The Forum will be down for a software upgrade/migration

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The Forum will be down for a software upgrade/migration

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Just so you know...I use an IPad Air most of the time and run the Mercury browser. The board constantly asks you to log in. To enter a post, log in, type the post, it asks you to log in again, before it returns to the thread it asks you to log in again. Almost every function requires log in before and after.

Obviously this is probably something to do with Mercury because Safari, so far, seems to work okay. I am running the latest OS and Mercury is up to date. No biggie though.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

ShootDontTalk wrote:Just so you know...I use an IPad Air most of the time and run the Mercury browser. The board constantly asks you to log in. To enter a post, log in, type the post, it asks you to log in again, before it returns to the thread it asks you to log in again. Almost every function requires log in before and after.

Obviously this is probably something to do with Mercury because Safari, so far, seems to work okay. I am running the latest OS and Mercury is up to date. No biggie though.
Check how Mercury deals with cookies, it could also be something to do with it's privacy controls as well.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Just running that now. It looks like it might be old cookies causing problems. I'll let you know if I get it to run properly.

At this point I'm almost certain it's a problem with Mercury.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Maxwell wrote:Hi Charles,

One minor complaint with the new board software. I liked to browse the "active topics" list in the previous version and now it is much more cumbersome.

Like I said, minor, but still an inconvenience.

Max
I looked for an extension that would let me move either or both the "New Posts" and "Active Topics" buttons to the menu as they were in Subsilver, but there's nothing available. I didn't look at the developer's board because I don't want to make any code hacks that make updating more difficult.

I'm sure we're not the only two people wanting that feature, so hopefully someone will create an extension.

Chas.

92f-fan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 92f-fan »

mojo84 wrote:Charles, In the other thread about the slow downs, it was mentioned how large this sites database has become and how preservation of the history is important. There may be a decent compromise and option that may help. I am not an forum expert so I may be barking up the wrong tree. I've noticed some forums seem to have an archive function. This allows the posts to be archived separate from the primary active database and even though new posts cannot be added, the old posts will still be available to search and view. You may have already considered this but I thought I would mention it just in case.
baldeagle wrote:I'm not sure why that would be necessary, mojo84. I maintain a board with 750,000 posts (over 1.1 million since inception but 300,000 have been pruned), and it's plenty responsive. I just rebuilt all 750,000 posts today in about an hour and a half after upgrading the server OS. Proper coding and database design will make a database of 1,000,000 posts quite responsive. You'd have to get into the tens of millions before responsiveness would become an issue. It just depends on the software.
Im also experiencing the site being slow. Click wait 3 or 4 seconds for anything. Im sure Charles and his team will get it straight.

I host multiple forums with a total of approx 5 million posts on a single modest server with many many other sites on it and they all run fine. The issue is the forum needs to be coded correctly and the number of queries per page needs to be reasonable. Make sure any attachments are stored in the file system and not the DB.
Most of these forums are running on LAMP with Mysql as the database, when you get to the millions of posts you HAVE to have FAST I/O which means FAST drives. There is no substitute.

In reading the closed slow thread - Vertbiz came across defensive. In looking at their website the "cart" doesn't appear to include SSD drives as an option.
Unlike Vertbiz Im a sole proprietor - no team - no one to share blame with - just many years of experience with enthusiast forums. And an interest and understanding that many people on the web move on if they have to wait more than a few seconds for your site.

Im not aware of forum software that lets you "archive" posts off to a separate database. Most of the time what you see as archive is simply OLD posts that dont get rendered when looking at new posts. They arent on a separate database.

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LikesShinyThings »

A little late to the game (and I admittedly didn't read all 5 pages of comments), but overall I like the changes. I haven't tried connecting with my (brand!) new android phone, but for browsing from my computer, it's really nice.

Thanks, Charles, for both the upgrade, and also for continuing to provide this forum.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

speed seems back to normal

cudos

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I noticed just this morning that the YouTube button no longer appears in the post editor, and the [youtube][/youtube] tags don't work. Is that deliberate, or merely an oversight? My browser is Chrome, and I had this Issue on both a MacBook Pro and an iPad Air.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I noticed just this morning that the YouTube button no longer appears in the post editor, and the [youtube][/youtube] tags don't work. Is that deliberate, or merely an oversight? My browser is Chrome, and I had this Issue on both a MacBook Pro and an iPad Air.
I thought I'd read something about new video tags, but I can't find it now. Maybe I'm thinking of a different site.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 7

Post by mojo84 »

I thought I read notary were needed. Will see if I can find it. I think it may be in a thread I started.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Charles started a new thread. Here it is. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79149
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

I really miss the alternate themes. I can't stand the default one. Otherwise, love the forum as always.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

Today I starting getting an error message when clicking on Active Topics. :headscratch

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
NRA Endowment Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

It has slowed down for me and I am getting errors also.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Me too.

Chas.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”