Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Man shoots self but doesn't realize it until 3 days later

Post by Keith B »

mayor wrote:
WTR wrote:
mayor wrote:
ELB wrote:That reminds of a story some years back of some construction worker/drug addict who took whatever his chemical of choice was, got all morose, and decided to kill himself with his nail gun. He passed out in the process, woke up the next day not remembering anything of the previous day, but had one heckuva headache. So he went to the ER, they took some X-rays, and he had about 9 or 10 nails embedded in his brain. On both sides. It was a very interesting picture.

Update: OK, it was 12 nails http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12425803/ns/h ... ails-head/
"Surgeons removed the nails with needle-nosed pliers and a drill..."

remind me not to have surgery performed in Portland, Oregon.
When I was in college I worked as a framer. We had a worker who accidentally shot himself through the knuckles from index finger to pinky. The ER didn't have any tools or a clue as how to remove the nail. It took two of us holding on to his hand and two of us pulling on the nail with vice-grips ( provided by us) to remove the nail.
:eek6 :eek6
My Father-In-Law has spent his entire adult life as a building contractor. He has never had a major incident with power tools and has used them for 60 years. He did have one minor event though; he was using a pneumatic framing nailer and it bounced off the board and fired a second nail. I have a photo of his hand with a 16-penny nail clean through his finger (won't post it here as it is a little gruesome). Luckily it glanced off the side of the bone and only went through the skin. Surprisingly it wasn't even that sore!!

However, I can tell you that it was sore enough he knew immediately when he did it even without seeing it. I think the guy must have been on Oxycoton or some other pain meds to not have felt anything from it for three days.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

WildBill wrote:
Keith B wrote:It's spring; make sure you check yourself for ticks and bullet holes.... :roll:
Excellent advice Keith B! I have NEVER checked myself for bullet holes. :shock:
I have...I have yet to find any but I have checked for them before...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

RogueUSMC wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Keith B wrote:It's spring; make sure you check yourself for ticks and bullet holes.... :roll:
Excellent advice Keith B! I have NEVER checked myself for bullet holes. :shock:
I have...I have yet to find any but I have checked for them before...lol
I see from your name that your have been in a different line of work than me. :patriot:
NRA Endowment Member

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

lol...it doesn't have to be combat per se...it can be Burbank on a Friday night.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

mayor

Post by mayor »

ELB wrote:
mayor wrote:
ELB wrote:That reminds of a story some years back of some construction worker/drug addict who took whatever his chemical of choice was, got all morose, and decided to kill himself with his nail gun. He passed out in the process, woke up the next day not remembering anything of the previous day, but had one heckuva headache. So he went to the ER, they took some X-rays, and he had about 9 or 10 nails embedded in his brain. On both sides. It was a very interesting picture.

Update: OK, it was 12 nails http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12425803/ns/h ... ails-head/

And a better method would be...?
not sure, but "needle-nosed pliers and a drill" sounds primitive.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

mayor wrote:
ELB wrote:
mayor wrote:

And a better method would be...?
not sure, but "needle-nosed pliers and a drill" sounds primitive.
Sometimes primitive works the best.

I am sure some doctor and biomedical engineering company could come up with something that cost $500K that probably wouldn't work any better.
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've seen a lot of people gunshot. I've NEVER seen someone who didn't know he'd been shot........unless he'd been shot in the head.

I have also lived with a severe back issue for years and had been dependent on pain meds for a long time, and never during that time was I ever so incapacitated by pain drugs that I would have not noticed being shot...............or have been so loaded to not have showered or changed clothes for 3 days.......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Years back when I was doing my clinicals for my paramedic certification had a guy come into the ER at Peter Smith, the guy said he'd been shot, sure enough he had a bullet hole to the pelvic area just missing his man part, of course doctor asked him when he'd been shot as the blood around the bullet wound was dry and caked on, guy told him friday and it was monday morning, doctor ask him why he waited so long to come to the hospital. Guy told the doctor "well it just started hurting this morning"
And just as an interesting side note bullet entered through the pubis area, turned north up through the abdomen it missed every major blood vessel, organ and managed to push past the large intestines and the small intestines and stopped just short of the stomach, did all that with out nicking or perforating any organ! For the curious it was a .38 lead round nose!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

The Annoyed Man

crazy2medic wrote:Years back when I was doing my clinicals for my paramedic certification had a guy come into the ER at Peter Smith, the guy said he'd been shot, sure enough he had a bullet hole to the pelvic area just missing his man part, of course doctor asked him when he'd been shot as the blood around the bullet wound was dry and caked on, guy told him friday and it was monday morning, doctor ask him why he waited so long to come to the hospital. Guy told the doctor "well it just started hurting this morning"
And just as an interesting side note bullet entered through the pubis area, turned north up through the abdomen it missed every major blood vessel, organ and managed to push past the large intestines and the small intestines and stopped just short of the stomach, did all that with out nicking or perforating any organ! For the curious it was a .38 lead round nose!
I've seen several people who were shot in the tootles. All were plainly (and negligently) self-inflicted. All were in considerable pain......."discomfort" being too mild a word...... :lol:

My low opinion of "Mexican Carry" is based on my observations of other people's pain. Anyone who wants to carry that way deserves EXACTLY whatever happens to him. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

ELB

Post by ELB »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I've seen a lot of people gunshot. I've NEVER seen someone who didn't know he'd been shot.........
I treated a guy who did not know he had shot himself in the thigh with .40 Gold Dot....until he saw the fully expanded bullet laying on the floor. He then noticed a small hole in his pants above the knee with a little blood. He said it didn't hurt at all and he was so embarrassed he wasn't going to tell anyone...until the swelling kicked in. Along with the pain. THEN he knew he had been shot.
USAF 1982-2005

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Back when I was a LEO, we got a call of a gunshot victim at the local hospital. Upon arrival we found a car at the emergency entrance with it's driver's door open. inside the "victim" told his story which included purchasing a 25 acp at a local pawn shop, loading it while driving and somehow shooting himself. Fortunately he was only a few blocks from the hospital. The bullet went in his arm at an upward angle, struck his shoulder joint changed direction and came out through his arm pit. It was interesting to see the x-ray, the bullet left tiny lead fragments that showed the entire path of the bullet. But he knew that he had been shot. :cryin He was also more than willing to allow us to confiscate his gun, since at the time it was illegal to carry one, loaded, in the front of the car. He never came to claim it, but the County Attorney figured he had learned his lesson, and didn't pursue charges.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:Years back when I was doing my clinicals for my paramedic certification had a guy come into the ER at Peter Smith, the guy said he'd been shot, sure enough he had a bullet hole to the pelvic area just missing his man part, of course doctor asked him when he'd been shot as the blood around the bullet wound was dry and caked on, guy told him friday and it was monday morning, doctor ask him why he waited so long to come to the hospital. Guy told the doctor "well it just started hurting this morning"
I've seen several people who were shot in the tootles. All were plainly (and negligently) self-inflicted. All were in considerable pain......."discomfort" being too mild a word...... :lol:

My low opinion of "Mexican Carry" is based on my observations of other people's pain. Anyone who wants to carry that way deserves EXACTLY whatever happens to him. :mrgreen:
This individual claimed he was walking down the road minding his own business when an unknown person shot him for an unknown reason, I have had that told to me more times than I can count
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott in Houston »

I can't believe how long this thread is. Who hasn't done this??? :lol:

The Annoyed Man

crazy2medic wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

This individual claimed he was walking down the road minding his own business when an unknown person shot him for an unknown reason, I have had that told to me more times than I can count
Yeah, the stories are priceless.

#TINVOWOOT

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Nothing wrong with Mexican carry. There are certain weapons I wont use it with. You just have to use your noggin.

Return to “Never Again!!”