Seatbelt Ticket

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Seatbelt Ticket

Post by treadlightly »

TresHuevos wrote:I always wear my seatbelt and insist that those riding in my truck do the same but it makes me chuckle that I can open my garage and take off on a motorcycle without a helmet and that act is completely within the law.
My favorite argument against helmet law. The cost to society from head injuries in cars far surpasses that from motorcycle accidents. You're in a steel box with unyielding structures right by your noggin. Even requiring bicycle helmets in cars would save lives (and IQ) and money.

Of course, I'm called silly things for suggesting something as looney as wearing a helmet in a car. But race drivers do, and if you were in a head-on accident, would you refuse a trip back in a time machine to put on a helmet?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

It was always my understanding the Government was supposed to make laws the keep you from hurting me and me from hurting you. I promise you if I have a wreck I can't fit through the windshield so there is no way I am coming into your car crushing you to death. :mrgreen: Go figure.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WTR »

carlson1 wrote:It was always my understanding the Government was supposed to make laws the keep you from hurting me and me from hurting you. I promise you if I have a wreck I can't fit through the windshield so there is no way I am coming into your car crushing you to death. :mrgreen: Go figure.
When I was young and dumb I had too many beers at the Chicken one night. On my way home I took a left too sharp and went skidding on the bench seat ending up on the passenger side of my P/U. I had a 3/4 ton GMC with a granny low M 465. The truck just kept on chugging along with no one behind the wheel. Fortunately, I lived in the country so I just went chugging through an open field. Glad I didn't do that in a populated area.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

WTR wrote:
carlson1 wrote:It was always my understanding the Government was supposed to make laws the keep you from hurting me and me from hurting you. I promise you if I have a wreck I can't fit through the windshield so there is no way I am coming into your car crushing you to death. :mrgreen: Go figure.
When I was young and dumb I had too many beers at the Chicken one night. On my way home I took a left too sharp and went skidding on the bench seat ending up on the passenger side of my P/U. I had a 3/4 ton GMC with a granny low M 465. The truck just kept on chugging along with no one behind the wheel. Fortunately, I lived in the country so I just went chugging through an open field. Glad I didn't do that in a populated area.
:smilelol5:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

WTR wrote:

Yeah I had a 74 3/4 ton Chevy when I was a lad, same 4 speed, I remember many sharp turns, rough roads etc, combined with slick vinyl, that would cause me to have to scramble to regain the driver's side of the seat, while hoping not to take out too many mailboxes. Ahh... the good old days! :smilelol5:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

My dad worked for Smith County Sheriff's Office for 32 years. The last 8 he was the Chief Deputy. Smith County is not that large and back in 1977 everyone knew everyone.

I was stopped by DPS for speeding doing 77 in 55. I had a 1972 3/4 ton truck. I felt a little entitlement since the Trooper knew my dad and me. NOPE! First ticket and all I heard for months from my dad was, "77 in 1977 would you like your keys back?"

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

treadlightly wrote:
TresHuevos wrote:I always wear my seatbelt and insist that those riding in my truck do the same but it makes me chuckle that I can open my garage and take off on a motorcycle without a helmet and that act is completely within the law.
My favorite argument against helmet law. The cost to society from head injuries in cars far surpasses that from motorcycle accidents. You're in a steel box with unyielding structures right by your noggin. Even requiring bicycle helmets in cars would save lives (and IQ) and money.

Of course, I'm called silly things for suggesting something as looney as wearing a helmet in a car. But race drivers do, and if you were in a head-on accident, would you refuse a trip back in a time machine to put on a helmet?
Yes we do! There are a *lot* of things to hit your head on....all of the bars surrounding the head are padded. We run 6-point harnesses, racing seats <---- talk to a manufacturer (i.e. - Racetech from NZ) of these seats, they can go on for days about all of the merits....it's one thing to have a collision but then you do not want to have *another* collision with your seat - everything is fitted. I can attest to having the right gear - I hit the wall a few months ago while testing. I'm not going to beat up on anyone about the merits of wearing a seatbelt other than to say that when you are racing and/or performance driving you need to be in your seat, properly - it's amazing how much energy you waste trying to hold yourself *in* your seat if you don't have the right setup. :tiphat:
TA2-BuckledUp.JPG

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

PUCKER wrote:Yes we do! There are a *lot* of things to hit your head on....all of the bars surrounding the head are padded. We run 6-point harnesses, racing seats <---- talk to a manufacturer (i.e. - Racetech from NZ) of these seats, they can go on for days about all of the merits....it's one thing to have a collision but then you do not want to have *another* collision with your seat - everything is fitted. I can attest to having the right gear - I hit the wall a few months ago while testing. I'm not going to beat up on anyone about the merits of wearing a seatbelt other than to say that when you are racing and/or performance driving you need to be in your seat, properly - it's amazing how much energy you waste trying to hold yourself *in* your seat if you don't have the right setup. :tiphat:
TA2-BuckledUp.JPG
I should have included my own philosophy on motorcycle helmets - I wouldn't ride ten feet without one. In terms of minute-by-minute threat, eye protection is even more important.

I've never been competitive. My early days on motorcycles, through about age 40, included enduro and hare scrambles racing. Maybe a supercrosser would look down his nose at such mild events, but it's still racing and a highly recommendable source of good times.

Of course speed isn't the only thing that makes racing what it is. I've had a little success in sail regattas. Amazing how intense the competition and complex the tactics can be at eight knots.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

treadlightly wrote:
Of course speed isn't the only thing that makes racing what it is. I've had a little success in sail regattas. Amazing how intense the competition and complex the tactics can be at eight knots.
Tactics!
Getting the Club handicapper liquored up before measurement was the best part of mixed fleet club racing!
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Anyone who doesn't wear their seatbelts 100% of the time should watch
some of those Saudi Arabian drifters (doing high speed swerving in vehicles) crashing.

Now imagine yourself as one of those humans who get thrown out of their
vehicles, fly 100 feet in the air, and land with a definite THUD on the pavement.

You may be a good driver, but there's bad ones amongst us who could make you
the next person thrown from their vehicle and leaving your loved ones to miss you. :-(

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

steveincowtown wrote:
rotor wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:I always comment about the seatbelt law being the beginning of the nanny state...lol. I wear one and always have for the most part but...

...it was the first law that basically protected you from yourself. Before that, laws were to protect society from you...
Maybe the seatbelt law saves society a huge amount of money after you become a vegetative state after an accident when you are not wearing a seatbelt. I really would have no problem with people not wearing a seatbelt or a helmet if biking as long as they and only they paid their medical bills and society didn't get stuck with the bills. So is it a nanny state beginning or a cost saver for society? Incidentally, seatbelts do save lives.
Why are we so hung up though on confessing our sins and telling about all of these wonderful LEO encounters? I personally don't remember such friendly stops in my youth in California where I could swear the cops were former Gestapo agents. It was California though.
I wear a seat belt religiously, but wouldnt be a burden on soceity if the unthinkable happened. I have health insurance.

Using that logic, anyone who chooses not to carry health insurance is a burden to society and the government needs to regulate being over weight, drinking, smoking, skydiving, being a private pilot, etc.

I don't need big brother telling me what to do. I have it covered.
Or the government could just mandate that everyone carry health insurance or pay a fine. Oh wait.....

rotor

Post by rotor »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:
rotor wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:I always comment about the seatbelt law being the beginning of the nanny state...lol. I wear one and always have for the most part but...

...it was the first law that basically protected you from yourself. Before that, laws were to protect society from you...
Maybe the seatbelt law saves society a huge amount of money after you become a vegetative state after an accident when you are not wearing a seatbelt. I really would have no problem with people not wearing a seatbelt or a helmet if biking as long as they and only they paid their medical bills and society didn't get stuck with the bills. So is it a nanny state beginning or a cost saver for society? Incidentally, seatbelts do save lives.
Why are we so hung up though on confessing our sins and telling about all of these wonderful LEO encounters? I personally don't remember such friendly stops in my youth in California where I could swear the cops were former Gestapo agents. It was California though.
I wear a seat belt religiously, but wouldnt be a burden on soceity if the unthinkable happened. I have health insurance.

Using that logic, anyone who chooses not to carry health insurance is a burden to society and the government needs to regulate being over weight, drinking, smoking, skydiving, being a private pilot, etc.

I don't need big brother telling me what to do. I have it covered.
Or the government could just mandate that everyone carry health insurance or pay a fine. Oh wait.....
Please don't bring up Obamacare. Come January I don't know what I will do for insurance for the wife. Everyone is pulling out of the market where I live. What's left is BC hmo and the local hospital doesn't take it and there are no exceptions for going out of network. I can only hope that someday Obama's family has to try to use Obamacare if it is still here and they find out that an insurance card doesn't mean care. Of course, we are just peons and not part of the monarchy.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WTR »

I always comment about the seatbelt law being the beginning of the nanny state...lol.

No, the fist laws of the nanny State were those that mandated that the public in general had to provide food, shelter and healthcare for those who did not provide those services for themselves. There always exception which I am willing to provide for.....children, disabled vets or any other innocent member of society.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Back in the early '80s, seat belts were not mandatory and I never wore mine. One day, I picked up a buddy of mine at the airport, who was a NASA astronaut. When he got in the car, he immediately put on his seatbelt without even thinking. I thought, this guy knows something I don't - and I have worn a seatbelt ever since.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Mel

Post by Mel »

I've had seat belts (and used them religiously) in every vehicle I've ever owned, including my 1941 Chevy (in 1958) and my 1949 Plymouth (in 1959).
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”