So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

TX: Houston, 16 YO girlfriend accidentally kills boyfriend with his new gun

Post by philip964 »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/polic ... girlfriend

She was doing something with the gun, when she shot and killed her boyfriend. Both apparently were inexperienced in handling a gun.

kvaca
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: Houston, 16 YO girlfriend accidentally kills boyfriend with his new gun

Post by kvaca »

If you're going to show your gun off to anyone, at the very least - the very least - make sure it's not loaded.

Went to a friend's house for a little get together once; a few of our other friends were there and our host
was moving his firearms to a more secure location as some of the guests were planning to spend the night.
One of them asked to see one of the firearms and the first thing my friend did was, pointing the gun away
from everyone else, pull out the magazine, eject the chambered round, and pull back the slide
3 or 4 times just to make sure. He then handed him the firearm and said, "Don't point it at anyone."

All the same, it's a shame this guy went out like that. I feel pretty bad for the little lady too. That's not something
she'll be forgetting anytime soon.

Everyone who owns a firearm should be sure to teach the people around them at least the very basics of firearm safety.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

:iagree:
What is the deal with 16-yr old girlfriend? She is still minor. Regardless, why the dead person handed over a loaded handgun to his girlfriend?! There is more to the story. It sounds like, she found his handgun and she was trying to scare him with it his own handgun. Never she knew that pistol was loaded and she shot him in the face negligently. :grumble :grumble
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Beiruty wrote::iagree:
What is the deal with 16-yr old girlfriend? She is still minor. Regardless, why the dead person handed over a loaded handgun to his girlfriend?! There is more to the story. It sounds like, she found his handgun and she was trying to scare him with it his own handgun. Never she knew that pistol was loaded and she shot him in the face negligently. :grumble :grumble
Either that is a complete guess based on NO facts at all or you read/ viewed a news article, police report much different than I...... :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch

You seem in disbelief someone might hand a loaded weapon to another :headscratch Even though Im sure you know it happens many times a day (second?) Even though people bring "unloaded" weapons in to gun stores all the time that eject a round or fire a shot, Even though "professionals" and amateurs alike shoot themselves, with unloaded weapons in great numbers every year.
So did you find a report that leads you to your speculation? If so please post the link, I'd like to read it...
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

E.Marquez wrote:
Either that is a complete guess based on NO facts at all or you read/ viewed a news article, police report much different than I...... :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch

You seem in disbelief someone might hand a loaded weapon to another :headscratch Even though Im sure you know it happens many times a day (second?) Even though people bring "unloaded" weapons in to gun stores all the time that eject a round or fire a shot, Even though "professionals" and amateurs alike shoot themselves, with unloaded weapons in great numbers every year.
So did you find a report that leads you to your speculation? If so please post the link, I'd like to read it...
Marquez, I am speculating based on my immagination. However, the young man seems not-well trained in firearms, that is also another sepculation on my part.

All in all, I could never emphasise enough the importance of safety training and more training. Safety first, Marksmanship is second. Self-Defense tactics using firearms is third. Again, everyone should be trained in handling firearms at the school-level, this way you save lives. Guns are here to stay, teach each new teen of the next generation how to handle firearms safely. It is just a recommendation to consider.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

E.Marquez wrote:

I do not know of anyone that has been shot with an unloaded gun. Clubbed maybe, but not shot. However, there are innumerable stories of people who have been shot with guns that were thought to unloaded. Rule 6. Always - Treat all guns as if they were loaded .
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'd like to know how old the boyfriend was, and if he was lawfully allowed to own a pistol. Unfortunately, I can't get the link to load.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TexasSix

Post by TexasSix »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I'd like to know how old the boyfriend was, and if he was lawfully allowed to own a pistol. Unfortunately, I can't get the link to load.
Excerpt Copied from first paragraph in article.....

"HOUSTON - A teenager died early Friday morning after what police said was an accidental shooting in southeast Houston.

Friends and family members gathered outside the home of Jacob Lara in the 11200 block of Sageland Drive near Beltway 8, just hours after Houston police said he was accidentally shot to death by his girlfriend.

"It's my understanding this was an accidental discharge. I don't think these individuals had experience with guns and as far as we we can tell, there is no evidence there was any argument any fighting of any kind," Sgt. Hector Garcia of the HPD Homicide Division said.

Detectives believe that Lara, 19, had recently purchased the handgun."
DVC Gun Control is being able to hit your Target!!

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I wonder from whom did he purchase it.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

mojo84 wrote:I wonder from whom did he purchase it.
Likely private sale. 18 and over OK in Texas.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

" The 16-year-old apparently was trying to latch the safety lock when the gun went off, hitting Lara in the face."

This was what was reported. But I'm going to say this is how the wording should have been:

The 16-year old apparently had the gun pointed at Lara's face when she moved the safety to the down position and pulled the trigger on the loaded gun.

dlh

Post by dlh »

Let's see--Rule No. 1....fail....

Rule No. 2----fail....

Neither of these teenagers knew the basic rules. More than sad.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

When I read,
The 16-year-old apparently was trying to latch the safety lock when the gun went off, hitting Lara in the face.
I envisioned trying to install a trigger lock. We may never know for sure.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

dlh wrote:Let's see--Rule No. 1....fail....

Rule No. 2----fail....

Neither of these teenagers knew the basic rules. More than sad.
How does one know something until taught?
How would you know to learn about something until taught?

My point being you dont know what you dont know... This "accident" unless proven intentional was a direct result of inaction by those who had a responsibility to teach both of those young people what a gun is, capable of, why it demands respect and training and of course the rules for handling / using them safely
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “Never Again!!”