So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tk1700
Posts in topic: 1

Woman fires warning shot at GA Waffle House

Post by tk1700 »

WOW! So many things wrong about this.

After robbery when BG's are getting in their vehicle she fears for her life, the article leads you to believe they were leaving.

She retrieves a gun from her car and fires a warning shot in the air to "scare them away" because she isn't sure if they are getting a gun. Maybe better option is get her gun and take cover to observe or possibly just stay inside. Hard to say without more details and exactly what the situation was.

Says the round she fired in the air was "safely" fired. This doesn't even deserve a comment.

She claims her shot worked because they "rapidly drove off".

Now she is seeking donations because she has 3 kids and a disabled husband. She may need the money for some legal fees!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/01/wa ... bbery.html

Unless she is a prohibited person, she has the right to own a gun to defend herself, but she also has the responsibility to know how to safely operate and employ that gun, which it appears she didn't have. I'm not sure how to allow everyone to exercise their 2A rights but at the same time make sure it is exercised safely and responsibly. My guess is a lot of first time gun owners have rushed out and purchased a gun and done nothing to learn safety, operation and legal aspects of firearms ownership. I know forum members are great about educating those new to firearms and encouraging training (firearm operation, tactical and legal) and regular practice. This may be the the best way to decrease the number of incidents like this one.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Woman fires warning shot at GA Waffle House

Post by Jusme »

When I first saw the title, I thought a woman had been attacked by a waffle house and had to fire a warning shot at it. :mrgreen:

Yeah.."safely" into the air, in an populated area? NOT!!
Shooting for any reason after the threat has left is not kosher. I'm sorry she lost her job, but the Waffle House would end up having to pay a damages to an innocent third party for any injuries incurred from her "warning shot" so they had no choice. If she had thwarted the robbery, and lost her job, I would be a lot more sympathetic. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I think you are being a little harsh. Not everyone reacts in the best way, but the end results are what matters most. She and her customers were unhurt and safe. She isn't likely to face any serious legal consequences.

Let's look at her situation. She worked at Waffle house, I assume that she worked late nights and she didn't have a CHL/LTC so she kept it in her truck. Car carry is legal in Georgia. There is very little opportunity to learn the rules unless one takes a CHL class. Georgia has nothing like this forum and most people believe that they are educated and trained enough by watching Law and Order and The Rifleman on TV.

OK, let's look at what happened. It's obvious she knew what to say afterward. (somebody coached her?) She claimed she feared for her life. and that she shot in a safe direction and up. The area looked pretty rural to me. If we are never to shoot into the air none of us would ever hunt squirrel or possum. I don't think it's hardly ever a good idea to shoot warning shots. but in this case, she did no harm, The thing is it has been done often by people much more highly trained than her, and with much worse results.

My point is that we weaken ourselves if we get too critical about who should be allowed to have a gun. I carried in Georgia many times, and to tell the truth, I still don't know if it would be legal to plug one of these guys in the back. The right to defend ourselves is greater than the need to have everyone registered, trained and licensed. .. Maybe we in the community need to make more effort to train the general public.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

K5CLC

Post by K5CLC »

I was attacked by a waffle house once, the sausage patties.. uhg. burp. But i didn't shoot at it.
:evil2: :smash:

But honestly, in an adrenaline filled fear situation where you are feeling the threat of attack then anything is possible how we might react, and we can talk all big and proud until it really happens. I would put money on the fact that 99% of us would not have the calm cool steady hand of a seal team sniper in a similar situation or worse. And as just regular citizens, we can only hope our occasional range time and hundreds of youtube videos we've watched on self-defense get us through safely.
We live and breathe this stuff because we enjoy it, she's just a mom and wife working at a waffle house. If our wives or girlfriends were under attack and scared away a criminal the same way I think i'd be taking her to Longhorn Steakhouse for dinner! "Good job baby.." then later explain what not to do. :lol:
My 2.5 cents.
Chris
The Intelligent Response is a Brave Response : http://tinyurl.com/BraveResponse

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Liberty wrote:I think you are being a little harsh. Not everyone reacts in the best way, but the end results are what matters most. She and her customers were unhurt and safe. She isn't likely to face any serious legal consequences.

Let's look at her situation. She worked at Waffle house, I assume that she worked late nights and she didn't have a CHL/LTC so she kept it in her truck. Car carry is legal in Georgia. There is very little opportunity to learn the rules unless one takes a CHL class. Georgia has nothing like this forum and most people believe that they are educated and trained enough by watching Law and Order and The Rifleman on TV.

OK, let's look at what happened. It's obvious she knew what to say afterward. (somebody coached her?) She claimed she feared for her life. and that she shot in a safe direction and up. The area looked pretty rural to me. If we are never to shoot into the air none of us would ever hunt squirrel or possum. I don't think it's hardly ever a good idea to shoot warning shots. but in this case, she did no harm, The thing is it has been done often by people much more highly trained than her, and with much worse results.

My point is that we weaken ourselves if we get too critical about who should be allowed to have a gun. I carried in Georgia many times, and to tell the truth, I still don't know if it would be legal to plug one of these guys in the back. The right to defend ourselves is greater than the need to have everyone registered, trained and licensed. .. Maybe we in the community need to make more effort to train the general public.

Maybe I was bit abrupt, in my assessment, but I never intimated, that she should not be able to own a gun. I agree people make mistakes, and don't always react to situations in the best manner. I know that even properly trained people have fired "warning shots" There was a Deputy Sheriff, in Johnson County, working as a bailiff, who pursued a fleeing suspect from the courthouse and fired "warning shots" in downtown Cleburne. The point I was making, was that there is no way to know if a shot fired into the air, is "safe". Had the situation turned out where her shot, hit another person, Waffle House would be the ones to fade the heat in any litigation. So I don't fault them for terminating her employment.
I doubt that she will face legal ramifications, but I think once she left the building, and went to the parking lot, her fear for her safety argument, is weak at best. I also agree that if she is going to carry, even in her vehicle, she needs more training to help her react differently. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

goose

Post by goose »

K5CLC wrote:But honestly, in an adrenaline filled fear situation where you are feeling the threat of attack then anything is possible how we might react, and we can talk all big and proud until it really happens. I would put money on the fact that 99% of us would not have the calm cool steady hand of a seal team sniper in a similar situation or worse. And as just regular citizens, we can only hope our occasional range time and hundreds of youtube videos we've watched on self-defense get us through safely.
We live and breathe this stuff because we enjoy it, she's just a mom and wife working at a waffle house. If our wives or girlfriends were under attack and scared away a criminal the same way I think i'd be taking her to Longhorn Steakhouse for dinner! "Good job baby.." then later explain what not to do. :lol:
My 2.5 cents.
Chris
We live and breath this stuff in here so that in the off chance that we are ever plunged into an adrenaline filled fear situation we will hopefully make choices as good as possible. For any lurkers reading along and learning, they need to know/read that most of us aren't proponents of firing warning shots into the air.

I haven't read yet that anyone called her a bad person or mother. We are saying that if we run across this in the future, we might do things differently. a huge percentage of the conversations here are what ifs. She just gave us a chance to talk about possibly better choices, i.e. the retrieving of the handgun and taking cover.

For us, the forum in always the "then later explain what not to do" portion of the equation. There are a few folks that puff up their chest and talk big and proud, but most of us are pretty easy going and well aware of our shortcomings as mortals.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Jusme wrote: Maybe I was bit abrupt, in my assessment, but I never intimated, that she should not be able to own a gun. I agree people make mistakes, and don't always react to situations in the best manner. I know that even properly trained people have fired "warning shots" There was a Deputy Sheriff, in Johnson County, working as a bailiff, who pursued a fleeing suspect from the courthouse and fired "warning shots" in downtown Cleburne. The point I was making, was that there is no way to know if a shot fired into the air, is "safe". Had the situation turned out where her shot, hit another person, Waffle House would be the ones to fade the heat in any litigation. So I don't fault them for terminating her employment.
I doubt that she will face legal ramifications, but I think once she left the building, and went to the parking lot, her fear for her safety argument, is weak at best. I also agree that if she is going to carry, even in her vehicle, she needs more training to help her react differently. JMHO
You are right. Incidents like this are good object lessons for the rest of us to learn from. My main concern though is that while we hope that we will be properly trained and with a correct mind set when things go down incidents like this promote a thought process that only the highly trained and elite or professionals should be allowed to carry. We have both MOMs and people in our own community who resist the right to carry by everyone. The discussions on Open Carry, reduced training for LTC, and federal laws forcing CHL recognition for other states bear this out.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Jusme wrote: Had the situation turned out where her shot, hit another person, Waffle House would be the ones to fade the heat in any litigation. So I don't fault them for terminating her employment.
She needs firearms handling training in addition to a new job. After reading many of the online comments posted on the bottom of the stories about this incident she has a lot of people who need to join her in learning more about how to safely handle firearms.

Waffle House would probably prefer that once the robbers leave the building the employees lock the door and call 911.

Hollywood is responsible for people believing that warning shots can be fired "safely."
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

KLB

Post by KLB »

Jusme wrote:Yeah.."safely" into the air, in an populated area? NOT!!
I have some reasonably remote rural land. I don't fire into the air
even there. I don't want to kill someone's cow.

edited: I meant "air," not "land."
Last edited by KLB on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

I saw this on Twitter and was quite surprised at the "go gettem girl" & "good job" from plenty 2A supporters based on bios. How does this not violate the basic rules of discharging a firearm in regards to knowing your target & what's beyond it? What was her target? Where is the spent round going to stop? This ain't bout trashing the lady it's about taking this as chance to say wait don't do that. I want her to own a defensive firearm, but if someone around her doesn't help educate her she could regret ever buying that gun.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Return to “Never Again!!”