Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Post by MeMelYup »

Glockster wrote:Where would this fall into it - Town Green Park is a township owned park located in The Woodlands, and the sign prohibits "Weapons/Guns" within the park. I'm assuming that this isn't a violation of 30.06/30.07 as they don't have either of those signs or the language. And I'm assuming that they cannot by law simply ban weapons without the usual language that allows licensed carry? And if so, what is the best way to deal with this?
That sign has no effect on a licensed carrier.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

Add Coryell county to the list - http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Gatesv ... 76121.html

But here's what really bugs me about this sort of thing, beyond the obvious.

If my defense attorney shared offices with the judge and kept his records in spaces controlled by the judge's policies, I would have no doubt the prosecutor would raise all kinds of explosive ex parte objections that would stick like glue.

I would like to think the judge would be censured or impeached and the defense attorney disbarred.

But when I raise this issue the other way around, questioning the ex parte purity of a prosecutor billeted in what amounts to the judge's offices, it's just crazy old me raising straw arguments. Again.

Confusing, this world of ours. I keep looking for logic and that clouds my understanding.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 31

Post by puma guy »

[quote="treadlightly"]Add Coryell county to the list - http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Gatesv ... 76121.html

But here's what really bugs me about this sort of thing, beyond the obvious.

If my defense attorney shared offices with the judge and kept his records in spaces controlled by the judge's policies, I would have no doubt the prosecutor would raise all kinds of explosive ex parte objections that would stick like glue.

I would like to think the judge would be censured or impeached and the defense attorney disbarred.

But when I raise this issue the other way around, questioning the ex parte purity of a prosecutor billeted in what amounts to the judge's offices, it's just crazy old me raising straw arguments. Again.

Confusing, this world of ours. I keep looking for logic and that clouds my understanding.[/qu

IANAL I am always curious why official oppression doesn't apply to the individual who use their office to violate laws and usurp the rights of citizens.

" Sec. 39.03. OFFICIAL OPPRESSION. (a) A public servant acting under color of his office or employment commits an offense if he:

(1) intentionally subjects another to mistreatment or to arrest, detention, search, seizure, dispossession, assessment, or lien that he knows is unlawful;

(2) intentionally denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power, or immunity, knowing his conduct is unlawful;
"
Does the law not apply to politicians who use their office do anything they want, even when it's not legal?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Post by mojo84 »

Just received a notification Kendall County Courthouse has been posted. Very frustrating as the courts are on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The metal detectors are on the second floor as one exits the elevators and stairs. I reached out to a friend that is closely involved in the courthouse to find out what's up.

Update:
Well, from what I was told, the 30.06 and 30.07 signs are for the 2nd floor (where the courtrooms are located), 3rd floor (where the commissioners court meeting room is located) and the county clerk's office on the first floor.

Now to my question. Is the county clerk's office essential to the operation of the courts and is it valid to post it pursuant to 30.06 and 30.07?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I noticed on Saturday morning that the Harrison county courthouse has replaced their old 30.06 with new matching 30.06 and 30.07 signs.
NRA lifetime member

RedRaiderCHL
Posts in topic: 3

Re:

Post by RedRaiderCHL »

JohnWayne wrote:Texas Tech University in Lubbock probably has 30+ 30.06 signs on every road in to and through campus. They probably doubled the number of them in the past 12 months, too.

I called up the General Counsel office a couple months ago to let them know about it. I actually got someone who has a CHL and understood the uselessness of the signs. He said the intent of the University was to keep Billiy Bob from carrying shotguns openly in the gun rack in his pickup - and similar situations.

The GC office sent a letter to the President's office recommending that all of the signs be taken down and replaced with something else saying that guns are not allowed on University property (which isn't true, but at least it's an improvement). I have been playing phone tag with the Chief of Staff for the President's office for the past week to get some answers on this. I am hoping to finally get ahold of him Monday even if I have to sit around all day doing it.

I am sure they will try to feed me some bull, but we will see. I'll keep everyone posted.

It really irritates me that abuse/ignorance like this goes on on such a large scale.

Jeff
There are Texas Tech POLICE officers that have told the administration that and its not getting through to them. They dont understand that they cannot control the public streets and sidewalks from people carrying concealed.
Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

I saw on Texas3006.com that the Plano ISD administrative building is now posted. It's not a proper 30.06/30.07 sign, but rather one that states "Handguns Prohibited" and has the text of Section 46.03 (a)(1) in both English and Spanish. Is this building really off-limits by statute? Clearly it's not a school, but rather an office building.

(Photo courtesy of texas3006.com)

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

TrueFlog wrote:I saw on Texas3006.com that the Plano ISD administrative building is now posted. It's not a proper 30.06/30.07 sign, but rather one that states "Handguns Prohibited" and has the text of Section 46.03 (a)(1) in both English and Spanish. Is this building really off-limits by statute? Clearly it's not a school, but rather an office building.

(Photo courtesy of texas3006.com)
Report this to the AG. I notified the Elgin ISD, submitted form to AG and here. The ISDs seem to think all school property is a school.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Post by mojo84 »

Can anyone tell me if a County Clerk's office can be legitimately made off limits for carry? Is the County Clerk's office considered "essential to the operations" of the courtrooms?

From AG opinion.
Pursuant to Opinion KP-0047, it is only the courtrooms, and
those offices determined to be essential to their operations, from
which Hays County may prohibit concealed handguns without risk
of incurring a civil penalty under section 411.209 of the Government
Code.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jeff Barriault
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jeff Barriault »

Galveston County Health District
Environmental Services Building
9850-A Emmet F. Lowry Expressway
Texas City, TX 77591
IMG_2698.jpg
I forwarded a copy of Charles' complaint form to Galveston County Judge Mark Henry's office. I will follow up with a complaint to the TX AG's office on Monday if the sign is not removed.

On a side note, the sign has the old language "GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW)". Is this sign now invalid because the new language is "GOVERNMENT CODE (HANDGUN LICENSING LAW)"?

Jeff Barriault
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jeff Barriault »

Jeff Barriault wrote:Galveston County Health District
Environmental Services Building
9850-A Emmet F. Lowry Expressway
Texas City, TX 77591
IMG_2698.jpg
I forwarded a copy of Charles' complaint form to Galveston County Judge Mark Henry's office. I will follow up with a complaint to the TX AG's office on Monday if the sign is not removed.

On a side note, the sign has the old language "GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW)". Is this sign now invalid because the new language is "GOVERNMENT CODE (HANDGUN LICENSING LAW)"?
Wow, that was a prompt response. Kudos to Judge Henry!
Mark Henry wrote:Mr. Barriault:

Thank you for the email.

I've been directing these signs taken down since before the recent changes in the law. I'm a strong supporter of lawful concealed carry, I've even personally paid for CHL classes for county employees, about 50 so far.

Rest assured those signs (which got missed somehow) will be down Wednesday if they aren't already.

Thanks again for the notification.

Mark

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

,Great job glad to see the judge responded and is a supporter. I'm sure there are probably a lot of places where signs have been left due to negligence rather than by design. I call that a win.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

City of Forrest Hills has their civic center posted both 30.06 and 30.07. I complained to the city mayor and attorney. No response.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

spx74

Post by spx74 »

Just a follow up on my 11/ 2015 post on the Mesquite Police station; 30.06 & .07 signs are down now :thumbs2: :txflag:

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Burnet County is refusing to remove signs from Marble Falls Annex. The CA did at least send me a letter stating the building was too small to protect otherwise. Funny enough I enclosed the AGs response letter to Brazos County when I sent the initial complaint. Anyway, I have already submitted information to AG, including the City of Marble Falls, who never even responded to my initial complaint.

Why these officials think LTC holders are a danger to society is beyond me...of course the State does as well to an extent or the limitations wouldn't exist in the first place.

Let's hope for some clarification next session one way or the other. Also how is it legal to enforce an illegal sign? Doesn't that violate an oath somewhere?

How is it legal for a peace officer to enforce an illegal city or county "rule" ? If a licensed officer enforced a law they know is illegal, shouldn't they also share some responsibility?
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”