Situational Awareness

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
_Dire_Wolf
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Situational Awareness

Post by _Dire_Wolf »

Thanks for the replies. I will be looking at all the article posted during this coming week. I'm once again impressed with this website. My LTC class instructor made us write this address down as a great place for help or to ask questions and he was right.

snorri

Post by snorri »

srothstein wrote:I would suggest taking some flying lessons. One of the things they will teach you is to make a constant scan of the sky and your instruments. That is probably one of the best exercises I can think of to improve your habits in developing situational awareness.
:thumbs2: Fewer speeding tickets is just icing on the cake.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

snorri wrote:
srothstein wrote:I would suggest taking some flying lessons. One of the things they will teach you is to make a constant scan of the sky and your instruments. That is probably one of the best exercises I can think of to improve your habits in developing situational awareness.
:thumbs2: Fewer speeding tickets is just icing on the cake.
I'm sure the FAA would like the income, but just where would their enforcers "pull you over"? :evil2:
(or did you mean terrestrial speeding tickets?)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

OlBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OlBill »

_Dire_Wolf wrote:Hi everyone. I'm new to CC and want to know if anyone has any good places to find ways to improve my SA skills. Any books, websites, videos would be great. Thanks for the help!
Leadership and Training for the Fight - Paul Howe

Anything written or on video by Kelly McCann / Jim Grover.

Both Gunfighters of the first order.

snorri

Post by snorri »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:I'm sure the FAA would like the income, but just where would their enforcers "pull you over"? :evil2:
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I thought Maverick and Goose said "two meters, no one and a half". that looks more like one and a half feet. ;-)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I believe that more often than not people who encounter bad situations see what is going on and don't respect the situation for what it is. Call it a fear of overreacting, looking paranoid, etc.; we have been trained that we are gun toting weirdos if we are overtly skeptical of certain situations. I would say that when your hair stands up on the back of your neck, don't attempt to rationalize the situation...pay and leave. Work it out later.

A few years ago I was working late hours in Las Colinas, which is really part of Irving, Texas. I will go ahead and say that it is easy to find yourself in a not so great area when in Irving.

So I got off around midnight and needed to stop at CVS for some OTC medication. The nearest 24hr CVS was at the intersection of 183 and Story rd.

I walked in and immediately heard a couple arguing, no biggie, couples spat. There was some kids loading a cart with beer which was being pushed by an older, legal to buy beer, friend; ok.

I got what I needed and went and got in a short line at the register. As I got to the cashier, three tall men walked into the store dressed in "urban" attire. It was almost as if they flowed into the store and immediately fanned out in three directions.

Everything stopped, no more arguing, shuffling, or shopping. It felt like the air was sucked out of the place. The loudest sound was the snick of my safety coming off on my p938 in my pocket. I looked the clerk in the eye and mumbled "sorry" and left without the meds.

Next day my buddy at work told me about the armed robbery at the CVS. I felt ill, actually nautious.

When your intuitions are screaming at you, listen to them.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

This was by far my "closest call", ever. It still freaks me out to think about it. It is very vivid in my memory.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

surferdaddy wrote:I believe that more often than not people who encounter bad situations see what is going on and don't respect the situation for what it is. Call it a fear of overreacting, looking paranoid, etc.; we have been trained that we are gun toting weirdos if we are overtly skeptical of certain situations. I would say that when your hair stands up on the back of your neck, don't attempt to rationalize the situation...pay and leave. Work it out later.

A few years ago I was working late hours in Las Colinas, which is really part of Irving, Texas. I will go ahead and say that it is easy to find yourself in a not so great area when in Irving.

So I got off around midnight and needed to stop at CVS for some OTC medication. The nearest 24hr CVS was at the intersection of 183 and Story rd.

I walked in and immediately heard a couple arguing, no biggie, couples spat. There was some kids loading a cart with beer which was being pushed by an older, legal to buy beer, friend; ok.

I got what I needed and went and got in a short line at the register. As I got to the cashier, three tall men walked into the store dressed in "urban" attire. It was almost as if they flowed into the store and immediately fanned out in three directions.

Everything stopped, no more arguing, shuffling, or shopping. It felt like the air was sucked out of the place. The loudest sound was the snick of my safety coming off on my p938 in my pocket. I looked the clerk in the eye and mumbled "sorry" and left without the meds.

Next day my buddy at work told me about the armed robbery at the CVS. I felt ill, actually nautious.

When your intuitions are screaming at you, listen to them.

Surfer

:iagree:

We called it that "feeling that something's hinky", when I was a LEO.

I preach to my wife and kids all the time to slow down, look around, and analyze wherever you are going. It's just second nature for me to scan the parking lots, of stores, park where I can see as much of the area as possible, look inside before going in, and trusting that feeling. I have pulled into a parking lot, and immediately pulled back out, because I saw what looked like a potentially confrontational group of people. My wife didn't see them, and thought I had lost my mind, until I parked across the street at another store, and showed her what was developing. The police arrived, and people scattered. My wife asked how I knew what was going on, and I told here I didn't know exactly what was happening, but it "felt" bad.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

Check out Ed Calderón. Ed's manifesto on fb and ig. Lots of good examples.

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

ScottDLS wrote:Unless you have had elite military or law enforcement training...you will never be able to approach the level of SA of the average small town Texas PD, or Navy SEALS. To make up for lack of SA skills, mere civilians should NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES open carry. Second you should wear at least level 3 body armor when outside your residence.

I always exit my vehicle with a tactical roll and jump to a standing position. Any eating establishment or saloon, I never sit with my back toward the entrance, and I scan each person who enters and give them a steely eyed glare. This will elicit twitching or rapid avoidance of eye contact from outlaws.

When I enter an unfamiliar location, I come in sideways with my weak side facing in, my strong side hand on my (drop-leg) holster palm in touching the pistol grip. I carry a FN 5.7 pistol and at least 5 extra mags in a pouch.

I think civilians should be required to take tactical training before being allowed the privilege of owning and carrying a handgun.

EDIT TO ADD: For those that don't get my wry, understated humor or rapier sharp wit...the above was not entirely serious. No insult intended to the original question which is very legitimate. Just trying to poke a little fun at some of the self appointed "tacticool" advice you sometimes see in the gun magazines and forums. ;-)
You forgot about having the family stack up before entrance into any building!

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

george wrote:The best method to increase your situational awareness, is to buy all of your family or friends those cheap self-defense shockers. After they sneak up and shock you a few times, your SA will be great.
:smilelol5: "rlol" :iagree:

Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are.
You will also start noticing people you only thought went to wal-mart......
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Situational awareness, is something that everyone has to practice, so that it becomes a habit. Start by mentally looking for exits in any building you enter. Sit in restaurants, where you have an unobstructed view of the door. Watch the body language of people around you. Look for people who's clothing, mannerisms, or anything else, doesn't quite fit in with the majority of the people around you.
Always know where you are, in case you have to call 9-1-1. Read street signs, mile markers, and notice landmarks. When driving through an unfamiliar neighborhood, look for tell tale signs of a high crime area, bars on windows, boarded up houses/buildings, abandoned vehicles, etc .Don't let yourself get pinned in while driving. While at red lights, and drive thrus, leave enough room from the car in front, to take evasive action. Check your mirror frequently, if you see the same car behind you after a few turns in a residential area, don't go home. Drive to the nearest PD, or FD. If that's not feasible, get on the phone with 9-1-1 and give them all of the info, as to your location, and they will direct you where to go.
Use you eyes to scan while walking, STAY OFF OF YOUR PHONE!! Use windows and other reflective surfaces, to see whats behind, and beside you.
Trust that nagging voice, or feeling that something is wrong. You will be surprised at the things you start to notice, after making a conscious effort to practice.
Criminals rely on distracted people to be their victims. If you look alert, and confident, you make a much less desirable target. Be safe.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”