HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 13

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by locke_n_load »

Papa_Tiger wrote:
Scott Farkus wrote:
Russell wrote:On a different note, I hope we invest about 90% of our lobbying efforts towards this bill. I am personally way more interested in seeing this pass than constitutional carry this session.
:iagree:

I'm also far more interested in this than eliminating the LTC fees. I'll take both (and CC) of course, but hope we don't use all our chips on the others.

Is HB 560 going to be this session's HB 308, or will last session's HB 308 also be filed? Is one better than the other, or are they similar enough that it doesn't matter?
HB 560 (TX-85) is significantly more expansive than HB 308 (TX-84) was.
HB308 was a piece of the pie. HB560 is the whole enchilada (as far as carry locations go).
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

ELB
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ELB »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I have posted an article titled "HB560 by Rep. Springer: The Most Important Self-Defense Bill Since 2007" ...

Chas.
Very helpful!

One small typo nit: In the table "LTC less likely to commit a crime than the general public" the first line under that reads "21 less likely"; it should read "21 times less likely".

The section that laid out the current restrictions is very helpful to me as well.

good job.
USAF 1982-2005

Ruark
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Ruark »

....LTC 21 times less likely to commit a crime than the general public"...
Another little data point I've read often, although I haven't seen a cite, is that "police officers are seven times more likely to commit crimes than LTC holders." Seems like this would make an effective point in a committee or on the floor, but I haven't heard anybody use it.
-Ruark

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I have posted an article titled "HB560 by Rep. Springer: The Most Important Self-Defense Bill Since 2007" on the TFC website.

Chas.
Um, Wow..... an excellent summary of an excellent bill. Complete with a link to our State Senators & Reps.

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott Farkus »

locke_n_load wrote:HB308 was a piece of the pie. HB560 is the whole enchilada (as far as carry locations go).
Awesome, thanks! Sounds like we need a full-court press on this one. I'm about to e-mail my state representative, although I know it will do no good because she's an ultra left wing lesbian liberal Democrat social justice warrior type. But she's going to hear from me on this.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Scott Farkus wrote:
Russell wrote:On a different note, I hope we invest about 90% of our lobbying efforts towards this bill. I am personally way more interested in seeing this pass than constitutional carry this session.

I'm also far more interested in this than eliminating the LTC fees. I'll take both (and CC) of course, but hope we don't use all our chips on the others.

Is HB 560 going to be this session's HB 308, or will last session's HB 308 also be filed? Is one better than the other, or are they similar enough that it doesn't matter?
Both HB308 (2015) and HB560 (2017) are Rep. Springer's bills so I do not expect the see another HB308-type bill filed this session. Remember, HB308 was gutted in committee, so this is the danger we face. We must get massive support for HB560 and that support must translate to calls, faxes and emails to elected officials! Contact every friend, family member and fellow gun owner you know and spread the word. We and TFC may wind up being the only ones pushing hard for this Bill.

Chas.

Topic author
mr1337
Posts in topic: 15

Post by mr1337 »

doncb wrote:In plain language, what places where we can't carry now would we be able to carry with this bill? After reading through different things, I haven't been able to figure it out. All of the legalese makes my brain hurt. It almost reads that if there is a 30.06 /07 sign nothing changes.
Prohibited Before: (Per Texas Penal Code)
  • School/Educational Institution
  • Polling place
  • Court/Court offices
  • Racetrack
  • Secured areas of airports
  • Within 1,000 feet of execution of death sentence
  • Business that makes at least 51% of revenue from on-premise alcohol consumption sales
  • High school, collegiate, professional sporting event or interscholastic event
  • Correctional facility
  • Private property posted with 30.06 or 30.07 signs
  • While intoxicated
  • Areas controlled by federal law
  • In restricted areas established by public and private colleges and universities.
Someone let me know if I missed any (other than those locations that need a 30.06/30.07 sign like hospitals, amusement parks, and churches)

Prohibited After: (taken from TFC article)
  • Secured areas of airports;
  • Correctional facilities;
  • While intoxicated;
  • In areas controlled by federal law;
  • Private property posted with 30.06 or 30.07 signs;
  • In restricted areas established by public and private colleges and universities.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

ELB wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I have posted an article titled "HB560 by Rep. Springer: The Most Important Self-Defense Bill Since 2007" ...

Chas.
Very helpful!

One small typo nit: In the table "LTC less likely to commit a crime than the general public" the first line under that reads "21 less likely"; it should read "21 times less likely".

The section that laid out the current restrictions is very helpful to me as well.

good job.
Thanks, I fixed the typo.
Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Ruark wrote:
Another little data point I've read often, although I haven't seen a cite, is that "police officers are seven times more likely to commit crimes than LTC holders." Seems like this would make an effective point in a committee or on the floor, but I haven't heard anybody use it.
That ratio came from an Open Records Request I sent to TCLEOSE (now TCOLE) in 2013 for the 2013 Texas Legislative Session. I do not publish the written document I received and I quote from it sparingly. People try to claim I am attacking LEOs, but that's a lie. A "seven times" ratio is excellent.

I don't get the LEO data every session, only when I think it may be needed. I am going to get it for this session for obvious reasons.

Chas.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Both HB308 (2015) and HB560 (2017) are Rep. Springer's bills so I do not expect the see another HB308-type bill filed this session. Remember, HB308 was gutted in committee, so this is the danger we face. We must get massive support for HB560 and that support must translate to calls, faxes and emails to elected officials! Contact every friend, family member and fellow gun owner you know and spread the word. We and TFC may wind up being the only ones pushing hard for this Bill.

Chas.
Ahhh... didn't catch that. Thanks!

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 7

Post by AJSully421 »

Ruark wrote:

You would be 100% correct, however, anyone who said anything like that would be maliciously branded as "Anti law enforcement" and every lefty in the state would trip over themselves to run to the nearest TV camera to denounce how LTC holders all think that they are better than the cops and above the law... and that we hate puppies and kittens.

Politics....
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

allisji

Post by allisji »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Scott Farkus wrote:

Both HB308 (2015) and HB560 (2017) are Rep. Springer's bills so I do not expect the see another HB308-type bill filed this session. Remember, HB308 was gutted in committee, so this is the danger we face. We must get massive support for HB560 and that support must translate to calls, faxes and emails to elected officials! Contact every friend, family member and fellow gun owner you know and spread the word. We and TFC may wind up being the only ones pushing hard for this Bill.

Chas.
obviously we are all more than capable of doing our own digging, but it would be nice is TFC or TSRA or NRA could create a really simply form where any visitor could input his or her address and the site would display the names, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of all of his or her state legislative representatives along with a standard text to support the bill. That text could be copied and pasted into an email and sent to any or all of the representative email addresses.

The NRA has this feature to send a letter to your US Senators and US Representative.

Maybe something like this exists, and I am just not aware of it.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
mr1337
Posts in topic: 15

Post by mr1337 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
ELB wrote:

Chas.
Very helpful!

good job.
Thanks, I fixed the typo.
Chas.
Found another typo.

Last heading before the conclusion:
HB560 does not prevent private property owners form prohibiting the carrying of handguns.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rotor »

Scott Farkus wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:HB308 was a piece of the pie. HB560 is the whole enchilada (as far as carry locations go).
Awesome, thanks! Sounds like we need a full-court press on this one. I'm about to e-mail my state representative, although I know it will do no good because she's an ultra left wing lesbian liberal Democrat social justice warrior type. But she's going to hear from me on this.
Maybe she is a secret member of Pink Pistols.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”