.
Excellent ideas!

So we were there in 2007 and 2009 and still haven't met? :???:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

MrsFosforos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MrsFosforos »

Skiprr wrote: So we were there in 2007 and 2009 and still haven't met? :???:
Did you have your son with you at the 2007 event? If you are who I'm thinking of, we sat & visited together the time there was a fashion show during lunch.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Looking back over my presentation I can see that I was able to get the pertinent information out, and had most of the relevant questions answered, but we could have easily filled another half hour with side questions and pictures that I have. Next year I will have more.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Carrots

Post by Carrots »

Comments and interest in this thread withdrawn.
Last edited by Carrots on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Carrots wrote:As a non attendee I might offer a couple of suggestions....
All of your collective efforts are clearly appreciated, and so whatever the format I will try to make the next one even if it means packing a book. :tiphat:
My suggestion, Carrots: don't bother.

Registrations for this year's event filled up quickly with people wanting to learn something new about firearms and their use, and to network with Forum members: new aquaintances or old friends. Folks traveled from all over Texas, many driving well over 400 miles.

If you feel you'd need to bring a book to pass the otherwise boring time, well then, brother, this may not be the event for you.

What you will need is one or more firearms, holster, mag carrier, gun belt, concealment garment, a willingess to learn, a few hundred rounds of ammo, and an eagerness to expend the latter in both instructional classes and optional tests of skill.

You will need sunscreen, Gatorade, and ammunition. You will not need Tolstoy, Faulkner, or even Garcia Marquez.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

Carrots

Post by Carrots »

Last edited by Carrots on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

My friend, you have issues.
Carrots wrote:...I was just asked for an opinion and I gave it.
Actually, no. You were not asked for your opinion.

Opinions were asked of those who attended the event.

Folks, have I been gone from the boards too long? Is this kind of weirdness common now?

My Good Lord...

Carrots

Post by Carrots »

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

Folks, as I told Charles, I was honored to be a part of Texas CHL Forum Day this year. It was great seeing El Gato, TraCoun, Skiprr, SRVA, Dave and everyone again. I look forward to doing it again in April. I also think Skiprr and I hung out long enough feed just about every mosquito at PSC. I had so much fun that I even caught myself wishing I'd let me wife talk me into moving to Pearland.

My only feedback is that I wish we had a bay in which to discuss/introduce defensive rifles/carbines just as we have a defensive shotgun event. That's likely a 90-minute event if we could do it at all. Still, I think it might be a useful thing for many people. OK, I'll admit it, I just want an excuse to use "evil black rifles."

Anyway, the Brotherhood of the Spiral Tube is alive and well on this forum and at PSC. It was great seeing and meeting you all. I can't wait to do it again. I'll try not to be involved in any more range fires between now and April. Later!
Last edited by G.C.Montgomery on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

big 54r

Post by big 54r »

^^^
I agree with G.C. Montgomery about a intro to defensive carbine 90 minute clinic, that would complete the firearms triad.

I also agree with y2bad4u in that mini's like shooting on the move and cover and concealment could be longer as could mini's like speed reloading and malfunction drills.

As it stands all the mini's are good because you can't get the type of instruction we had at the forum day for the price of a "Katz's" rueban and cold one anywhere else! :cheers2:

Obviously longer clinic's and mini's would mean more time demands on those who volunteer and organize such a great event and would be up to those folk's.
I thank all of you!

Return to “2009 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC”