This is why you don't draw on a drawn gun!

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

This is why you don't draw on a drawn gun!

Post by Paladin »

WARNING! The following video is graphic showing a multiple shootings and a LEO fatality. WARNING!

This video shows what works and what in this instance did not work. It is my hope that members can learn from this video

WARNING! GRAPHIC
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: This is why you don't draw on a drawn gun!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This is an excellent video. I don't like the age-old statement "don't draw on a drawn gun." That's far too broad. The second shooting that was successful was a situation where the good guy successfully drew on a drawn gun. It's far more accurate to state "don't draw on a drawn gun when you are the focus of attention." Even then, there are circumstances when that's the only option.

I'd bet the dead officer had a retention holster that cost him his life. As long as the thug took to shoot him, the officer might have lived with a non-retention holster.

Chas.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I agree, In the first example, the highest priority was to get out of the X AND disarm the bad guy and/or hold the Pistol Muzzle and pointed away from you. The police tried to push forward, he should have kept with his strategy and ram the bad guy and turn behind him and try to disarm him.
In the second example, the shot was way too close. The hostage could have been shot in the face. However, the strategy worked, distract, draw, and return fire.

That being said, in the first example, the adrenaline dump was high that the LEO has narrowed tunnel vision and "less time to think".
Oh, it is not graphic.... no gore, no blood, and it is a grainy video.
Last edited by Beiruty on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Seems like one needs a dose of common sense and to not over estimate one's abilities.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Personally I would have gone for the disarm in the first officer's situation, but to be confident of a disarm does require proper disarm training.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Paladin wrote:Personally I would have gone for the disarm in the first officer's situation, but to be confident of a disarm does require proper disarm training.

On Auto-pilot mode, your "inner-brain" would take over. Survivalism mode is ON.
Beiruty,

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Beiruty wrote:
Paladin wrote:Personally I would have gone for the disarm in the first officer's situation, but to be confident of a disarm does require proper disarm training.

Certainly the officers action appear to demonstrate a gun focused training, where he focused on attempting to get his gun out of his holster as opposed to taking other action. Having experienced a retention holster not wanting to let go of my gun at in-opportune times I can sympathize with him. You really have to train with retention holsters under stress to find out what you need to do to reliably draw your gun under duress.

My auto-pilot doesn't have a gun focus, but that takes substantial training.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

:iagree: Failure to control the weapon in that close quarters situation is a training issue.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

Beiruty wrote:

That's why you train. You can train your "inner brain", but it takes time andwork.
USAF 1982-2005

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

ELB wrote:
Beiruty wrote:

That's why you train. You can train your "inner brain", but it takes time and work.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Sweat saves blood
Beiruty,

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I agree that saying "don't draw on a drawn gun" is far too broad and general. If someone has a gun on me, and I am convinced that I am about to be shot anyway, what do I have to lose by going down fighting?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

This lady didn't read the rule about not drawing on a drawn gun:
http://abc13.com/news/pistol-packing-gr ... r/1685244/
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

RossA wrote:I agree that saying "don't draw on a drawn gun" is far too broad and general. If someone has a gun on me, and I am convinced that I am about to be shot anyway, what do I have to lose by going down fighting?
And based on a lot of the self defense stories I see, many criminals are using fake guns, unloaded guns, or just don't have any idea how to use a gun. You still need to be careful and use distraction and movement as best you can.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'd bet the dead officer had a retention holster that cost him his life. As long as the thug took to shoot him, the officer might have lived with a non-retention holster.

Chas.

In this particular situation, yes. The officer may still be living or gotten a shot off having an non-retention holster. When you're fighting for you life with someone bigger and stronger than you, a good level 3 holster can save your life. I believe the pros outway the cons on retention holsters. I practice my draw weekly for a reason.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

MechAg94 wrote:
RossA wrote:I agree that saying "don't draw on a drawn gun" is far too broad and general. If someone has a gun on me, and I am convinced that I am about to be shot anyway, what do I have to lose by going down fighting?
And based on a lot of the self defense stories I see, many criminals are using fake guns, unloaded guns, or just don't have any idea how to use a gun. You still need to be careful and use distraction and movement as best you can.
Using almost 5,000 newspaper stories, Clayton Cramer and a couple other guys produced some interesting statistics about citizens' defensive use of firearms. One of them was that out of 338 cases where a person wielding a gun was disarmed, only 11 times was it the good guy who was disarmed. In the other 227 cases the bad guy started out armed with a gun, and his would-be victim took it away. In one of the 11 cases where the good guy was disarmed, the homeowner had a rifle, which a bad guy got away from him. So the homeowner drew his pistol and shot the bad guy.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Never Again!!”