ATI Shotguns & extractors vs. ejectors

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

puma guy
Posts in topic: 10

Re: ATI Shotguns & extractors vs. ejectors

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:I might just buy myself a Christmas present and get one of those in 12-ga
:thumbs2: One can't have too many! :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 15

Post by C-dub »

After doing further research/education on these shotguns and O/U in general, I decided to go ahead and plunk down a deposit this morning. They will let me put it on layaway and if paid within 30 days in cash I get the same as cash price all at once. So, the first $200 is in.

A couple of the concerns I had were how stiff everything seemed, but after reading this morning, it seems that is all normal. Another concern I didn't even know about until this morning was that several complaints on just about any shotgun in this price range, not just ATI, was firing pin issues. However, after continuing to read I came to the conclusion that the two most commons causes of this issue was either not properly cocking the gun when breaking it open to reset the pins or a weak/malfunctioning spring that is supposed to retract the spring after firing to prevent the pins being broken when closing the gun after reloading. The later might seem to be the primary cause of most issues surrounding breakage of the pins.

Another thing I noticed what that there doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews from actual users of many of the ATI Cavalry line of shotguns. I will try and do our part here in this thread as we go forward. The plan is to put another $200 in after payday again in two weeks and then the final payment two more weeks after that. Then we should get out to fire it for the first time on New Years day since my club will be putting on its monthly 5-stand match. I will shoot that and then we'll go on down to the skeet area. I hope to give a report of that first day upon returning home that day.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

C-dub wrote:After doing further research/education on these shotguns and O/U in general, I decided to go ahead and plunk down a deposit this morning. They will let me put it on layaway and if paid within 30 days in cash I get the same as cash price all at once. So, the first $200 is in.

A couple of the concerns I had were how stiff everything seemed, but after reading this morning, it seems that is all normal. Another concern I didn't even know about until this morning was that several complaints on just about any shotgun in this price range, not just ATI, was firing pin issues. However, after continuing to read I came to the conclusion that the two most commons causes of this issue was either not properly cocking the gun when breaking it open to reset the pins or a weak/malfunctioning spring that is supposed to retract the spring after firing to prevent the pins being broken when closing the gun after reloading. The later might seem to be the primary cause of most issues surrounding breakage of the pins.

Another thing I noticed what that there doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews from actual users of many of the ATI Cavalry line of shotguns. I will try and do our part here in this thread as we go forward. The plan is to put another $200 in after payday again in two weeks and then the final payment two more weeks after that. Then we should get out to fire it for the first time on New Years day since my club will be putting on its monthly 5-stand match. I will shoot that and then we'll go on down to the skeet area. I hope to give a report of that first day upon returning home that day.
Did you get the ejector or extractor model? BTW is this your daughter who pulled and kept score for us on the skeet shoots at Elm Fork?

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

puma guy wrote:
C-dub wrote:After doing further research/education on these shotguns and O/U in general, I decided to go ahead and plunk down a deposit this morning. They will let me put it on layaway and if paid within 30 days in cash I get the same as cash price all at once. So, the first $200 is in.

Did you get the ejector or extractor model? BTW is this your daughter who pulled and kept score for us on the skeet shoots at Elm Fork?
The model they have had the ejectors and yes, she's my one and only.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

C-dub wrote:
puma guy wrote:

The model they have had the ejectors and yes, she's my one and only.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2:

bulletslap
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bulletslap »

There are two inexpensive Turkish Shotguns I would consider, the Yildiz from Academy and the CZ branded guns.

I would also lean towards the extractors.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

bulletslap wrote:There are two inexpensive Turkish Shotguns I would consider, the Yildiz from Academy and the CZ branded guns.

I would also lean towards the extractors.
This will be my first O/U and after looking into all this I think I would have also preferred extractors, but this one is here and only a few blocks from my house. I think this will be just fine for getting her along a little further in skeet, trap, 5-stand, or even our new sporting clays course. We're starting off with skeet and we'll just see how she takes to that and if she wants to do anything else.

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

I like hammers also :cool:

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

"rlol"

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Made the final payment on it yesterday, picked it up, wrapped it, and gave it to her today for her birthday. She was so excited!

Good thing I put down a payment on it and thankful the guy let me put it on layaway. He said 4 other people had come in looking for one after I put my money down on it. He said the 20ga versions are hard to get a hold of. 12's he can get easily, but not the 20's.

Now to take it out to shoot. We might go out next weekend or New Years day. We'll see what the weather is like.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”