Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Teen Injured When Rifle Round Goes Off

Post by Keith B »

Texas Teen Injured After Putting Flame to Live Rifle Round

To quote Forrest Gump, 'Mama says, stupid is as stupid does!'

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Texas- ... 74401.html
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Surgeon

Re: Teen Injured When Rifle Round Goes Off

Post by Surgeon »

Keith B wrote:Texas Teen Injured After Putting Flame to Live Rifle Round

To quote Forrest Gump, 'Mama says, stupid is as stupid does!'

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Texas- ... 74401.html
Not very well thought out. What did he think would happen?
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

And every July 4th there are multiple news stories of potential Darwin Award winners holding firecrackers in their hands while they go off--to see what would really happen, of course--or staring down tubes of double-petal starbursts while lighting them. By definition, a bell curve always has two sides...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

loktite

Post by loktite »

A Waco teenager suffered a gunshot wound to the head when he placed a flame to a live rifle round and it exploded.
He was using a cigarette lighter to heat the round when the explosion caused the bullet and casing to separate and the bullet penetrated his forehead and became lodged behind his eye.
I get the impression the round was not in a gun at the time.... so he suffered an idiotshot wound to the head.
NRA Endowment Member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

I am not an expert.
But I have personally burned hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammunition. 9mm, 7.62, 14.5mm, and larger and lots of US rounds as well, though mostly just 7.62 and .50
Not once, not ever, did a round "explode"
Fizzle?, pop? sure, "Explode" ? NO, not once.

While Im sure ANYthing is possible, I find it very difficult to believe a round heated with a lighter would cause the bullet to be projected with enough force to penetrate the human scull and said bullitt lodge behind the eye.

Strange, unlikely, uncommon things happen and perhaps this is one of them. But I hope the detectives investigating take a good look at all evidence and determine exactly what happened.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

ELB

Post by ELB »

E.Marquez wrote:I am not an expert.
But I have personally burned hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammunition. 9mm, 7.62, 14.5mm, and larger and lots of US rounds as well, though mostly just 7.62 and .50

While Im sure ANYthing is possible, I find it very difficult to believe a round heated with a lighter would cause the bullet to be projected with enough force to penetrate the human scull and said bullitt lodge behind the eye.

Strange, unlikely, uncommon things happen and perhaps this is one of them. But I hope the detectives investigating take a good look at all evidence and determine exactly what happened.
This ^^^. There's more to this story
USAF 1982-2005

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

ELB wrote:

This ^^^. There's more to this story
Honestly I dont think I read enough to say there IS more, Im just saying i read enough to say it should be looked at..HARD.
I suppose the why does not matter unless there was a malicious intent on party(s) that was the proximate cause of this injury.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

If anything, he may have been injured by the shell casing rather that the bullet. See video below.

Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Skiprr wrote:And every July 4th there are multiple news stories of potential Darwin Award winners holding firecrackers in their hands while they go off--to see what would really happen, of course--or staring down tubes of double-petal starbursts while lighting them. By definition, a bell curve always has two sides...
This is a tragic incident, but I'm still gonna say, "I told you so":

http://abc13.com/news/teen-may-be-blind ... t/1412816/

And I agree with E.Marquez: there's more to the story than a loose round actually launching a bullet with enough force to do the kind of damage described.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Exactly.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Skiprr wrote:
Skiprr wrote:And every July 4th there are multiple news stories of potential Darwin Award winners holding firecrackers in their hands while they go off--to see what would really happen, of course--or staring down tubes of double-petal starbursts while lighting them. By definition, a bell curve always has two sides...

And I agree with E.Marquez: there's more to the story than a loose round actually launching a bullet with enough force to do the kind of damage described.
:iagree: This is what the teenagers told the police, but they probably were trying to cover up something. At least that is my take on it. :tiphat:
I am sure that they will figure it out, but it won't make the news.
NRA Endowment Member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

WildBill wrote:
Skiprr wrote:

:iagree: This is what the teenagers told the police, but they probably were trying to cover up something. At least that is my take on it. :tiphat:
When they recover the projectile, it will be interesting to see if it has rifling marks on it.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

He's 13 yrs old, I will admit to doing some REALLY stupid things :shock: at that age. Hopefully he will recover with a new appreciation
of how things work in the real world, I did :oops: . As most of us probably have.
I do agree that there is more to this story.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Excaliber wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Skiprr wrote:

When they recover the projectile, it will be interesting to see if it has rifling marks on it.
:iagree: Want to place any bets? :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Exactly.

Amazing info!! Thanks for sharing.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “Never Again!!”