TX: Houston, 16 YO girlfriend accidentally kills boyfriend with his new gun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

JerryK
Posts in topic: 3

Re: TX: Houston, 16 YO girlfriend accidentally kills boyfriend with his new gun

Post by JerryK »

#1 This is a tragedy!
#2 There are 3 sides to every story! Sadly in this case only two!!!
#3 Firearms are dangerous and must be approached as such!
#4 Darwin will knock at the door at the most unexpected time!
#5 This was a 'negligent discharge' not an 'accidental discharge' as described but the investigator!
#6 Don't ever hand someone a loaded firearm, much less a 16 Year old with no training in firearm safety!
Last edited by JerryK on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Middle Age Russ »

When the potential risks can be life or limb, a prudent person does not make assumptions and errs on the side of caution. I pray for God's peace and comfort to the young lady and young Mr. Lara's other loved ones.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

A guy who apparently shot regularly at the gun range once asked me if I wanted to see his handgun I was interested in. He handed it to me and as I, having it pointed in a proper direction, racked the slide to see if it was loaded, he told me, "I never keep my guns loaded." As the round ejected I just looked at him. I didn't tell him the thoughts in my head but I sure wanted to.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

JerryK

Post by JerryK »

I own 2 types of guns, those that are loaded and in a holster and those that have chamber flags in them.
If it doesn't have a yellow chamber flag it is LOADED.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

You don't have to be untrained and inexperienced to do something foolish.

Shortly before we moved here from Coronado, a newly badged SEAL, having graduated from training that very day, was trying to impress a new friend of the female persuasion. They went back to his dwelling, where he decided to show her his pistol. She was frightened, but he assured her it was safe. To reassure her, he put the muzzle to his temple and pulled the trigger. It wasn't safe, and made a very bad impression.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

JerryK

Post by JerryK »

See #4 above

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

16yo girl and 19yo man obviously they weren't using sound judgment in other areas of thier life.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

suthdj wrote:16yo girl and 19yo man obviously they weren't using sound judgment in other areas of thier life.
How so? I started dating my wife when she was 16 and I was 19. What were they not doing that was unsound?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

lol...Keith said, "I resemble that remark."...lol.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

RogueUSMC wrote:lol...Keith said, "I resemble that remark."...lol.
Yep, and my wife (then girlfriend) shot my pistols numerous times, and never shot me. However, over the next 37 years she has probably wanted to a few times. :mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Keith B wrote:
suthdj wrote:16yo girl and 19yo man obviously they weren't using sound judgment in other areas of thier life.
How so? I started dating my wife when she was 16 and I was 19. What were they not doing that was unsound?
All depends on where you draw tbe line 3 yrs difference is nothing so should we let a 13 yo date a 10yo. Simply put he was an adult she was a minor. My wife is 8 yrs younger then me I sure would not have dated her until she was an adult. Luck would have it she was 29 when i met her.
21-Apr-09 filed online

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Sport Coach wrote:A guy who apparently shot regularly at the gun range once asked me if I wanted to see his handgun I was interested in. He handed it to me and as I, having it pointed in a proper direction, racked the slide to see if it was loaded, he told me, "I never keep my guns loaded." As the round ejected I just looked at him. I didn't tell him the thoughts in my head but I sure wanted to.
Perfect example of why you always treat a gun like it's loaded. Good thing you did!
JALLEN wrote:You don't have to be untrained and inexperienced to do something foolish.

Shortly before we moved here from Coronado, a newly badged SEAL, having graduated from training that very day, was trying to impress a new friend of the female persuasion. They went back to his dwelling, where he decided to show her his pistol. She was frightened, but he assured her it was safe. To reassure her, he put the muzzle to his temple and pulled the trigger. It wasn't safe, and made a very bad impression.
I bet that young lady was horrified. Sad way to end a young life.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

suthdj wrote:
Keith B wrote:
All depends on where you draw tbe line 3 yrs difference is nothing so should we let a 13 yo date a 10yo. Simply put he was an adult she was a minor. My wife is 8 yrs younger then me I sure would not have dated her until she was an adult. Luck would have it she was 29 when i met her.
It all depends on the individual situation, and the individuals IN the situation. I was not allowed to date her until I had been 'checked out' by her parents. They didn't know me or my family, but her Mom talked to a neighbor lady who was a family friend and had worked with my Mom for over 25 years (before I was born). She reassured her that I was a good person with good moral standing.

Bottom line, you can't say that it's not 'sound judgement' with a mature and trustworthy 16 year old and a mature 19 year old who has a solid job and is an upstanding person in their community. And trying to compare it to a 13 year old and 10 year old 'dating' is not even in the mix. they shouldn't be 'dating' at those ages anyway.
Keith

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Keith B wrote:
suthdj wrote:
Keith B wrote:
It all depends on the individual situation, and the individuals IN the situation. I was not allowed to date her until I had been 'checked out' by her parents. They didn't know me or my family, but her Mom talked to a neighbor lady who was a family friend and had worked with my Mom for over 25 years (before I was born). She reassured her that I was a good person with good moral standing.

Bottom line, you can't say that it's not 'sound judgement' with a mature and trustworthy 16 year old and a mature 19 year old who has a solid job and is an upstanding person in their community. And trying to compare it to a 13 year old and 10 year old 'dating' is not even in the mix. they shouldn't be 'dating' at those ages anyway.
I will agree every situation is different. When i was growing up the phrase "15 will get you 20". Clearly meaning you dont mess with minors, as a point of reference I am 50.
21-Apr-09 filed online

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

suthdj wrote: I will agree every situation is different. When i was growing up the phrase "15 will get you 20". Clearly meaning you dont mess with minors, as a point of reference I am 50.
I am 56. We had the same saying. However, she was only a couple of months from being 17, so was not a young 16 year old (or 13 or 10). Still, I had to earn the trust of my in-laws. We had a 10 PM curfew on weeknights and an 11 PM curfew on weekends. Most time we were back at her house prior to 8 PM and 10 PM respectively watching television. It was about 6-7 months before the curfew got extended on weekends, and that was only because she worked at a drug store in the pharmacy and would not get off until 8 or 9 on Friday or Saturday night. That allowed us to get to the movies for the late show and then grab a quick bite afterwards before midnight. Plus, her Mom was a good cook, so I liked going back over and hanging out for the food!! :drool:
Keith

Return to “Never Again!!”