How to report improper §30.06 signs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 8

Re: How to report improper §30.06 signs

Post by JALLEN »

I had a telephone call this morning from the AG's office acknowledging receipt of my fax and requesting further details. Very gratifying. After 45 years in San Diego, I am unaccustomed to this level of attentive prompt service from the government, very refreshing. They take these seriously and wish to act with all due promptitude.

I learned that there is a section on the AG's website, previously unnoticed by me, dealing with 30.06 complaints, near the bottom of the site. There are letters dealing with prior complaints and a form, which can be submitted online. I wish I had known, after hauling out my ancient fax machine, finding cable to hook it to phone lines etc. I printed the fax log to verify confirmed receipt. The last fax from this machine was 2011!

There is a good deal of detail needed. I was asked to provide evidence that the fax number I had used to send the complaint to the county was actually the county's number. I needed to provide info on what activities were in the building(s) I complained of.

The man who called was friendly, professional, businesslike and helpful. Astonishing!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 8

Post by JALLEN »

Today I received copies of letters the AG has sent to the County Judge here reporting my complaint and inviting any response the county cares to submit within the next ten days.

If I read the complaint numbering system correctly, there have been a couple of complaints filed about these two county facilities, and 100 in total statewide.

Standby.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Take Down Sicko »

:oops: :mad5 This may be the wrong place to post but they put up new 30.06 and 30.07 signs where there were none before at Half Price books on Westhiemer Rd.I went there last weekend, there were no signs(never had been) and today there they were.

sixer-sxt-3.7

Post by sixer-sxt-3.7 »

Take Down Sicko wrote::oops: :mad5 This may be the wrong place to post but they put up new 30.06 and 30.07 signs where there were none before at Half Price books on Westhiemer Rd.I went there last weekend, there were no signs(never had been) and today there they were.
I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. The Sugar Land location has been posted since open carry went into effect 2016, but they did not have a 30.06 posted before then.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

sixer-sxt-3.7 wrote:
Take Down Sicko wrote::oops: :mad5 This may be the wrong place to post but they put up new 30.06 and 30.07 signs where there were none before at Half Price books on Westhiemer Rd.I went there last weekend, there were no signs(never had been) and today there they were.
I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. The Sugar Land location has been posted since open carry went into effect 2016, but they did not have a 30.06 posted before then.

I go to Half Price Books often. Sometimes Sugarland and sometimes on Westhiemer. I also frequent Barns and Noble Books since wife and grandson are big readers. Barns and Noble is not posted so i go there more often than the other stores for books.

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bigtek »

I suggest you don't report improper §30.06 signs on nongovernmental property.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

sixer-sxt-3.7

Post by sixer-sxt-3.7 »

Take Down Sicko wrote:
sixer-sxt-3.7 wrote:

I go to Half Price Books often. Sometimes Sugarland and sometimes on Westhiemer. I also frequent Barns and Noble Books since wife and grandson are big readers. Barns and Noble is not posted so i go there more often than the other stores for books.
:thumbsup:

WildRose
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildRose »

bigtek wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:07 pm I suggest you don't report improper §30.06 signs on nongovernmental property.
Indeed, that would just be a waste of time and resources, simply ignore them and go about your business.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Take Down Sicko wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:41 pm
sixer-sxt-3.7 wrote:
I won't do business with any posted private entity or business unless it is absolutely unavoidable, if I have to I will voice my displeasure and tell the manager they can count on me never doing business again with them if I can find another business performing the same service that isn't posted.

Do it "politely" of course, but let them know why they are losing your business.

Hit them in the wallet and let them know you are doing it and why. I actually worked up a form letter to present to them so they can run it up the flag pole if the business is part of a franchise or bank branch.
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

The precinct 8 tax assessor collectors office in clear lake /south Houston has a 46.03 sign posted on only a side door. There is a court in the building but it is on the 2nd floor. There is no sign on the main entrance or the opposite end side door. The first floor is comprised of a tax assessor office and the county clerk's office.

Dgdcbj

jordanmills
Banned

Post by jordanmills »

Odinvalknir wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:02 am The precinct 8 tax assessor collectors office in clear lake /south Houston has a 46.03 sign posted on only a side door. There is a court in the building but it is on the 2nd floor. There is no sign on the main entrance or the opposite end side door. The first floor is comprised of a tax assessor office and the county clerk's office.

Dgdcbj
Harris County is kind of schizophrenic like that. Several buildings down town are posted in an apparently legal fashion (pursuant to TPC whatever, firearms are not permitted on the 6th and 10th floors or something like that). Other buildings that house multiple departments are illegally posted like that one. I'll be happy to do what I can to get evidence and documentation for you, like pictures of signs on other buildings, but I have avoided filing the complaint myself because there are reasons I don't want my name associated with this one.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oohrah »

WildRose wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:03 pm
bigtek wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:07 pm I suggest you don't report improper §30.06 signs on nongovernmental property.
Indeed, that would just be a waste of time and resources, simply ignore them and go about your business.
I agree, but 51% are different I've reported several businesses (via the TABC app) that were improperly posting 51% signs. They were taken down and replaced with BLUE signs, and no 30.06/7 was posted. Win-Win.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

oohrah wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:29 am
WildRose wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:03 pm
I agree, but 51% are different I've reported several businesses (via the TABC app) that were improperly posting 51% signs. They were taken down and replaced with BLUE signs, and no 30.06/7 was posted. Win-Win.
I actually ran into an improper 51% sign at a "sports club" in a motel in Lubbock. I made a point to check before entering and n one were observable. I checked again just inside the vestibule as I entered and saw none.

I was halfway through a good scotch when I notice a 51% sign over an exit across the room.

I politely pulled the Bartender over and told her she needed to explain to the owner that their signage was unlawful and got the heck out of there as quickly as I could.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oohrah »

WildRose wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:21 am

I politely pulled the Bartender over and told her she needed to explain to the owner that their signage was unlawful and got the heck out of there as quickly as I could.
Why was it improper? Was it actually licensed as a 51% place? If it is not a RED sign license, it is not illegal to carry there even if a sign is posted.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I don’t report any improper signage. If it is unlawful, I carry away.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”