Lost the sheriff last night

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 4

Lost the sheriff last night

Post by KD5NRH »

Going to be one rough Christmas for the family and the department.

http://theflashtoday.com/2016/12/20/era ... dead-home/
ERATH COUNTY (December 20, 2016) – Sheriff Tommy Bryant is gone. The Erath County Sheriff was found dead inside his home of a reported self-inflicted gunshot wound, law enforcement officials reported Tuesday morning.
Bryant, who was first elected to the office of sheriff in 1997 by Erath County voters, has said numerous times in the past that he was grateful to the residents of this county for the chance to serve them. And this year, he was elected to continue holding the seat another four years.
However, just last week, The Flash brought you news of an ongoing TCOLE investigation into the sheriff’s department. And while no one was yet named in that investigation, Bryant himself started the investigation by self-reporting a discrepancy with testing and certifications.
Bryant is survived by his wife, Donnie, and son, Thom Allen, and a host of his law enforcement family.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lost the sheriff last night

Post by C-dub »

Very unfortunate. I am greatly saddened for the family.

Now, it makes me wonder just how much trouble he really would have been in. It couldn't possibly have been that bad.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

C-dub wrote:Now, it makes me wonder just how much trouble he really would have been in. It couldn't possibly have been that bad.
For the part that I've heard about, virtually none; seems while he was out of town, one of the deputies found out he was behind on his training hours, logged in as him and took an online class to catch him up. He reported it when he found out, so there's no indication he was part of the actual violation other than not keeping up with his CE credits.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

KD5NRH wrote:
C-dub wrote:Now, it makes me wonder just how much trouble he really would have been in. It couldn't possibly have been that bad.
For the part that I've heard about, virtually none; seems while he was out of town, one of the deputies found out he was behind on his training hours, logged in as him and took an online class to catch him up. He reported it when he found out, so there's no indication he was part of the actual violation other than not keeping up with his CE credits.
There is no way... missing CE credits is a slap on the wrist fine (At least it is for Insurance licenses). Even if another Deputy did something, it should not blow back on the Sheriff, even if he ordered it, I am sure that it would be some sort of fine, maybe a probation, possibly a suspension or revocation of his LEO license, but that is not worth it.

This is bizarre.

Prayers for his family and the department.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Truly saddened to hear about this, I agree, for a self reported violation, that would probably not amount to much, I can't believe that this was the reason. There may have been other issues in his life that triggered this. Prayers sent for his family and friends.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nightmare69 »

2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

And today...

http://theflashtoday.com/2016/12/21/int ... officials/
ERATH COUNTY (December 21, 2016) – A little more than 24 hours after Erath County Sheriff Tommy Bryant was found dead inside his home, at least three of his top-ranking employees were suspended.

Bryant died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound early Tuesday morning. A source close to the case, who asked to not be named, said Bryant’s chief deputy and next in command, Jason Upshaw, was among those suspended by interim Sheriff Matt Coates.

Coates was sworn into office Tuesday after an emergency meeting of Erath County Commissioners, who deliberated the appointment for the better part of a day in closed session Monday.

The source said Deputy Weldon Wilson, Cpt. Randy Fowler and Lt. Bobby Mendez were also suspended. Upshaw, Fowler and Mendez were a part of the sheriff’s criminal investigation division.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nightmare69 »

I have a feeling the Texas Rangers will be stepping in on this investigation soon.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

nightmare69 wrote:I have a feeling the Texas Rangers will be stepping in on this investigation soon.
As I understand it, they already are. I think everyone really wants it sorted out quickly, so anyone not involved can get back to work ASAP. Three deputies off patrol and a sudden change of sheriff is a big impact for the department.

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”