Suggestion, not a test......

Photo testing, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Suggestion, not a test......

Post by The Annoyed Man »

We post a lot of sections of TPC on these pages, and it can be a little bit of a pain to follow the sections, subsections, subs-subsections, etc., but here is a way to post code so that the sub and subsections are indented, making it easier to read.

The secret? Use nested list tags. "Nested" means tags inside of tags:

Code: Select all

top level 1[list]subsection 1[list]sub-subsection 1[/list]subsection 2[/list]top level 2
....which looks like this:
  • top level 1
    • subsection 1
      • sub-subsection 1
      subsection 2
    top level 2
I'll use TPC § 30.06 as an example:

Sec. 30.06.  TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN.  (a)  A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
[list](1)  carries a concealed handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
(2)  received notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden.[/list]
(b)  For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
(c)  In this section:
[list](1)  "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
(2)  "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).
(3)  "Written communication" means:
[list](A)  a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following:  "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or
(B)  a sign posted on the property that:
[list](i)  includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
(ii)  appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
(iii)  is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.[/list][/list][/list]
(d)  An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200, except that the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it is shown on the trial of the offense that, after entering the property, the license holder was personally given the notice by oral communication described by Subsection (b) and subsequently failed to depart.
(e)  It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
That formatting will look like this when applied:
  • Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
    • (1) carries a concealed handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
      (2) received notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden.
    (b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
    (c) In this section:
    • (1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
      (2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).
      (3) "Written communication" means:
      • (A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or
        (B) a sign posted on the property that:
        • (i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
          (ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
          (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
    (d) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200, except that the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it is shown on the trial of the offense that, after entering the property, the license holder was personally given the notice by oral communication described by Subsection (b) and subsequently failed to depart.
    (e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
Anyway, it's just a suggestion. It takes a little longer to post this way, but it is a lot easier to read once posted.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Suggestion, not a test......

Post by RoyGBiv »

Thanks for the tip. Looks a bit time consuming but will give it a try !

:tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM, no matter how you format this gobbledegook, after a few words I've no idea what in the world is being said.

TPC's are, at least for me, impenetrable.

Maybe I'm the only one here that can't make heads or tails of any TPC. (or maybe I'm the only one willing to admit it...)

If they were worded to be easily understood, I guess they wouldn't be TPC's.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:TAM, no matter how you format this gobbledegook, after a few words I've no idea what in the world is being said.

Maybe I'm the only one here that can't make heads or tails of any TPC. (or maybe I'm the only one willing to admit it...)

You gotta get your mind right. :rules:
NRA Endowment Member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I don't know why when you copy the book the indentions disappear. It does take longer but should be manageable. Or we could type.
Read Sec. 30.06. (pg. 25) If you're on the computer you should be able to download the CHL 16 (have it on my phone).
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

twomillenium wrote:I don't know why when you copy the book the indentions disappear. It does take longer but should be manageable. Or we could type.
Read Sec. 30.06. (pg. 25) If you're on the computer you should be able to download the CHL 16 (have it on my phone).
It's a different type of formatting in a PDF or word processor file than HTML.
NRA Endowment Member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

WildBill wrote:
twomillenium wrote:I don't know why when you copy the book the indentions disappear. It does take longer but should be manageable. Or we could type.
I believe your expertise because that is over my head. :lol::
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

twomillenium wrote:
WildBill wrote:
;-) I know much more about PDF than HTML.
NRA Endowment Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Okay, I must be missing something with the code. When posting, there's a "List" tag that seems to do the same thing. (It's above the text box next to the "Quote" and "Code" boxes. It indents the text, any number of levels, but I have to type the letter or number of the line/paragraph. There's also a "List-" tag, but I don't know what that does.

Chas.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Okay, I must be missing something with the code. When posting, there's a "List" tag that seems to do the same thing. (It's above the text box next to the "Quote" and "Code" boxes. It indents the text, any number of levels, but I have to type the letter or number of the line/paragraph. There's also a "List-" tag, but I don't know what that does.

Chas.
The plain List tag creates a bullet point list. The List= tag is use to create alpha/numeric/roman numeral... viewtopic.php?f=16&t=84091#p1078180

There used to be a WYSIWYG editor plugin for phpBB 2.x.x that made it somewhat easier to manage the list codes. Not sure if that mod made the transition to phpBB 3 though.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote:
Abraham wrote:TAM, no matter how you format this gobbledegook, after a few words I've no idea what in the world is being said.

And eat 50 eggs! :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mayor

Post by mayor »

I think i just passed a brain stone... :???:

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

puma guy wrote:
WildBill wrote:

And eat 50 eggs! :lol:
^^^^^^^^ That's right!

Most people think the 'CHL' in TexasCHLforum means (Concealed Handgun License). Nope! Cool Hand Luke....! ;-)
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

mayor wrote:I think i just passed a brain stone... :???:

Yup. :shock:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

twomillenium wrote:
WildBill wrote:
The reason is that HTML allows formatting tags not available to BB code, and you can only paste the plain text, but none of the formatting.

Here is the HTML for TPC § 30.06, copied from the actual page:

<p class="left"><a name="30.06"></a><a name="62140.157282"></a></p><p style="text-indent:7ex;" class="left">Sec. 30.06.  TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN.  (a)  A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:</p><p style="text-indent:13ex;" class="left">(1)  carries a concealed handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter <a target="new" href="http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/GetStatute.aspx?Code=GV&Value=411">411</a>, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and</p><p style="text-indent:13ex;" class="left">(2)  received notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden.</p><p style="text-indent:7ex;" class="left">(b)  For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.</p><p style="text-indent:7ex;" class="left">(c)  In this section:</p><p style="text-indent:13ex;" class="left">(1)  "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section <a target="new" href="http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/GetStatute.aspx?Code=PE&Value=30.05">30.05</a>(b).</p><p style="text-indent:13ex;" class="left">(2)  "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section <a target="new" href="http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/GetStatute.aspx?Code=PE&Value=46.035">46.035</a>(f).</p><p style="text-indent:13ex;" class="left">(3)  "Written communication" means:</p><p style="text-indent:19ex;" class="left">(A)  a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following:  "Pursuant to Section <a target="new" href="http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/GetStatute.aspx?Code=PE&Value=30.06">30.06</a>, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter <a target="new" href="http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/GetStatute.aspx?Code=GV&Value=411">411</a>, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or</p><p style="text-indent:19ex;" class="left">(B)  a sign posted on the property that:</p><p style="text-indent:25ex;" class="left">(i)  includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;</p><p style="text-indent:25ex;" class="left">(ii)  appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and</p><p style="text-indent:25ex;" class="left">(iii)  is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.</p><p style="text-indent:7ex;" class="left">(d)  An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200, except that the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it is shown on the trial of the offense that, after entering the property, the license holder was personally given the notice by oral communication described by Subsection (b) and subsequently failed to depart.</p><p style="text-indent:7ex;" class="left">(e)  It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section <a target="new" href="http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/GetStatute.aspx?Code=PE&Value=46.03">46.03</a> or <a target="new" href="http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/GetStatute.aspx?Code=PE&Value=46.035">46.035</a>.</p>
<p class="left">Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1261, Sec. 23, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.  Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 9.24, eff. Sept. 1, 1999;  Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1178, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.</p><p class="left">Amended by: </p><p style="text-indent:7ex;" class="left">Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 437 (H.B. <a target="new" href="http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/HB00910F.HTM">910</a>), Sec. 41, eff. January 1, 2016.</p><p style="text-indent:7ex;" class="left">Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 437 (H.B. <a target="new" href="http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/HB00910F.HTM">910</a>), Sec. 42, eff. January 1, 2016.</p><p style="text-indent:7ex;" class="left">Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 437 (H.B. <a target="new" href="http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/HB00910F.HTM">910</a>), Sec. 43, eff. January 1, 2016.</p>
You'll notice that the HTML has paragraph tags that contain style parameters which require an indent.....for example: "<p style="text-indent:13ex;" class="left">". The measurement of indent in that tag is the "13ex".

So when you copy the text to your clipboard and then paste in in here, you are ONLY pasting the plain text, and none of the underlying formatting information. THAT is why indenting and multiple spacing does not translate over when you copy and past from the TPC.....and that is why my suggestion in the opening post is useful. It provides a BB code workaround to obtain the formatting you couldn't copy over.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Test Area”