TX: Houston, 16 YO girlfriend accidentally kills boyfriend with his new gun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TX: Houston, 16 YO girlfriend accidentally kills boyfriend with his new gun

Post by JALLEN »

vjallen75 wrote:
Sport Coach wrote:A guy who apparently shot regularly at the gun range once asked me if I wanted to see his handgun I was interested in. He handed it to me and as I, having it pointed in a proper direction, racked the slide to see if it was loaded, he told me, "I never keep my guns loaded." As the round ejected I just looked at him. I didn't tell him the thoughts in my head but I sure wanted to.
Perfect example of why you always treat a gun like it's loaded. Good thing you did!
JALLEN wrote:You don't have to be untrained and inexperienced to do something foolish.

Shortly before we moved here from Coronado, a newly badged SEAL, having graduated from training that very day, was trying to impress a new friend of the female persuasion. They went back to his dwelling, where he decided to show her his pistol. She was frightened, but he assured her it was safe. To reassure her, he put the muzzle to his temple and pulled the trigger. It wasn't safe, and made a very bad impression.
I bet that young lady was horrified. Sad way to end a young life.
Yes, especially appalling for a young man who had had more firearms training and experience in the last year than most of us have in a lifetime.

At 23 yo, and in supurb physical condition, I only hope they were able to harvest his lungs for transolant patients.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Re: TX: Houston, 16 YO girlfriend accidentally kills boyfriend with his new gun

Post by Keith B »

JALLEN wrote:
vjallen75 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:You don't have to be untrained and inexperienced to do something foolish.

Shortly before we moved here from Coronado, a newly badged SEAL, having graduated from training that very day, was trying to impress a new friend of the female persuasion. They went back to his dwelling, where he decided to show her his pistol. She was frightened, but he assured her it was safe. To reassure her, he put the muzzle to his temple and pulled the trigger. It wasn't safe, and made a very bad impression.
I bet that young lady was horrified. Sad way to end a young life.
Yes, especially appalling for a young man who had had more firearms training and experience in the last year than most of us have in a lifetime.

At 23 yo, and in supurb physical condition, I only hope they were able to harvest his lungs for transolant patients.
Many times it boils down to complacency. You become so used to having a gun around you forget how dangerous some acts are. This is one of the biggest killers of pilots in that they are so used to just hoping in the plane and going through a checklist, they think they can do it in their head, get sidetracked, and forget to do something or just assume it is OK and move on. Will end up eventually biting you in the backside almost every time.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Never Again!!”